Need help with my feroza

mariosconsta
I'm new, be nice!

Need help with my feroza

Unread post by mariosconsta » February 11th, 2015, 1:26 am

Greeting guys!
Am fairly new here that's why I'd like you to show some remorse!

So, i have a Daihatsu Feroza(1989) and i thing its the narrow track versio. I've been in love with this car since i was a little kid and now that i can drive it(am 18) i want to get into off-road and modify my car the best i possibly can (powerwise). I've been stalking these forums for a couple of days now getting as much information as i can about my car and how these type of cars work, but its time to ask some questions!

The first thing that i see everyone recomend is changing the exhaust manifold or the whole system in general, so my question is: Should i put a different manifold or put a header instead? Or should i change the whole excaust? Also i've seen people talking about sizes regarding the excaust, what is the best size of an excaust to install on a feroza?

Thats the first thing, the second thing is: people said that airflow is critical and i've read 2 options. The first one is that i should put a Κ&Μ filter because the engine will breath better, the other option is that should put a snorkel, will the snorkel filter the air too? I know that the snorkel can provide cool air but regarding how the engine breathes during dusty rides, which is better

Final question for now is:
I would like to lift my car to the point where i can put 30inch tyres, are the torsion bars capable lifting the car that high without giving me riding troubles? Eventually i will change the suspension system but It will be later on due to limited budget!
These are all the unclear questions that i have and i would like you fellas to give me all the tips that you can give me!

Thanks for reading.
-Marios.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Need help with my feroza

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 15th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Throw away the std exhaust manifold marios, & fit a good set of headers/extractors - it won't hurt to fit a free flowing exhaust at the same time either, but it's the stdm manifolds that are renowned for cracking & for choking the exhaust flow out of the engine! ;)

As for air flow being critical, it is - BUT, that placcy inlet tract with the big box in the middle of it is essential to maintain the mid rev range grunt - and the drum style air clearner is one of the better units on the market!! So, don't muck around with that too much - unless of course you want to loose a heap of mid range torque... :confused: If you want to fit a snorkel, fit one that joins up to the existing drum air cleaner & keep the black placcy inlet tract - you will keep the better torque curve that way AND get the benefit of clean & cool air from above the windshield instead of inside the guard! It can help to replace the air filter inside the drum with a Finer Filter or UniFilter oil filled foam unit, those made in Aust will filter smaller dust &/or water particles out of the improved air flow if they are properly maintained, but the K&M & other after mkt filters tend to improve air flow by letting bigger bits of crud thru as well - not great if you are driving in dusty conditions! :(

While it might be possible to fit 30" tyres, you really don't want to lift that IFS front end any more than about 35 mm over the stock height without doing a lot more than just winding up the torsion bars - & even if you do lift it 35 mm thru winding the bars alone, you still aren't going to get any more suspension travel!! Much higher than that & you will get awful ride on the highway and no droop in the suspension travel for off roading, so less traction there! That's the drawback with IFS front ends, the total range of travel is pretty much fixed unless you want to start doing things like fitting custom/longer arms, dropping the diff, moving the in-board pivot points, &/or maybe even changing the torsion bars too - anything else is basically just fiddling with where the static ride height is within the pre-set maximum range of suspension travel that the vehicle left the factory with... :(

But you can lift the rear about 50mm, & teaming that with lifting the front to the 'top of the middle third of its total range of travel' & no more than 35mm maximum can still give you a lot more room for bigger tyres - add a little 'massaging' & maybe a tiny bit of guard trimming & you can fit 245/75R15's under there (usually a nominal 30" dia tyre) & that won't stuff around with your gearing too much - go much bigger than that & you'll need to consider some gearing changes to compensate for the bigger tyre & the loss of low speed grunt & crawl speed... or replace your clutch a whole lot more often! :p

Enjoy
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mariosconsta
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Need help with my feroza

Unread post by mariosconsta » February 15th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Thank you very much for the tips Peter! Am currently saving for the excaust and snorkel, my tyres are currently in a good condition so i might leave them for now :)

Return to “Feroza”