Feroza Mechanic Sydney area?

donnyboy
I'm new, be nice!

Feroza Mechanic Sydney area?

Unread post by donnyboy » January 13th, 2015, 9:15 am

Hi all,

I bought a 93 Feroza 2 sometime back and have started having trouble with it. There is a major oil and coolant leak. I tried to investigate where the leaks were coming from but to no avail. All I was able to establish was that the coolant was leaking from the front of the engine (i'm guessing through a hose) and the oil from just above the gear box. I can't really make out whether it's leaking from a blown gasket or some other outlet (that's if there are any outlets there in the first place). Does anyone know a trustworthy mechanic in or around Sydney where I could take the car? I'm not certain it is a blow gasket or a cracked head because the car doesn't show any other symptoms - no oil in the coolant or vice versa, no coffee coloured oil in the oil chamber, no overheating, etc. Also, has this happened to anyone else and was it a gasket problem or a simple thing like change old pipes/bolts, etc?
Thanks.
Don.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Feroza Mechanic Sydney area?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 13th, 2015, 1:34 pm

On a Feroza II, those leaks you describe are most often a failed water pump/water pump seal (on the shaft the fan spins on) up front, the distributor seal itself (easy fix) & the half round bit of seal in the back of the rocker cover, altho some develop an oil leak back there from the head, right where you can't see it under the distributor on the back of the engine. Usually it's a reasonably straight forward 'replace the water pump & gasket' thing up front; & if you are lucky it's just a 'replace/renew the rocker cover gasket' up the back. But if it's the head thing, your engine might also be suffering some from overheating (not necessarily at all or even badly tho!!) & maybe some coolant loss back there too - but if you've got that then it will often also show up as white milky froth (sorta like just a little bit of yoghurt) accumulating under the oil filler cap or on the dipstick, often just the tiniest of smears, at least to start with!!

The Anything to do with 4By's general section has a thread on Recommended a 4By Mechanic/Workshop quick search thread including a few in the Sydney area, probably worth a search/bit of a look - here tis! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9326 - Once you open the thread, you should be able to enter Sydney in the 'Search this topic' field & get all the Sydney posts back, altho there are probably a few asking for recommendations as well. Still, it's a good place to start. And don't forget that Toyota Australia is now the Daihatsu agent in Aust (Toyato pretty much owns Daihatsu now anyway, & there was a lot of commonality between their vehicles back when they were being made as well.) but going to them is generally a fairly expensive thing.

Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

donnyboy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by donnyboy » January 13th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Thanks a ton for the detailed reply. You're spot on about the oil leaking from just below the distributor and it's really hard to see where exactly its coming from. So, in that case, your prediction is a blown gasket? Bligh me!! I checked again, and this time carefully, and still can't see any white/brown residue on the oil cap or dip stick. I also ran the engine for a bit and checked the coolant which looked fine. Any idea how much it would cost to repair if it's a gasket issue??
Thanks again for all your help.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 13th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Because of where the leak might be back there, you might not necessarily have any oil leaking into the coolant (or vice versa) It could just be leaking out of the block/oil galleries & running down the back of the engine!! Sooo, I'd still be checking the distributor seal & then the rocker cover gasket first, if it's that it can still be bloody hard to spot exactly where it's coming from, & the half moon cut-out in the back of the cover is notoriously hard to seal properly!! If it's looks like it's not the distributor, then have a go at the rocker cover gasket first, & see if that fixes it!! A new (or at least good) gasket with some gasket seal/silicone added, especially around those half moon cut-out bits (make sure you get the corners of those, as well as the arch itself) might be enough to fix it.

Buut, if that doesn't sort it & you've still got the oil leak coming from back there, use a mirror & a light to look carefully at the join between the head & the block across the back of the engine, to see if it looks like it is the head gasket. If it is, then it can really be anyone's guess as to how much it'll cost to get fixed. These hi revving little 1600 multi-valve jobbies are an overhead cam engine that rely on all that overhead gear working properly at hi revs for long periods, so it's not quite as straight-forwards to fix just the head gasket as it can be on a push-rod type engine. Whoever does the job really needs to be careful with the cam, valve gear, & timing gear - probably not something to do yourself if it's your first go at serious 'spanner spinning' on a daily driver!! And of course if it's just the gasket, it shouldn't be too expensive to get it done. But, if you hafta take the head off an older engine (and with a '93 Feroza, it IS an older engine! 22 years old or there-abouts!!) it's always smart to get the head checked out properly to make sure it's still true, got no cracks in it anywhere, good valve seats, stem seals, etc... If your engine has done one or two hundred thousand k or more, as many vehicles of that vintage have, then that might not be the case - & getting a worn or dodgy head reconditioned properly can cost a fair bit more than a simple gasket change!!

Still, try the rocker cover gasket first, if that doesn't sort it, then getting a compression check done is probably a good start. If the compression is down anywhere, even tho the engine might not yet have any other indications, then you probably should go ahead with pulling the head off; but if it's still got good compression across all the cylinders, with not too much variation between any of them, then maybe (unless the oil is leaking out bloody quickly) it's better just to keep it/get the leaked oil cleaned off regularly (so it doesn't look bad for rego etc) & just drive it until it gets worse?! If you still don't have any signs of oil in the coolant, then it's probably just leaking oil out the back of the head/block/gasket join & it might be OK just so long as you don't let the engine run out of oil.

If you decide to run with it for a while, that means you'll hafta keep a watchful eye on the coolant (both for use & for signs of oil in there) & on oil use, check both before you start the engine up for the first time every day & top up if necessary; check the oil after a couple of hundred km driving if you go on long trips (stop the engine with the vehicle on level ground & let it sit for 5 mins or so first tho!); & work out how much oil it's using. If it ends up using anything much more than say 1 litre every 5000 km/between changes (these things don't have a big sump, so you wouldn't want it to use much more than that!) then it might be getting to the stage of worrying more about it & doing the head. But in the meantime, you might be able to drive it for another 20-50,000 km - just don't whatever you do use one of those oil additive type 'engine reconditioners' or oil flush type products on it!! They are often the death knell for engines with this sort of symptom!! And don't fall into the trap of using cheap quality oil just cos the engine's using a bit!! If it's using a bit then what's left in there needs to be GOOD QUALITY, one of the better name brands & of the right spec/quality for your engine! Using cheap stuff usually just means the engine'll wear out quicker & leak oil out faster - better quality stuff minimises the wear, cleans the contaminants out the way it should, & generally they even leak out of this sort of leak slower!!

Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

donnyboy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by donnyboy » January 13th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Peter, mate...you're a legend for writing up such a detailed reply...thanks a ton

donnyboy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by donnyboy » January 18th, 2015, 4:38 pm

So, had the Feroza checked by a mechanic... Got oil leaking from three areas - distributor seal, oil pressure switch and oil filter. There is also a major coolant leak from under the intake manifold. Quote for parts - $80. Quote for Labour - $600-$800 (ouch). I thought of doing it myself, but don't have the tools or the know-how. Have also asked him to change the timing belt while he was at it. Another $150. Hopefully, after this - the car is good for another thousand k's. Just thought I'd post what was wrong with the car, as it might be helpful to someone else facing a similar problem.

Return to “Feroza”