How to test a Feroza Coil Pack? What's the go with replacemt

Adventure Dan
I'm new, be nice!

How to test a Feroza Coil Pack? What's the go with replacemt

Unread post by Adventure Dan » September 5th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Pulled up today, went into the shop, came back & she wont start.

Kicking over quite well, but wont fire. Checked i had fuel (haha), all fuses, could hear the fuel pump run on reds.

I pulled a plug lead out, screw driver in - rested on metal earth & kicked but no spark.

Previous owner was a top help running me through all the possibilities & narrowed down to the coil pack.

Is there a way to test these? I will go to a pick a part & with any luck get one but dont want to get back to find it wasnt the problem or the pick a part one has crapped out too.

Another question, can i get a better one if it turns out to be the coil? MSD or anything like that - that may work better or...?
Feroza F300 93'

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: How to test a Feroza Coil Pack? What's the go with repla

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 5th, 2014, 5:24 pm

You've pretty much done the testing already! Last time I had one fail, I went & got a new coil pack fm the local Autopro; didn't cost a heap and it was far safer than paying for a second hand unit from anywhere!! I must admit I also got a new set of plugs, leads, & dist cap at the same time, but the engine ran a helluva lot better once they were all fitted! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Adventure Dan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Adventure Dan » September 5th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Thanks Pete,

yep :lol: didnt even cross my mind to goto an auto shop... i just keep hearing how parts are costly & hard to come by so getting parts from a wreck probably made me think it would be cheaper haha

Previous owner advised he had done plugs & rotor button 6 months ago...

Will gernying (spelling?) the engine bay clean & getting water on the coil make a 'fail' come about quicker?

Is there any upgrade for the coil that you know of?

My feroza is newly aquired btw (1 month since bought)
Feroza F300 93'

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 5th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Don't EVER use a pressure sprayer near the vehicle!! :eek: Not only is it likely to stuff up the electrics, it's also likely to force grit & crap past seals & bearings underneath and kill them far sooner than otherwise!! A hose spray, sure, that should be OK - the std Maso-jet thing that's effectively just a nozzle to go on your hose should be OK IF you avoid spraying directly onto the coils, dist cap, plug leads, alternator etc as well as any seals & bearings, but a pressure sprayer/gurni is almost guaranteed to kill the coil &/or elecs sooner rather than later. :(

I am not aware of any 'specific' upgrades for the Feroza coil, but ask your local Auto or speed shop - the engine came in a few varieties & degrees of hi po tune, and the DeTomaso version may well have a 'better' coil pack! ;)

BTW, if you spend the time & effort to work out which bits to get, almost all of the Feroza parts can be replaced with the equivalent Hilux or Toyota bit - there are very few exceptions.

And if you don't get what you need here, do check out http://www.warfs.org for any info or workshop manuals etc, there's a heap there! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Adventure Dan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Adventure Dan » September 5th, 2014, 6:48 pm

ah crap :rolleyes: i did make sure i wasnt hammering it near the airfilter or folding the fins over on the radiator :lol: but yeh :eek: i had never thought about the high pressure part - just thinking well they get submerged in short bursts so this shouldnt hurt... :crazy: not the best move.

I guess now that you've told me, im sure the coil is done, man i feel like you guys think i am :lol:

Gotcha, makes sense about the hard core pressure with seals etc, 'noted'

I will check out warf's, with the toyota replaceable gear, is it a particular model that the feroza swaps with - or various?
Feroza F300 93'

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 5th, 2014, 8:35 pm

No-one feels you are any worse than the rest of us.... we've all been there sometime :o and if we keep on trying, we will probably be there again! :sillywink: The only person who never stuffs up something hasn't ever tried anything! The HP sprayer thing is something that many don't think about (or remember) until it does something expensive enough to hurt & make it memorable, but again... we've all been there!!

As for the parts thing, I really think it comes down to 'whatever was in the parts bin' at the time (usually late 80's early 90's) it doesn't seem to be from any one model, a lot of stuff just comes from whatever vehicles/models are from around the same vintage - I had some diff mods done on one of our Ferozas that ended up using bits from early Dyna's, Hilux 2WD's, & also IIRR, some stuff that was labelled as being for a Camry.... :eek: So it's often best just to pull the part & take it to visit your local spare parts place, especially if they know Toyota's well, and ask them for 'one of these' - they will often know exactly what Toyota bit to get, & only if they have hassles should you mention that it's actually from a Daihatsu Feroza! ;)

Adventure Dan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Adventure Dan » September 6th, 2014, 6:42 pm

unreal cheers Pete!

Did some reading on warfs & went into the tech manual around the coil section & read that you could 'multimetre' the points, i got a reading off my coil of 25.7 (had the metre set on 200 ohms) and a brand new one at repco next to it on the bench & it read 23.5, based on that, i figure my coil is ok but i couldnt be sure because i didnt buy the new one for $117 to see if i was wrong haha.

I was reading that the igniter can let go also - but that means pulling the entire dizzy out and im not sure if i will get it back on correctly with my current knowledge...

I'll carry on and report what the actual prob is once i fix it :lol:
Feroza F300 93'

Return to “Feroza”