New (old) 94 Fez SP2 - questions

thehappyidiot
I'm new, be nice!

New (old) 94 Fez SP2 - questions

Unread post by thehappyidiot » August 7th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Hi all,
bought a 94 Feroza SP2 recently. Had a problem with the Roadworthy provided by the seller (now resolved) and there are a couple of things bamboozling me...
Here's a heart-warming story...I bought the beast with 10 months rego and a RWC (Victoria, so Roadworthy required on transfer of reg). I had it checked out and a service, grease, oil change etc after I bought it, and it came back with a comment -'front discs aren't roadworthy - 16mm instead of the minimum 17mm disc thickness'.
I rang the guy who did the roadworthy, and he said - bring it in, no questions - and replaced the front discs, no charge...

so, all being well, there shouldn't be any brake issues fro the next few thousand k's. The lesson I take from that is, when you buy a new/old car, get it serviced and checked over immediately before the RWC expires...

Anyway, the questions:
1. I had the front parking lights replaced because they had weren't working. got home last night, and they aren't working again... I have noticed that when I turn the headlights on, the engine note changes and appears to be labouring...anyone have any thoughts on this?
2. I have a clock and inclinometer in the dash, with one blank spot - any suggestions on what the (missing) third instrument should be?
Pb
...keeping the Shiny side up is probably best....

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: New (old) 94 Fez SP2 - questions

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 9th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Getting a service & replacing all the old oils & lubricants when you get a new to you vehicle is always a good thing, don't forget to replace all the filters; the oil filter, both fuel filters, & the air filter too!!

Check that the parking light globes haven't rusted into their bases & shorted first, maybe replace the globes &/or the entire parking light assy with an LED parker/indicator combo. Apart from that, your main loom earth from the battery or headlight loom is probably not all that good so it's earthing thru the park lights & blowing that fuse... check the main earth at the battery terminal end, where the cable bolts to the body, and the earth between the body & the chassis, maybe the starter earth too. Your labouring when the lights are on could also be due to larger than std globes in the headlights, so that when you turn them on the alt is overtaxed - they aren't a massive output alt std, and a bigger draw than they can provide will have an impact on the injector pulse & a few other things that are important to the engine running properly. So if sorting your earth/s out properly doesn't resolve the issue as well as fixing the blowing fuse issue, then you'll need to look at replacing or upgrading the battery &/or alternator, possibly both....

As for the Binnacle on the dash, you aren't missing anything!! The SP's didn't ever have 3 instruments in there, in fact I think it was only the SXII F310's that did, and there weren't too many of them in Aust, most of the SXII's were F300's that came with the same two instruments you've got!! Almost all of the Feroza's only had two instruments in that binnacle, altho quite a few only had a clock... Buuut, if you are looking at adding another/a third instrument in there, the SXII F310's generally had a digital clock, the inclinometer, & a Volt meter, altho there were a few variations on which went where, and some got analogue clocks instead of the digital version. Here in Aust, we got a variety of models & spec versions that were mixed & matched depending on what was available at the time, so the range of accessories & fittings like that is almost limitless in what you got as well as where you might find it!!

If you want any more info on Feroza's & Rocky's, please do post up here; but it's also worth checking out www.warfs.org - the website for is the Worldwide Association of Rocky, Feroza, Sportrak & Freeclimber II Owners - a great resource if you can work your way thru it!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

thehappyidiot
I'm new, be nice!

Re: New (old) 94 Fez SP2 - questions

Unread post by thehappyidiot » August 17th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Ahh - Typo in my original post - it is actually an SX11, F310 (wide-track)...not SP...

Thanks Peter for the tips above - I'll hopefully get a chance in the next week or so to get it into a (warm) shed where I can have a good look at it.
...keeping the Shiny side up is probably best....

Return to “Feroza”