shorted out the alternator cable and now nothing works!

beardieman89
I'm new, be nice!

shorted out the alternator cable and now nothing works!

Unread post by beardieman89 » July 6th, 2014, 1:46 am

Was changing the thermostat today and when putting everything back together I shorted out the alternator power cable on the engine (was in a rush, turns out I forgot to disconnect the battery). Now I've got nothing on the ignition live, no dash lights, no full beam, no nothing. Still got power somewhere as the hazards and parking lights still work.
I've been trying to chase down the cause for hours now, found no blown fuses, fixed up a cable that looked a bit suspect and have found no signs of any burnt or melted cables. This is driving me INSANE!!!!! If anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: shorted out the alternator cable and now nothing works!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 6th, 2014, 9:16 am

Sounds like you've blown the main engine fusible link, or maybe a couple of them!! If it is that, then hanging off the side of the battery is a black box which covers most of the fusible links, once the lid is lifted you should be able to see what looks like a few coloured placcy squares with a clear lid & a strip of shiny copper inside. If the strip of copper isn't complete & going right across the box fm one side to the other with no gap, then that's the one you need to replace - any auto elec or parts shop should be able to help.

There are also two lengths of 'fusible link' wire in the OE harness battery connection, altho if your battery connection terminal has been changed (as many Aussie vehicles have been) they might not be there anymore, but they were extra protection for the starter & ign circuits - they will look just like a short length of coloured wire spliced into the cable leading fm the terminal to the main loom, & if they are burnt you need to replace them. Same sources for replacements, you just splice the new bits in & if you short anything under the bonnet, they melt instead of burning the whole car to the ground!!!

Don't forget to disconnect the battery when you are working on the main wiring loom under the bonnet, it can be expensive not to, & all it takes is one little spark from a live wire... :(

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Feroza”