1.6 Widetrack wanders on the road, dies at hills! Ideas??

celt1888
I'm new, be nice!

1.6 Widetrack wanders on the road, dies at hills! Ideas??

Unread post by celt1888 » June 18th, 2014, 9:36 am

Hi Guys new to this, just bought a 1995 feroza 1.6 efi with a 2' lift kit i have found 2 problems with the truck.

1st on the highway steering becomes hard to handle wanders all over the road were talking at 60 klms to 90klms. not sure if it's anything to do with the lift or tough dog suspension just not enjoying my drive at the moment.

2nd on a flat road can maintain speed at 80k's but even a mild hill dies in the arse to around 60k's going through the list replaced the spark plugs and dizzy cap, next the fuel filter and air filter.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 1.6 Widetrack wanders on the road, dies at hills! Ideas?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 18th, 2014, 12:21 pm

You will probably need to get a 'proper' wheel alignment done, one that addresses the caster & camber, especially since it's been lifted - the lift kits rarely adj the caster/camber to suit, & both are varied to some extent by the lift, with wandering being one of the major symptoms resulting.... :(

As for the 'dies in the arse' bit, it's a hi revving 1.6 motor, it needs to be stirred along thru the gears & you pretty much need to drive it so the revs never go below about 3000 rpm - but it thrives on revs & will run up near the red line allll day & then some!! Effectively, if you want it to drive but aren't in 3rd as soon as you let the speed drop below 80 kph, then you aren't revving the motor enough!! And if you do drive it in the torque band rather than below it (as many do) you might even get better fuel economy!! 10l/100k isn't unachievable, & if you haven't gone too big in the lift/tyre increase stakes, or loaded it up too much with racks & bar work etc, you could probably do even better than that!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

celt1888
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by celt1888 » June 18th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Thanks peter for the quick reply i will get a proper wheel alignment done, tyres are 235/75/15 and a light alloy roo bar.Last owner neglected the truck but i'm hoping to return it too it's former glory and use it as a daily driver and a wee bit of fishing.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 18th, 2014, 1:39 pm

They are great little trucks - trucks being the operative word! Robust, capable, & a whole lotta fun, even if they do lurve to rev & are a little peaky for the rough/slow stuff! Those tyres should be a good size with that lift/suspension, have you looked at the 100 litre LR Tanks for them? Well worth it, makes for a very handy range, & the TD leaves handle the extra load well too!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

celt1888
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by celt1888 » June 19th, 2014, 4:22 pm

wheel alignment is booked for tomorrow morning, it's like one step forward two steps back. Now i have back pressure from the radiator filling up my overflow tank, i read a few of your threads peter as the front of the radiator is covered in dried in muck and sand will pressure clean and flush tank.plus will replace thermostat and rad cap before assuming the worst.

on a good note i cleaned out the throttle body with carby cleaner and a tooth brush has a bit more up and go.

Return to “Feroza”