Can't get any air out of the front vents

LittleGem
Been here a while

Can't get any air out of the front vents

Unread post by LittleGem » December 4th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Guys as the title suggests I can't get any air out of the front vents of feroza when the air conus on, all the other vents work fine.
With summer coming up I really need this fixed and don't want to pay someone else to fix it if there's an easy solution.
My rocky build thread with Stainless steel snorkle, 31" tyres, bigger turbo and more...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=155538&start=15
All done By Automotive Etcellence.

You can go Fast, I can go anywhere

LittleGem
Been here a while

Re: Can't get any air out of the front vents

Unread post by LittleGem » December 4th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Apology about the spelling sent from my phone and couldn't edit, also it's a 97 feroza
My rocky build thread with Stainless steel snorkle, 31" tyres, bigger turbo and more...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 4th, 2013, 5:41 pm

It's probably going to be a bent or broken activation cable, or maybe the spring clip that holds it still so it'll work has come off!!

If you get down on your knees by the drivers door, with the door open, so you can see over the driver's floor to the side of the heater box, there's a white (?) plastic disc thingy that is connected to the side of the heater box and the cables from the heater/vent controls either go to it or into the box behind it. If you turn that disc thingy by hand, you'll be able to see how it operates the flaps inside the heater box to direct air to the various vents, and the likely issue is that the cable from the control panel on the dash that operates that disc has either broken, bent, or the stabilising clip on the end that lets it make that disc move will have come free - so when you operate the lever on the dash, it isn't making the disc move, so it's not making the centre fascia vents open, so you don't get any air out of them - the air con bit is on the other side and just provides the cold air that blows thru the vents.....

To fix it, you are going to hafta either locate the end of the cable that has come free & replace it, or if the cable is bent or broken, take the fascia panel off and replace that cable. It's not all that hard, but it is fiddly and a right pain if you've gotta do that.... come to that, it's a right pain getting the cable ends back on and replacing the clip that holds it in place anyway, so are you sure you don't want to get someone else to do it??? It'll probably save time and frustration on your behalf, as well as likely a few skinned knuckles and turning the air blue when you start swearing at it (and you will....) and it will be a whole lot easier/quicker for someone who knows how these things work, but it probably will take a couple of hours of labour. Your local car A/C mob, Auto Elec mob, or someone who spends a little time pulling the dashes and fascia panels of various cars apart should be able to do it for you, it's not all that uncommon, and funnily enough, the cable that operates those vents is by far the most common of the cables to 'fail' or come off. I've bent a few, broken the disc ends of a few, and broken the loop end right in behind the control panel of one.... :(

Get someone else to do it if you can! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » December 4th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Yeah mate I might take your advice and make a few phone calls when I get a chance thanks for the quick reply.

Return to “Feroza”