feroza wheelbase swapout with feroza 2

BundyRoza
I'm new, be nice!

feroza wheelbase swapout with feroza 2

Unread post by BundyRoza » January 24th, 2013, 7:02 pm

G'day all,

Just wondering if a running gear swap is possible to widen the feroza 1 series without too much engineering involved, considering lifting in the near future n know mines come close to lying down on more than one track, any experience or info on this would be awesome guys

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: feroza wheelbase swapout with feroza 2

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 24th, 2013, 9:55 pm

You'd need to do some cutting and welding to swap the FII 'Wide Track' running gear for the std F 'narrow track' running gear, all sorts of annoyingly little things that are different! I've built up a couple of FII's, and in tracking down bits, almost everyone can find std gear, but virtually none of the std F gear fits or swaps straight across, most of the important stuff doesn't even come close, altho they look pretty similar from outside. Different leaf spring widths means different shackles, hangers, and perches; similarly up front, the different wheel track brings a whole bundle of annoying little differences that make it harder than you think to do properly. They even have slighty different bits on the fuel tanks!! Buuut, if you are handy with a grinder and a welder, as well as prepared to do a little fabrication work or have a full donor chassis & running gear, and you are prepared to get it all checked over by the engineers to make sure it's roadworthy afterwards, it isn't impossible!

Still, rather than all that, what are your thoughts on doing a body swap?? ie your body onto an 'almost as good as new condition' Wide Track chassis with full engine, drivetrain, running gear, and suspension already set up with 2" lifted TD suspension and a 100 litre Long Ranger fuel Tank; fully recon and slightly warmed motor with all the good bits inc extractors and exhaust as well??! If you are not averse to heading that way & are interested in looking at how to do it, drop me a PM, I just might be able to help make things a lot easier for you. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gus0909
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gus0909 » May 20th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Hi Peter. I'm a newbie & have a couple of questions you may be able to answer or give me advice on. I have just bought a 92 std Feroza with great running gear & a 3 inch lift kit but has a rough body. I have a mate with a 95 wide track II with a good body but is unregistered & has had a solid ding in the front. Would i be able to transfer the body from the 95 wide track onto the chassis of the std 92 Feroza with out too much hassel ?
92 F300

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 20th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Hi Gus, welcome to the Forum. I don't think you'd have too much trouble from the physical side of doing it & matching mount points etc, I believe that the body mounts are all pretty similar if not exactly the same. The panels around the wheel arches aren't quite identical, but are close enough under the flares that it shouldn't be an issue, altho the wider flares that the FII's run often cover up all sorts of sins in the metal work underneath, so just be a bit careful there - and the FII Widetrack flares are harder to find and usually more expensive too, so bear that in mind too. ;)

What are you planning on doing up front?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gus0909
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gus0909 » May 21st, 2013, 10:28 am

Thanks Peter. That information is invaluable.I believe the cab body splits near the start of the engine bay/firewall. I was hoping to leave the front on the Foz I & play around with the front guards & flares. From what i read it's not possible to swap the wider axles ect straight onto the Foz I from the Foz II ? I have a entire Foz II as a doner. I have loaded a pic of both vehicles into my shed if your interested. If it's possible to transfer the wider running gear over I would swap the front guards from the Foz II over as well.
92 F300

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 21st, 2013, 6:32 pm

Like I mentioned in the earlier post, if you want to swap the widetrack running gear to fit under a narrow track body, it's not quite so straightforward as simply pulling the narrow track running gear out, sliding the widetrack axles etc under bolting it up to the std Fez chassis and body, but it isn't impossible if you are handy with a grinder and welder, & if you have access to an engineer/chassis shop who is prepared to sign off on the changes for you..... You might find it easier to just change the spring perches on the widetrack rear axle to fit the narrow track springs, but then the widetrack flares don't bolt straight onto a narrow track body, and that would probably take some cutting and welding to swap the flares over neatly without cutting/modding them; or of course you could go for aftermarket flares and have something unique. ;)

You are right about the front tho, the whole front clip pretty much unbolts from the firewall so you can mix'n'match the front clip and main body, but the suspension & running gear set-up is slightly different and if you wanted to run the widetrack gear you would need to transfer pretty much all that from the widetrack across to the narrow track chassis, & I believe you'd need to re-locate some of the bits on the chassis to hang the suspension off as well. But it doesn't look like you've got too many good front panels anyway! :eek:

Still, if you do some judicious stripping and a lot of measuring, you might find it not beyond what you are prepared to take on - bit harder if Foz is your daily driver, but still, FozII is sitting there and not going away, you could strip it all down and have it set up ready to go, just waiting for you to have the time and extra bits and pieces required all lined up, any necessary signatory's on stand by, etc. And your original idea of swapping the FII main body onto the FI chassis/running gear is certainly do-able without any major hassles - G'waan, you know you want to! :D

Gus0909
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gus0909 » May 23rd, 2013, 10:46 am

Thanks again :D . Think i might start with just swapping the body over & see how i get on. :waycool:
92 F300

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 14th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Nope, if you are talking about the leaf rear & torsion bar front suspension, then sorry, they aren't quite that compatible!

chappy109
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by chappy109 » December 16th, 2013, 8:30 am

Hey does anyone know if the front diff is the same in a narrow track as the wide track cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 16th, 2013, 9:20 am

I believe the diff is the same, but not the front suspension arms etc & I don't think the axles are the same either.... You might check on http://www.warfs.org tho ;)

Return to “Feroza”