applause motor swap

sco_aus
Been here a while

Re: applause motor swap

Unread post by sco_aus » August 29th, 2011, 12:28 pm

I have just finished this swap. I found it easiest to swap the intake manifolds due to the small differences there. The other problems can be the difference in pulleys. I kept the applause ones, but due to the different bolt pattern for the water pump pulley, I installed a 14 inch thermo fan that fit straight under the shroud, works really well. I had my radiator re done at NatRad, wasnt particularly cheap, but re using Feroza hoses etc it all went back together nicely. Whilst I had it all apart, I replaced all the main seals, water pump and timing belt. I bought a new feroza dizzy cap for the applause dizzy because the applause one points straight out instead of out to the side. The engine hums and i'm happy with the results. If you have any questions, throw me a message.

Scott

detailed_to_perfection
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by detailed_to_perfection » November 13th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Hay buddy i am doing the same thing in my shop right now i found that the feroza sump wont fit on the applause block i am having trouble with it bolts dont line up did you have the same problem, can i get them from somewhere sorry for bringing this convo alive again :rolleyes:

sco_aus
Been here a while

Unread post by sco_aus » November 13th, 2012, 5:07 pm

hmm, I don't think I had that problem mate. Not sure what to do. Can you re use the Applause sump? I don't think you can, but worth a look.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 13th, 2012, 5:22 pm

The Applause and the Feroza sumps have the hump at different ends, so you do need to swap them, but I don't recall any issues getting them to fit either - can't recall re-drilling any holes, but not saying that doing that is totally out of order.... it was a looooong time ago now, I don't want to think how many years! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

feroza31
Getting to know the place

Unread post by feroza31 » November 13th, 2012, 6:14 pm

@ DTP Hi mate, I'm in the middle of a build too but using the HD (feroza) block with a HC (Charade) head and cam. I read a lot of threads on applause - feroza swaps but never saw any mention of problems swapping the sump and they all used the feroza one.

andy33d
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by andy33d » June 15th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Have just done the applause motor swap. Used feroza computer and loom. Feroza manifolds sump n pick up alternator power steering pump n brackets water pump cos v belt not serpentine. My problem is it won't fire. Got spark got fuel pressure at the filter fuel return line at pressure. Injector plugs are getting power. Any idears would b appreciated
Andy

cassa777
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cassa777 » July 1st, 2014, 7:27 pm

Hi there

Well just changed a 2000 model Applause motor in to a 94 model Feroza.
The 2000 applause motor had a cam angle censor and coil packs. the old dissy and leads need fitting on the new doner.
Now what else needs swaping, just about every thing, not hard just work your way around the motor.
The inlet manafold, [inlet at other end, also possible problems with the computer [change over, different style EFI as well ]
The sump and oil pickup inside.
Engine mounts and brackets.
All the senors.
The water pump as the clutch fan has a different bolt pattern.
The mounting bracket for the air conditioner with the belt idler pulley has to be changed to fit the old belt system.
The old power steering pump stays as it fits the old inlet manifold with the old adjustment bracket.
The bottom pully to fit the old belt system.
The tappet cover is missing most of the bolt holes for the air intake brackets.
Radiator pipe to the oil cooler needs to be plugged or capped off.
The old thermostat housing brought over
The Applause generator can stay.
The Applause starter motor can stay but will need a longer bolt and a nut. as one hole is not treaded unlike like the old one both treaded.
If the Applause is auto you will need a spigot bearing for when you fit the old fly wheel and clutch
I fitted the old extractor again.

Hope this helps
Thanks Greg

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 1st, 2014, 8:57 pm

andy33d
Is there an earth ie to negative for the injector loom which isn't bolted to earth/negative? You may have pulsed power to the injectors but if they cannot see negative then they won't open and allow fuel into the engine.

Just a check, pour a small amount of fuel into the intake as you would with a carby car and see if it fires, if so I would be checking the loom negs.

Also check No 1 on dizzy is when compression TDC is for No 1 cylinder. If 180 out it won't fire.
You seem to have most other bases covered, good luck.

Make sure the cooling system is A1, daughter had one and lost some water,got too hot and cracked No3 cylinder wall. Compression into water from the sleeve.

Return to “Feroza”