applause motor swap

redneck1
Here and there

applause motor swap

Unread post by redneck1 » March 31st, 2011, 10:50 am

Hi all im picking up a applause this arvo for the motor for my feroza and was wandering if there is anything i should look out for when doin the swap or is it straight forward just swap the manifolds engine mounts etc. and does anyone know of a radiator out of another car that will fit or can b modded to fit as no one seems to sell them new for the feroza :mad: any help would b great cheers :thumb:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: applause motor swap

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 31st, 2011, 11:56 am

I've recently had our Feroza radiator re-cored without any hassles, the local Radiator place just did it, no questions asked, no big deal. But most Daihatsu spares, new spares that is, are available thru Toyota (who own Daihatsu Aust) There again, it shouldn't be all that hard to get a custom radiator made up for it if you want; the rad isn't a big one & most of the components are fairly common across all rads, the only things that really vary are the way they fit to the car, the placing of the outlets, & the size of the header/bottom tanks.

Re the swap, thinking back some years now (more than 10!) I can't recall there being anything big in the swap, altho the Applause motor didn't have quite the same low down torque as the Feroza motor, so you might want to look at keeping the Feroza computer, if your engine is the EFI jobby.

Good Luck, & Enjoy
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

redneck1
Here and there

Unread post by redneck1 » March 31st, 2011, 12:23 pm

is it the computer that changes the torque i would have thought it would b the cam was thinkin of swapin in the feroza cam? is there a noticeable difference between the 2 motors torque wise want all the torque i can get.

was thinking of getting the radiator recored but the tanks aint to flash and the local radiator place want $400 to do it my landcruiser one didnt cost that much brand new :confused:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 31st, 2011, 1:05 pm

Don't necessarily take this as gospel, but I'm reasonably sure the cam is the same in both engines. However, there are differences between the way the different computers match the fuel delivery to the cam & timing, hence the differences in torque (altho they are relatively small!) The Feroza motor delivers a touch less peak power (outright kW) than the Applause motor, but it has more torque lower down in the rev range (where a 4by needs it) & the only thing I can see that is different is the computer.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

redneck1
Here and there

Unread post by redneck1 » March 31st, 2011, 10:33 pm

No worries mate cheers was goin to keep the feroza computer in there but thats good to know saves the stuffin around changing cams :thumb: hanging to get her back out on the tracks i love my old landcruiser but this little thing is so much fun. my mate gives me sh*t about my little hairdressers car but she goes everywhere his 383 equiped 80 serise goes (just has to pushed a bit harder) :thumb:

900Canoes
Been here a while

Unread post by 900Canoes » April 3rd, 2011, 7:11 pm

I read somewhere recently that the ignition distributor is different (internally) and you may need to use the Feroza one if you have problems, if you still have it.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 3rd, 2011, 7:56 pm

They'll go just about anywhere, ours have done all the iconic trips & then a few more - they are a real bundle of outright fun! Not the greatest ride at speed on road, & certainly a little bumpier off road, but that's the same as any SWB & lightweight vehicle, & they have an astonishing power to weight ratio in what is really a pocket sized full on 4WD (other parts of the world got the TDi 2.8 engine in the wide body version too; dammit!!) - no lightweight chassis or diffs, suspension etc or anything like that here; most of the components are either direct steals from the Daihatsu light truck range or made under licence copies of an 'iconic' Japanese 4WD ute, only the Feroza is carrying just a tiny portion of the weight!! I often wonder why anyone would ever buy a Suzuki instead of one of these - only now that they don't make/sell the Feroza/Rocky's anymore, we've bought a Suzi as well (still got the Feroza tho!) Great little cars, really wasted on hairdressers & way more robust & capable than anyone ever expected! ;)

feroza31
Getting to know the place

Unread post by feroza31 » April 5th, 2011, 12:37 am

Been doing some reading on the topic and apparently, as the applauses are front wheel drive, you'll need to swap over the sump, oil pickup tube and possibly the water pump. Also iirc the applause dizzy head is difficult to fit space wise, although it can be done it's easier to just use the old feroza one. The cams are different with the feroza cam producing more torque while the applause cam produces more power ie faster. If your existing feroza engine has the black box on top (depending if you have an early or later model) be sure to swap that to the new engine too as it's designed to create more torque. For more info see warfs.org and outerlmits4x4.com (have to sign up on outerlimits before you can see the link to the Daihatsu forum)

redneck1
Here and there

Unread post by redneck1 » April 9th, 2011, 12:59 am

the new motor is in and running like a dream the old girl hasnt gone this hard in years :thumb:
and i used the applause dizzy wid the feroza cap changed the sump, pick up, manifolds and water pump
hopefully take her for a trip next week and try her out in the dunes :)

feroza31

Unread post by feroza31 » April 9th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Nice one Red, do you have the black box that sits on top? If u don't n your still looking for more toque get one. then some extractors and cold air intake (ie snorkel) and then u'll really notice a difference in power, but what ever u do, get rid of the factory air filter box and pipes! If u still want more torque get your cam reground or replaced (MRT do both). Oh, and have fun!

redneck1
Here and there

Unread post by redneck1 » April 10th, 2011, 9:01 pm

yes mine has the black box on it its got new extractors and goes in tomoro to get the rest of the exhurst done and i made and fitted a snorkel today and used the applause air box. got a set of 31in muddies put on yesterday looks mean now :thumb:
will do a dual battery set up and body lift some time this week hopefully :)
then i better spend some time wid the landcruiser befor she starts getting jelous :thumb:

feroza31

Unread post by feroza31 » April 10th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Nice! Amazing how much of a difference the 31s make to the look. No more "hairdresser's car" comments eh.

redneck1
Here and there

Unread post by redneck1 » April 11th, 2011, 6:43 pm

they can eat my roost now :thumb:

mrintenso
Been here a while

Unread post by mrintenso » April 14th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:They'll go just about anywhere, ours have done all the iconic trips & then a few more - they are a real bundle of outright fun! Not the greatest ride at speed on road, & certainly a little bumpier off road, but that's the same as any SWB & lightweight vehicle, & they have an astonishing power to weight ratio in what is really a pocket sized full on 4WD (other parts of the world got the TDi 2.8 engine in the wide body version too; dammit!!) - no lightweight chassis or diffs, suspension etc or anything like that here; most of the components are either direct steals from the Daihatsu light truck range or made under licence copies of an 'iconic' Japanese 4WD ute, only the Feroza is carrying just a tiny portion of the weight!! I often wonder why anyone would ever buy a Suzuki instead of one of these - only now that they don't make/sell the Feroza/Rocky's anymore, we've bought a Suzi as well (still got the Feroza tho!) Great little cars, really wasted on hairdressers & way more robust & capable than anyone ever expected! ;)

Couldn't agree with you more peter.. My rocky is the best 4wd I have owned.. It is so strong it astounds me.. no mater what punishment it recieves it never breaks... It climbs steeper than any discovery, patrol or landcruiser.. is powerful yet economical and in my 4wd club is one of the only trucks to very rarely get stuck.... It's the f78 model.. I actually have another f78 coming up for sale in the near future... nothing like a suzuki, they ride smooth and are great for trips and towing... Daihatsu that's who!

tehekho
Here and there

Unread post by tehekho » April 21st, 2011, 10:21 am

Just skimming across this, and thought I'd better point out that the camshaft is different between the Feroza and the applause. The Appluase cam is more aimed at revving a little higher (and then the charade cam higher still). Depends on what you intend on doing with the vehicle though, have a Feroza running around town which I built up. 11.5:1 compression ratio, charade camshaft, E10 fuelling. Brilliant power wise off road a higher speeds, but you need to work that clutch to get it to crawl. The good thing about the higher compression ratio is engine braking is incredible in this thing - I've never been in a petrol without crawler gears that does it as well as this thing.

The girl I built the motor up for also does some rock crawling and other more adventurous stuff, and the motor is fine given you're happy to rev it's tits off and slip the clutch :eek:

We're thinking down the track we will be putting the feroza cam (or an even lower revving grind!) in and going a little silly with the tune (programmable ECU). But, for the purpose of swapping, the motors are the same.

Return to “Feroza”