Replacement Gearbox/Transfer

DiGiT
Here and there

Replacement Gearbox/Transfer

Unread post by DiGiT » October 8th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Hey All,

So, it looks like I could have blown up the gearbox or transfer case, and to get them reco'd would be pretty major money, money I don't really have. Seeing how rare Rocky's are, and how slim my chances are of finding an F78 being wrecked with a good 'box and 'case, I'm wondering whether anyone has used the gearbox or transfer from another car like a Hilux or something?

Hope you guys can help me out!

Marty
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8L Diesel Intercooled Turbo
www.turnedon.com.au

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: Replacement Gearbox/Transfer

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » October 8th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Are the rockys seperate cases (driveshaft on bothsides) like some suzukis or are does the transfer attached to the back end of the gearbox?
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

DiGiT
Here and there

Unread post by DiGiT » October 9th, 2015, 9:46 am

Hey Mate, looks like it's mated directly onto the gearbox, from the transfer the driveshaft and tailshaft go to the diffs, but no shaft (that i can see) linking gearbox and transfer.
www.turnedon.com.au

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » October 9th, 2015, 10:42 am

Yeah then you will need a rocky one, the chance that something else will make up is tiny.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 9th, 2015, 12:59 pm

You could check out the same or earlier vintage vehicles from Toyota, lots of the mechanicals on the Rocky/Feroza's were cloned from things like Hilux's, Hiace's, & Dyna's - but little was a direct swap, even if the internals were identical!! For example, I fitted some of the gears/shafts outta a Hilux into a Feroza trans case to get a lower Lo ratio; & bolted the guts of a Dyna diff into a Feroza housing, straight bolt in, but none of the housings or gears & shafts would swap directly & I still hadta source & fit shortened Hilux (or Hiace's?!) axles to get the drive to the wheels..... :(

I think you might hafta keep looking for the boxes from a Rocky, sorry.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

DiGiT
Here and there

Unread post by DiGiT » October 9th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Yep it's looking that way. Pity, was hoping it'd be a great chance to throw in a hilux transfer and put in reduction gears.

Interesting options, thanks Peter. I'll see if I can find anyone who's done something similar for a Rocky.
www.turnedon.com.au

NZRocky
Here and there

Unread post by NZRocky » March 8th, 2016, 10:11 am

Have you had any luck mate? Got a few rocky bits over here in NZ but getting them to you could be a challenge.

DiGiT
Here and there

Unread post by DiGiT » April 19th, 2016, 11:57 am

Hey NZRocky,

Got an older floor shifter from a wrecker over here and it's a bolt on fit. The ratios are out a fair bit though, eg, if the speedo reads 50, i'm doing 60.
www.turnedon.com.au

Return to “Rocky”