Rocky 1985 Clutch Cable

jacksonhodge2014
I'm new, be nice!

Rocky 1985 Clutch Cable

Unread post by jacksonhodge2014 » December 29th, 2014, 10:53 am

hey everybody, the loop that connects our clutch cable to the clutch pad has snapped, so we're looking for a new one.
we've sourced a few over the christmas brake but the ones we've found come from petrol vehicles and we have a diesel vehicle.
does that make a difference to what clutch cable we use?
cheers!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Rocky 1985 Clutch Cable

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 29th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Apart from making sure that your clutch cable is the right length, dia, strength, etc, then NO, it doesn't matter what brand you use! But it is pretty important to make sure that the cable you re-fit is the right length & that none of the fittings are any different!! While I think they are the same, it's been waaayy too long since I had a Rocky to play with, so I can't recall if they are the same cable in the diesels & the petrols, but a side-by-side comparison should let you see fairly quickly if they are the same length etc.

A small difference in length (say around 10-15mm or so) could be just the older cable stretching over time/use, but anything much more than that may mean that your clutch won't be able to be adjusted to disengage/engage correctly & you'll end up either not being able to get drive to the gearbox at all, or wearing the clutch out rapidly (& possibly destroying the gearbox at the same time!!) So make sure they are the same length (or very close to that) as well as checking the other fittings.

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Rocky”