Anyone know where to get a rear control arm for Rocky F78?

jennyrebel
Here and there

Re: Anyone know where to get a rear control arm for Rocky F7

Unread post by jennyrebel » February 8th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Ah Storky but I love my F78 Rocky! Anyhow, no problems - my partner did a weld on the broken arm and it's just survived a trip to Carnarvon Gorge and back so all's good! Still ordered the new part though as I don't think the weld's good long term.
One thing we noticed on the trip was the gearbox getting hot though. It is leaking from a few spots too, I had it checked before the trip and the guy said he'd have to take it apart to check it all out and for a hefty price. There has always been this kind of whining noise which I always thought was the turbo but maybe it's the gearbox. Does anyone else know of this happening? Do turbos normally make a whining noise?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 8th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Turbos do make a whining noise but it varies in pitch with the throttle opening and is usually more noticeable on a cool day when the air is dense ie more dense than when air is hotter.

If it is a constant whine then possibly the gearbox. Is it full of oil and it may be a good idea to add Some Nulon G10 gearbox additive as it will help with prolonging the life of bearings etc. Will make it run cooler too and possible more economy.
Gearbox whine will vary instantly as you go over bumps etc because of the instant on/off gear tooth loading.

If you listen carefully you will decide which it is. A turbo is more of a whistle and the up ward pitch noise is like whistling the dog, gears are entirely different.

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » February 8th, 2014, 8:07 pm

You will find the whine is the turbo in these things ive had my gearbox replaced and still the same whine. I actually enjoy it haha but thats just me. It's good to here you got to go away though.
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=147181

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » February 10th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Changed the gearbox oil - the old stuff was filthy- really brown and there were iron filings in it, we also put some of the Nulon G70 stuff in, alas there is oil leaking out all over the place and a huge hole in the gearbox. So a new ( 2nd hand) gearbox is being fitted next week. I can't believe how many problems I've had with the Rocky this past couple of months, hopefully this will be the last thing for a while..

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 11th, 2014, 11:47 pm

I smacked my hand when I looked at the tube of G70 in my shed sorry about the G10.

Can you get the box welded and keep as a spare?

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » February 14th, 2014, 8:36 am

Yes Mydmax I'm going to keep the old gearbox and hopefully get it welded and maybe in time I will get an overhaul kit for it. I get the new one fitted next week, the oil is leaking so much I've got a drip tray under the Rocky to catch it!

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » February 14th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Hi Jennyrebel,
When you are ready to get new bearing and gasket kit for your gearbox or transfer box, give these blokes a try.
They have been good to me.
www.austtrans.com

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » February 28th, 2014, 7:52 am

Thanks Storky I will give them a go. Ended up having the old gear box welded ( they originally said they would patch it with silicone wtf!!) and its running ok at the mo after another dose of Nulon G70- I really like that stuff..

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 28th, 2014, 9:17 am

Don't scoff at silicone, it works exceptionally well for many things, including repairs like that!! And if a silicone repair has been done properly, it can even last a helluva long time!!

But a welded repair is usually better! Just not always possible, especially if you need to get going quickly! The Nulon additives are really good too!! Well worth the $$ ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Yamba24
Here and there

Unread post by Yamba24 » March 8th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Ahhh jennyrebel, the Rocky.
I've got an F78 as well. I have a pretty good whine coming from my gearbox. I have read elsewhere that it is a pretty standard thing. Mine only comes in over 85km/h. To be honest, it could be the transfer case. I just know it is there. Gearbox is great, so I just live with it.
Where did you get the spare box from? My rear diff went, and I couldn't find a replacement for the life of me. Tried just about everywhere in Australia. Got it rebuilt in the end. $2,500 all up. That included a new brake master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Had to get them from the UK, as they're not anywhere in Australia. Really good mob, milnersoffroad.com. Got the master cylinder delivered cheaper than a mob in Coffs Horbour wanted to repair it.
The rear brake shoes are a hassle to get as well. They are a strange code... I have all the info still if you ever need it.
I should probably start a thread on parts for the F78. They're pretty rare, and one place with good info can't be a bad thing!
Hope you dont have any more problems! They are great little beasts.

Just because

At least nobody annoys me when I am alone

Yamba24
Here and there

Unread post by Yamba24 » March 8th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Oh, and there is no need for a locker on an F78. We have an LSD on the back. Getting it to work properly takes skill and practice, but it is worth it. Fronts can have a locker put on. There is a place in Greece that does lockers for all rockies, I believe.
Bloodred are good, but bloody expensive. Milners are a bit cheaper. Bloodred do a lot of suspension gear. Its cheaper to get an air filter shipped from Milners than it is to buy one at Repco!
How many K's has yours got? Mine has 318,xxx. Apart from the diff, I have not had any problems. I need suspension, cos the stuff that is in it is factory, and it is getting saggy! Tough Dog do a 2" lift kit for the F78, and at $1200 delivered, it looks ok. I found a set of 3" rear springs from the UK, but I am not sure if the CV's and prop shaft could handle that much.

Anyway, like I said, keep it up. There is a pretty good facebook page for Daihatsu 4wd Owners. Lots of people sharing info. Check it out.

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » March 11th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Hey Yamba 24
your Rocky looks in really good nick - nice! Well I'm taking mine back to the transmission mechanic tomorrow because they repaired the gearbox, not rebuilt or anything, for $800 but it's still leaking. As for the whine, mine seems to do it right from the start, and I'm not sure if its a bit worse since having the gearbox looked at or whether I just notice it more. I also seem to get a lot more vibration now so I'm not sure what that is.
The gearbox that I was going to get unfortunately does'nt fit, it's off another model but not sure which. It's a shame because the guy rebuilt it all for someone who never came back to pick it up so if anyone out there is after a new one its at All Transmissions in Currumbin Qld.
Mine's got 234000 on the clock, just seem to be getting a few probs like the control arm - still waiting for a new front arm from Toyota, I think it's coming from Japan so it's taking a while. I'm also going to get the timing belt done too.
Thanks for the info Yamba 24, I've looked at the Milners site and they seem pretty good, I'll have a look at the Facebook thing too.
Peter- I agree silicone has it's place, but when you're paying $800 I just think a nice solid weld is in order!

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » March 11th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Er Yamba 24 - what's is a LSD? I'm a bit ignorant about these things..

Yamba24
Here and there

Unread post by Yamba24 » March 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Limited Slip Diff. It is a little complicated to explain, so ask the Google if you want the mechanics of it. Essentially, there are clutches that are in the diff that engage when one wheel looses traction, almost locking the diff and giving drive to the wheel that has traction. It is a lot more complicated than that, but its a simple explanation.
Road cars have 1 wheel drive, going to the wheel at the back with the least traction. 4wd's have 2 wheel drive, going to the wheel at each end with the least traction. LSD lets a wheel slip a bit, then the clutches engage and essentially lock the diff, making the F78 a 3 wheel drive (2 at the back, still one at the front). A Diff Locker locks the diff constantly (when it is engaged) and can cause some problems. I like our setup. Good for all round. People get pretty hard core putting in lockers and stuff.

Its crap about the gearbox! That would have been a good score. These cars are pretty tough, and hopefully it wont give you any more trouble! They recommend the timing belt every 100,000k, and that should never be missed, I reckon. If that goes, you're rooted. The previous owner did mine 10,000k before I bought it, and thats good. I wish he kept all the receipts so I knew what had been done to it other than that.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 11th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Yeah, LSD's don't ever lock (& almost all won't even get close under any circumstances) they just share whatever torque it takes to drive the easiest wheel to turn on that end of the vehicle... An Open diff 'technically' does the same, but it only uses the friction of the parts in the diff to do it, so it just shares a tiny percentage of the torque, so the wheel with traction on an open diff gets 1/8th of what is pretty much F/A!!

But LSD's effectively have mini clutch packs on either side of the drive gears in the diff so that if one wheel spins it forces the clutch pack to transfer some of the drive across to the wheel with traction. That said, because they are only ever sharing the drive it takes to turn the easiest wheel to spin, and because they need both friction under the spinning wheel & yet must also have wheelspin at the same time, at best they effectively only ever share somewhere about 40% of the drive it takes to spin the wheel with the least traction - so the wheel with traction gets about 5/8ths of just a bit more than F/A :( That is actually a fair bit of ADDITIONAL traction tho, especially when the LSD is in good nick, and it can make a fairly big difference to your driving, but you aren't ever going to actually get 3 wheel drive out of these - more like 2 & 3/8ths at absolute best, but you hafta have wheel spin & friction on one of the wheels on the LSD end, so practically it's somewhat less than that... ie One front wheel driving (the easiest wheel to turn at any given moment) plus One spinning rear wheel with some friction so that it can transfer maybe about 3/8ths of the drive it takes to spin that wheel across to the wheel with traction!!

You can increase the drive transfer so that it's closer to the theoretical max of about 40% drive transfer by lightly applying the foot brake or adding a few notches of handbrake pressure (unless your handbrake is a transfer case or driveshaft mounted handbrake) but the brake application needs to be light enough to let the spinning wheel keep on spinning (or you get no drive transfer) and yet slow the wheel spin enough that it takes more torque from the engine to keep it spinning, and then a maximum of about 40% of that drive can be transferred when the LSD is in good nick!

Still, a properly working LSD is a fair bit better than the absolute best properly working Open Diff, and any bit of additional traction is going to help & probably make a fair bit of difference to your 4WD ability!! And Yamba is right, these Rocky's are a bit of a handful with a locker fitted, even the best of auto lockers will have some impact on your daily driving under these things because of the reasonably short wheel base and the fact that they are so light; but that makes them very easy to punt along well thru most terrain without a locker, so unless you are really, REALLY into serious terrain & off roading, if you can keep the stock set-up working well and learn how to drive it to your advantage, it's going to take you a helluva long way! :thumb:

So as soon as the transmission leak is sorted, just get out there and start having fun! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Rocky”