Anyone know where to get a rear control arm for Rocky F78?

jennyrebel
Here and there

Anyone know where to get a rear control arm for Rocky F78?

Unread post by jennyrebel » January 4th, 2014, 9:37 am

Hi all
I have a 1993 Rocky F78 and the rear control arm has snapped at the joint where it attaches to the wheel. The mechanic says that it is not weldable because of the position of the break . I am having trouble sourcing a replacement arm locally ( Gold Coast), does anyone have any ideas on where to get a replacement?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Anyone know where to get a rear control arm for Rocky F7

Unread post by mydmax » January 4th, 2014, 1:42 pm

jennyrebel
Take the part off and show it to a capable welder person.
Most mechanics are not welders, cannot weld and may not give true and accurate advice.
Welders are trained to weld and if competent, they can assess the task and possibly repair it with a suitable process of welding which the mechanic may not have experienced. Then it will at least be OK and driveable for a while giving time to find a suitable replacement.

Check a replacement as it too may be cracked in exactly the same spot.

Cheers
mydmax

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » January 4th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Thanks mydmax - great advice, much appreciated

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » January 17th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Just an update for anyone who's interested. Managed to get the arm welded- its a dodgy job but got the Rocky back on the road. Found out that there are Daihatsu parts available through Toyota dealers so have ordered a new arm its not cheap but I feel lucky to have sourced the part. I would urge all Rocky owners to check the trailing arms for metal fatigue as it seems to be a fairly common fault.

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » January 17th, 2014, 3:41 pm

I have heard of this and check mine regularly, the only problem with getting new parts from Toyota is they come from japan and most parts are now discontinued and are just surplus stock, so I suppose use them up before they go haha
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=147181

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 17th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Just don't ever throw a broken part away, you can often either find the Toyota part that matches it, or get someone (usually a small engineering shop or engineering type home handyman) to make one exactly like it if you have it on hand! ;)

A lot of the Daihatsu gear came out of the various Toyota parts bins around when they were building them, or at least was made from the original Toyota drawings in a Daihatsu parts factory somewhere, so there is very little that isn't available with a Toyota parts number as well as a Daihatsu number, it's just a right pain to track the appropriate number down whichever way you go!! But it can be done, and a lot of the stuff that we were told was no longer available for our last Feroza/Rocky rebuild ended up being sourced via a Toyota number!! Even some of the bits that everyone gets told are impossible to get came that way.... it was a while back, so I don't have the number any more, but there IS a Detroit Locker out there that suits the rear of Feroza/Rocky's; probably a special order if you want a new one now, altho the Toyota diff it was intended for is still in use, so maybe..... ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » January 20th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Hey Peter you would happen to know anything more about the Detroit locker you speak of, I have heard of this before but I can't seem to find any info about it.
Which Toyota diff is it?

Cheers Jake
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 20th, 2014, 9:15 pm

What dia is your Rocky diff?? Measure that and match your rear diff to the equivalent Toyota version that it copied/was based upon, and then check to see which Detroit fits in that Toyota - I don't have the details at hand any more cos it was about 1995 that I did the last one on the Rocky/Feroza & we've had a bunch of moves since then, alto I guess it'll be in the filing somewhere. There are still a few floating around out there tho, I ran into one not all that long ago out at Morgan, fella was having a ball showing up all the bigger/tuffer vehicles with his SWB that behaved like it was locked but had no switches or other give-aways! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » January 30th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Well the new arm is now on but it seems that the bushings are not the right size and Rocky is lurching all over the place when braking. Toyota say the part we got is the correct one, they may be able to get new bushings but I'm not best pleased. Anyway I was on the internet and found a great site in UK called bloodredoffroad.com they have some sturdy looking control arms plus lift kits which look reasonable.

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » January 31st, 2014, 4:02 pm

More trouble - rear right upper control arm has snapped - that it the cause of the lurching. Seems like the metal is of the age where its prone to snapping. Its probably best to check and replace parts before they snap..

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » January 31st, 2014, 6:26 pm

That's no good about the control arm, are you going to replace them with the ones from bloodred.com?
Or something cheaper?
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » January 31st, 2014, 6:57 pm

I know Kalla, its a bummer I'm supposed to be going camping this week too! However I think I may have got lucky with a new arm from the wreckers - they said the bushings are stuffed but I can probably get new ones put on. Will go and have a look tomorrow. Did you have a look at the bloodred site? I like the look of the stuff but with shipping etc. it would be expensive, I have all these plans in my head for the Rocky just need the money to do it!

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » January 31st, 2014, 8:14 pm

Well hopefully it works out for, nothing better then a trip away.
YEah I had a look but price is the biggest thing for me at the moment, I like the look of the lifted springs but at 230 plus shipping I don't think I could stretch for that haha.
I have lots of plans too!haha
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

jennyrebel
Here and there

Unread post by jennyrebel » February 1st, 2014, 1:38 pm

No luck with the wreckers part as its off a Feroza and does'nt fit. So it's another expensive job ordering from Toyota and 2 -3 week wait. It looks like the upper arm has been snapped for a while though, it looks like an old break and I've never noticed it lurching until the new lower control arm ( on opposite side) was replaced so I'm not sure why that is. Any one any ideas?

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » February 3rd, 2014, 3:40 pm

Hi jennyrebel,
You could go and trade it on a F75 Rocky with live axles and leaf springs, that will solve your problem.
Only a suggestion. :D
PS: They can take more punishment in the bush than a F78.

Return to “Rocky”