Anyone got a full length Rocky Roof Rack? Where from?

kalla20
Been here a while

Anyone got a full length Rocky Roof Rack? Where from?

Unread post by kalla20 » February 18th, 2013, 4:28 pm

I've recently decided I'm in need of a roof rack for my rocky. It's a 94 2.8 td.
Talking to a mate recently he said that he has seen one that was full length from tjm, I've been on the sight but I can't find anything about rockys. I'm wondering if anyone has one and where you got yours.
Cheers Jake

rocky_al
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Anyone got a full length Rocky Roof Rack? Where from?

Unread post by rocky_al » April 3rd, 2013, 1:20 pm

I've been looking around too for these for a LONG time but haven't had any luck. I'm assuming the '94 model is the resin top? Mine's a '92 model resin top. I've seen a TJM one too but I don't think they've been made for a very long time.

Unless you can fine one second hand, I think your only option would be to get a gutter mount bar with large clearance (for the roof over the front) and an track mount bar (for the resin top) and then fit a separate basket on top of that (either steel or aluminium). Check out the Rola roof racks website to see what I mean.

I spoke to Roof Racks Galore (in QLD) and they could supply and fit all the parts. It's a bit on the expensive side though so I didn't end up getting them fitted. If you do go down that path, bear in mind that the load carrying capacity of the resin top of half that of the front roof.

Cheers
Al

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » April 4th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Yes it is the resin top al.
I have found a company (tradesman roof racks) that make one.
Although it is quite pricey so I might yet look around and try find an old second hand one.
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=147181

danielk
Been here a while

Unread post by danielk » April 7th, 2013, 9:08 pm

what are you wanting to carry with the rack and basket?

i have 2 rhino gutter mount legs and bars with a basket that covers the area over the cab. on the resin top i have a pair of carryboy canopy factory rails with rhino mount and a rhino bar. And luck has it that the top of the basket and the top of the rear bar are only mm's out of flat. I have a ironman awning on the drivers side and a high lift jack and shovel on the passanger side. Basket is still heaps big enough to carry my swag and extra jerry cans.

I stand in the basket over the roof all the time taking photos but i'm not game to stand on the rear bar over the resin top for fear of going straight thru lol
1990 Daihatsu Rocky Sports Afield. 2.8tD. 30" Maxxis Bighorns, lift, snorkel.
Check out my little truck in MY SHED

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » April 10th, 2013, 9:21 pm

I was wanting it to hold Jerry cans swag chairs and table and a solar panel but since I posted I put a basket on the front similar to yours Daniel and works well but I've started building my own with a mate that wants one for his patrol so we are building our own.
I'm very picky about look and functionality haha
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=147181

danielk
Been here a while

Unread post by danielk » April 12th, 2013, 8:49 pm

sounds good mate. very hand bit of gear
1990 Daihatsu Rocky Sports Afield. 2.8tD. 30" Maxxis Bighorns, lift, snorkel.
Check out my little truck in MY SHED

Return to “Rocky”