Anyone put a Bigger Radiator into TD Rocky? any difference?

storky
Here and there

Anyone put a Bigger Radiator into TD Rocky? any difference?

Unread post by storky » December 25th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Hi All,
On to my next project, I'm wanting to put a 3 or 4 core radiator in my TD Rocky and just wondering if anyone as done it and if it made a difference. :D

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Bigger Radiator

Unread post by typhoeus » December 25th, 2012, 10:25 pm

well, I put a 2 X 20mm core crossflow all alloy one in my Hilux, and it made a noticable difference. I spent some time measuring and checking etc before I bought one on Ebay. I had to make mount brackets , but that was simple enough. now the temp guage runs in the lower third on a hot day, instead of the upper third

storky
Here and there

Re: Bigger Radiator

Unread post by storky » December 31st, 2012, 5:28 pm

Thanks typhoeus, but I'm hoping to here from some Rocky owners as well because Rockys have a tenacy to get hotter over 100 kmh and I am heading up the Cape towing a trailer in June and I know it will get hotter than normal even at 90 kmh.
So I'm hoping someone has fitted one and if they have modified one from a different vehicle.
The main thing I want to know is did it make a difference. :purplex:

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Anyone put a Bigger Radiator into TD Rocky? any differen

Unread post by typhoeus » December 31st, 2012, 8:02 pm

Any increase in capacity will definitely help with the higher speed cooling. Make sure the fan/ viscous coupling is in good condition , back flush the entire cooling system only takes a couple of hours. my previous 4wd was a Rocky 2.8 turbo. was a great vehicle until an F100 ran into the back of it. . . .

tabrocky
Here and there

Unread post by tabrocky » January 2nd, 2013, 4:38 pm

I have the standard radiator in mine which is pretty close to new (replaced a couple of years ago), fan, thermostat and water pump are all in new/good condition also however I find in hot weather (35 plus) I need to pay attention to the needle and back off if necessary. The guage on mine usually sits around 1/4 to 1/2. As soon as it gets to 1/2 I back off. Did a trip back from work through central WA in 40 degree heat and had to stay in 4th with no aircond just to keep the temp under control... wasn't much fun but it never gave up.

I looked at getting PWR to custom make an alloy replacement which would have come with all brackets ready to go including overflow bottle and fan shroud. However they really needed an original radiator to be able to copy. Not wanting to pull mine out and send it all the way over to QLD I looked around for a cheap second hand one which I could send to them instead but no one had one.

I would be interested in a multiple buy if anyone is keen? Just need to find a cheap second hand radiator which hasn't been bent up that they can copy. The core can be stuffed.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » January 2nd, 2013, 8:40 pm

Sounds exactly like mine, would be very interested in a PWR radiator myself, but can't fined a 90 onwards model radiator up where I live.Do have a 85 model one but different brackets (no overflow bracket).

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » February 20th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Hi all,
On the hunt for better cooling, back before I went to the Cape I mucked around with my radiator fitted a 3 core to my original tanks on my radiator and it did improve it, towing a trailer and all. That was back in June, now in the middle of summer(Qld) I think I can do better so back on at looking for something bigger.
I rang PWR near Brisbane and Aussie Desert Cooler in Vic and they both need a template to work from and I can't really send mine down to them, so I'm looking for some help if anyone has a spare radiator off a late F75 or F78 lying around ( must have overflow tank bolt holes on it) that they could send or drop off to them.It would be much appreciated.
PWR said it cost around $900 and ADC said $650 and ADC guaranteed it to run 30% cooler.Once they have done one anyone should be able to order one without the hassle. I'm am very keen to get one and road test it.

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » February 21st, 2014, 7:04 am

Would you happen to know how long they would need it for?
I would be keen for something like this, although I don't have a spare radiator I'm going away in a 3 months to Europe for a month and if there hasn't been a spare found I could send mine off to ADC
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=147181

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » February 21st, 2014, 7:57 am

Thanks for that, I'll get on to Norm at ADC and get back to you.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » February 21st, 2014, 8:37 am

Spoke to ADC and they said acouple of days.
I've just PM my ph. Number to you, can you give me a call and might be able to get the ball rolling.
Thanks.

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » February 24th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Hey storky just got ya pm, ill give ya a buzz tomorrow.

CHeers
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=147181

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » February 25th, 2014, 1:22 pm

No worries, when you are ready.

Yamba24
Here and there

Unread post by Yamba24 » March 9th, 2014, 12:03 am

This seems to be a common problem for the Rockys. My temp gauge doesn't budge after it has warmed up. That is even towing a trailer on the beach above high water. I might check the temp independently just to be sure. I have never noticed if the thermo fan kicks in at all, but I guess it must.
At least nobody annoys me when I am alone

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » March 9th, 2014, 8:19 am

Hi Yamba24,
Your radiator mightn't be standard, original one has only 2 x cores and is only 32 mm thick.
Be interested to know what you have.

Yamba24
Here and there

Unread post by Yamba24 » March 12th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Storky,
Rad looks original. Air inlet removed anyway to tighten power steering belt.

At least nobody annoys me when I am alone

Return to “Rocky”