What to look for in an '85 Rocky?

qantas
I'm new, be nice!

What to look for in an '85 Rocky?

Unread post by qantas » November 2nd, 2012, 1:12 am

G'day, I'm looking at buying an 85 model Rocky with a petrol engine (3Y i presume) for a few hundred dollars. It has been sitting for about 3 years unregistered but the owner reckons the engine still runs ok and it has been started from time to time. I currently own a 2010 Triton, but due to changing circumstances i'm thinking about selling it but i still want a 4WD, so it is my intention to register and drive the little beast. I will have a budget of about 5K to spend once it has been purchased, but i don't know what to look out for, such as hidden places where rust will form, where to get parts from, engine and transmission faults, electrical gremlins ect ect. If someone would be kind enough to throw up a few pointers, that would be a great help, cheers.

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: What to look for????

Unread post by oversite » November 2nd, 2012, 1:27 am

Is the daihatsu 3Y the same as the toyota 3y cause if so there a great engine.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: What to look for in an '85 Rocky?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 2nd, 2012, 1:33 pm

Many similarities, and Toyota are the people you gotta see for new parts if needed - but try the wreckers or aftermarket first, they will be a helluva lot cheaper!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Rocky”