Ordered front & back Protrack Airlockers from Greece.

storky
Here and there

Re: Ordered front & back Protrack Airlockers from Greece.

Unread post by storky » January 2nd, 2013, 11:10 am

Hi tabrocky,
The quality to me seemed pretty good, it's all case hardened. Michael didn't ask for any other measurements other than the one's above and the machining looked fine. When I got the side gear machined i took the new centre's with me to the machinist and he said they looked fine.
Where I had to die grind the housing for the centre's, (not for the air pistons) I emailed Mick to see if they have to do the same thing and he said he hasn't had to do that, but he would have done the same.Weather there diff housings are different being left hand drives, I don't know.
At the moment mine are still running fine and the big test is when I go up the Cape in June towing a trailer.
Only time will tell. :)

tabrocky
Here and there

Unread post by tabrocky » January 2nd, 2013, 4:14 pm

Thanks for that storky. Much appreciated.

Two other questions...
Was the machining of the side gear expected as part of the job or was Michael not aware of this either?
Also where there any instructions supplied with the kit? And if so are they fairly comprehensive (i.e. tightening torque specs, etc) or not much detail?

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » January 2nd, 2013, 8:30 pm

No, the side gear wasn't expected to be done and Michael wasn't sure why either. But it was easier to take .30 mm off the side gear than it was to take off a.80 mm shim.
And one thing I didn't mention to him was lack of instructions, none what so ever.
I'm fortunate to have a mate who works next to me who owns a Pedders/ARB shop and fits lockers.
I fitted the lockers myself and hit him up with anything I wasn't sure about before I went to far with it.(Carton of stubbies can go along way).
After fitting them, I did about 500kms and then drained the oil. The oil looked dirty and the magnetic plug had little bit of crud stuckto it. Drove it around for about another 500 kms waiting for the air piston to show up and when I drained the oil to fit the piston, the oil was pretty clean and hardly anything stuck to the magnet.
Since then a mate had front and rear lockers fitted to his 100 series by ARB and was told to change his oil too at 500kms, same thing.
I am happy with my lockers, little bit of mucking around, but I am fussy and try to do the job right the first time. :D
Last edited by storky on October 2nd, 2013, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » June 17th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Hi All,
Just got back from Cape York and conquered the Old Telegraph Track in the old girl.(Towing a trailer)
The lockers worked faultlessly, used them heaps on the track, it showed up some of the big boys too.
The lockers turned it into an awesome little truck. :)
00220_Capture.jpg
00227_Capture.jpg
00269_Capture.jpg
00375_Capture.jpg
00380_Capture.jpg
And got a cross Nolan's Brook with ease after watching 5 out of 7 trucks either get bogged or drowned!
Can't wait to plan another trip to somewhere challenging!!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danielk
Been here a while

Unread post by danielk » June 20th, 2013, 4:50 am

Thats awesome Storky!!!
GO THE ROCKY!!
1990 Daihatsu Rocky Sports Afield. 2.8tD. 30" Maxxis Bighorns, lift, snorkel.
Check out my little truck in MY SHED

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » September 30th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Storky,
what diff ratio are you running and Michael from protrack said something about having 6 gears in the front diff as apposed to 4 in my front diff, are you running 6 in your front diff.
greg.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » September 30th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Hi Greg,
My diff ratios are standard and my front diff did only have 4 x gears in it, (2 x spiders & 2 x side gears).
I had a spare rear diff and I took out the spider and 2 extra spider gears an fitted them to the front diff, no modifying needed as they will drop straight in. As Michael told me you don't have to do this but it will make it stronger.
My Rocky is a 92 model and the diff I had was from a 85 model. The spider and spider gears were the same as mine but the side gears and axles were different, only the splines.
I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » October 2nd, 2013, 8:44 am

Thanks storky,
i trying to chase spider gears, i have noticed your model axle might be a 23 spline side gears not sure, my f78 rocky is a 26 i think i have to do a bit of research, i rather put 4 spider gears in it from your model rear diff.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » October 2nd, 2013, 4:08 pm

Hi Greg,
With your model (F78), can you fit a locker in the front? I thought Micheal told me they only do live axle models, I might be wrong. I know you shouldn't have a problem with the rear as the lockers were mean't to replace the LSD.
Side gears on F75 (84 to 89) splines were 29 teeth and F75 ( 90 to 92) spines changed to 30 teeth. I'm not sure about F78 models.
Even if you can find a petrol model or a rear diff from a old Scat, you might find the spider and spider gears the same.
Put the question out there , someone might have a diff lying around they don't want anymore. :D

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » October 2nd, 2013, 5:53 pm

Micheal,
Says the splines on the f78 rocky are the same front and rear, i have taken a pic of the front diff centre and he seems to think you could, hmm dont know yet, but i might have found a rocky down at the wreckers with a rear diff we see what happens in the next few weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gregp50 on October 2nd, 2013, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » October 2nd, 2013, 6:23 pm

Good Luck! :)

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » October 3rd, 2013, 4:02 pm

After all the research, i come to the conclusion you cannot put diff locks on IFS suspension, if you do you will be breaking allot of cv joints plus axles because of all the movement in IFS suspension, live axles are the way to go.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » October 3rd, 2013, 5:43 pm

One in the rear will still make a big difference! I only use the front one now and then as the rear one gets me out most difficult situations.

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » October 4th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I would like one in the rear, but i have got a limited slip diff there already, if i put in diff locks i might bust one of me rear axles and i wont be able to get home because you have to take of the wheel and brake drums to take out the axles. Live axles that can be taken out like the toyotas and landrover would be handy, might have to steal storkys f75, where do ya live storky.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » October 4th, 2013, 6:05 pm

I'm a locksmith, good luck trying to steal my Rocky! :lol:
When I pulled my axles out, I was surprised how big they were. I don't think I'll be breaking them in a hurry!
Yours are probably the same as mine.Just something to keep in mind. ;)
Like your Rocky, good to see someone else spending lots of money on one too. :D

Return to “Rocky”