Ordered front & back Protrack Airlockers from Greece.

f75
Here and there

Re: Ordered front & back Protrack Airlockers from Greece.

Unread post by f75 » November 4th, 2012, 7:08 am

Well done i could be interested too.Now youve done the hard work and give them all the measurements can we order them off the shelf.Which gear did you have to machine??

shambles
Been here a while

Unread post by shambles » November 4th, 2012, 12:12 pm

holy crappola it came out of the creek easy, you must be really happy with the result. I'd be stoked

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » November 5th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

JAKOB, the total price I paid for 2 x lockers and 1 x compressor was 1200 euro and freight 128 euro ($1698.50 AUD) posted to my front door, thats it. After replacing seals, bearings, gaskets, oils, etc. Total price (inc. lockers) not much change out of $2500 AUD. ;)

F75, sorry to say but each diff has different measurements, they like you to send over your diff measurements so that when you reinstall them you don't have to reshim them. So they say, mine were out but I had a couple of spare diffs and used the shims out of them, just mixed and matched them till I got it right. If I was going to do it again i would try to find another set of front and rear axle's off another Rocky and work on them as it would be easier to do on a bench than crawling in and out from under the car. And having the Rocky off the road for a month or more. If you are still interested email Michael at Protrack and talk to him (nice guy). :D
info@protrack.gr

SHAMBLES, VERY STOKED !!! Made a big difference, did a bit more videoing on the weekend.

check it out.

http://youtu.be/gQxuAVjjIks

f75
Here and there

Unread post by f75 » November 5th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Cool thanks for that ive got a spare rear diff.After watching your video think i might have to bite the bullet

shambles
Been here a while

Unread post by shambles » November 6th, 2012, 2:18 am

I think I want lockers, you made it look easy :lol:

jakob
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by jakob » November 6th, 2012, 6:08 am

That vid is brilliant champ, you have to be happy with that.. im definately going to get a set... good thing is i have a spare rocky that im using for parts so i'll rip the diffs out of that.. but i have a few different projects going on at the moment so not till the start of the year (and i want to do a few more things to rock before i hit the lockers) but the protacks are def on my list now.. i vote for more vids :)

anshary20465
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anshary20465 » December 7th, 2012, 11:08 pm

hi guys
STORKY, how about the durability of the locker..? do you find any peroblum during using this locker?. can you tell me what measurement have to do to order this locker?

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » December 10th, 2012, 7:57 am

The only trouble I,ve had so is that every now and then one of the rear air pistons wouldn't hold air pressure when you turned it on, turned out to be faulty. I contacted Protrack about this and they sent over a new set of air pistons for the rear (no charge).I fitted them in without pulling the diff out again. So far everything is sweet.
These are the measurements they need so when you fit them you shouldn't have to reshim the diffs.
rocky.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anshary20465
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anshary20465 » December 16th, 2012, 1:22 pm

STORKY, do you have tested using one diff lock engaged? which one is best, front or rear. I have a plan to order only one air locker and I still consider which one is best. mine is rocky independent front susp. and It has LSD in the rear. I'm worried about the strength of the front axle. I have several times contact to protrack and they respond me well...the diameter of side gear should measure to,isn't it

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » December 16th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Hi anshary20465,
If I had to pick which diff, I would pick the rear. But my model (F75) has live axle's with leaf springs and no LSD .I'm not sure on your model how good the LSD is or if the independent front is strong enough. You might be better asking someone who knows more on the F78 models.
Protrack didn't ask for measurements of the side gears, but my front one's dropped straight in perfectly and one of my back one's I had to get a bit machined off, it was to tight. No problems so far.

anshary20465
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anshary20465 » December 16th, 2012, 11:52 pm

Hi Guys,
Hi STORKY, thats why I really want a locker because LSD didn't work as I expected. Do you have to drill your axles to put the air hose? are they gives warranty for their product? If it is possible please upload your video using your locker..:)

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » December 17th, 2012, 8:23 am

Hi anshary20465,
Yes, you have to drill and tap a hole in the diffs.
Warranty, just remember you are buying it from overseas and if something does go wrong you really don't have a leg to stand on. So it would help if you keep in good with them incase something does go wrong. Michael from Protrack does seem to be a decent bloke.
I already do have two Utube videos on this thread now.

anshary20465
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anshary20465 » December 24th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Hi storky,
It is possible to shift the air locker on the fly?. is it safe to use this locke in relatively high speed, example when we need a momentun up hill?

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » December 25th, 2012, 3:27 pm

I suppose you could, only if you were going in a straight line and not spinning any wheels.
I'm not going to try it, I'll always stop before putting them in. They will last longer that way.

tabrocky
Here and there

Unread post by tabrocky » January 1st, 2013, 7:46 pm

Nice work.

I looked at these lockers probably about 18 months ago but I couldn't get a definate answer from Michael if they would fit my vehicle. I now have that answer as my Rocky is also a '92 live axle beast.
Great car and will be so much more capable with lockers. I think I will be putting an order in for a set.

Overall what is your impression of the quality of the product? Aside from the hick-up with the air piston, was the quality and the finish of things like the machining up to expectations when compared with the original centres?
Also regarding the shims... Did Michael want you to measure your existing centre or the actual housing? I would have thought it impractical to try and do away with the shims given the slight amount of variation between one component and the next.

Cheers.

Return to “Rocky”