f78 Rocky Faults

gregp50
Here and there

f78 Rocky Faults

Unread post by gregp50 » September 6th, 2011, 10:46 am

Yep bought my 1993 F78 Rocky a year ago, we still learning the good and bad points of the beast, I've got coil springs at the rear and on a bush trip the rear Trailing arm broke off at the front support bush, further inspection revealed that the bush's had been changed for the Nolathane ones which dont flex, i was lucky i didn't lose the diff. My opinion is make sure ya check for hair line cracks on the rear trailing arms where it welded up to the front bush housing. I bought new trailing arms for both sides with the standard bush's at a cost of close to $400 each Ouch
Overheating well she gets hot when i climb long hills its a worry because the cooling system is in perfect shape, i going to change the thermostat from the 82c to a 76c and see how that goes, i thought it was the thermo fan but she working fine.
Since i've had her i welded up dual battery system for her, long range tank, 31" Micky Thomson Baja's, roof rack to hold my 120w solar panel to keep the beer cold, and now we getting the injection pump done at 400,000km on the clock, pretty good for a 4 cylinder turbo i reckon.
The next one is big 80amp alternator to run some good lights, dam when does it stop.

Greg

bapvw
I'm new, be nice!

Re: f78 Rocky Faults

Unread post by bapvw » September 6th, 2011, 11:45 pm

i had the same thing in regards to the arms happen to me , i just welded them up again. but i would deff pay for every one else to check for cracking around theirs.
cheers brenton

mrintenso
Been here a while

Unread post by mrintenso » September 9th, 2011, 4:29 pm

you say you have a thermo fan.. I would firstly look at this... the standard clutch fan and shroud should be fine, it is a 3 speed clutch and speeds up as it gets warmer.. check your gauge as the standard ones are not good at all mine looked normal and was 40 degrees out. If all of that is good then I would say you have a cracked head... good luck with it..

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » September 16th, 2011, 7:59 am

Yep i did a blow down check for a cracked head and there didn't seem to be any air going through the radiator, plus i keep checking for water in the oil and on top of the oil filling cap and it seems fine, haven't put the injector pump back in yet but should pick it up next week from Hiflo, going to cost $900 but saying that it hasn't been serviced and its done 400,000 since 1993, i think its money well spent because its taken 2 weeks to do and would hate to be on holidays and the pump goes.
I've put a another temp gauge in, one ya buy on ebay, i reckon the new 82c thermostat makes it get hot going up hills, i change it to 76c from R&E dandenong and see if that sorts it out.
And i reckon the clutch fan is ok, dont see any oil coming out of it and the Tonka Toy gets hot only on some hills.
Will post another post in weeks to come and let ya know how the Tonka Toy goes.

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » October 12th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Yep the Rocky is back on the road, we replaced the timing belt,thermostat,water pump,clutch fan and got the injection pump done, she is still getting 10c hotter when i go up hills and the temp gauge goes a bit over half way mark, hmm i take the driving lights off and take the grill off and give the cooling components a hit with the karcher and see if that makes a diff dam.

shambles
Been here a while

Unread post by shambles » October 17th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Hey gregp50. I went to Bursons and bought a chemical that cleaned the water ducts in the engine / radiator and it works a treat. Just make sure you flush it out with a hose at the end of its cleaning time frame. I would run it for a couple of days before draining it again and putting in a high quality coolant / corrosive inhibitor. It really help with the cooling.

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » November 2nd, 2011, 8:30 pm

Hmm thanks brothers, i reckon the rocky needs a 4 core radiator $750 and a dyno tune and that should stop the overheating at 100km

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » November 23rd, 2011, 8:21 pm

Dam the dyno tune turned up leaking fumes in the cooling system, only toke me 6 months to find the problem, i reckon i might of blown a head gasket or cracked the head when the thermostat went 6 months ago. Looks like they dont like getting to hot when the thermostats go, man there wasn't any oil in the water or water in the oil very tricky to pick it. They found the problem when they put the motor under load and the water started to bubble in the radiator.

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » January 4th, 2013, 10:43 am

Ok i have had the head of the rocky checked and it comes up fine, the recored radiator that i put in i changed to a 4 core radiator it cost $750 for the 4 core. The thermostate in it is standard 82c, the viscous fan is new, i put a pyrometer in the rocky to see if i was overfueling it, the fuel mixture is fine so it was not that.
All i can think of is the recored radiator they put in was not big enough, the 4 core radiator seemed to have fixed the heating problem.
I keep the revs up when i go up hills and the 4 core radiator is doing its job.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » January 4th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Hi gregp50, can you tell me with your new 4 core radiator, did they use the existing top and bottom tanks or is it all new?
Secondly if all new do you think they could make another one?

gregp50
Here and there

Unread post by gregp50 » January 5th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Southern radiator centre in frankston done the job, on 0397835474 and they kept the same bottom and lower tanks they did the job on the 27/02/12 invoice number is 58719, hope that helps.

storky
Here and there

Unread post by storky » January 6th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Thanks for that, I might have someone up here who reckons he can make one for me, I will still give them a call to see if they can give me some advice on it too.

Return to “Rocky”