Increasing Frontera suspension travel

fronty00
Here and there

Increasing Frontera suspension travel

Unread post by fronty00 » October 28th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Hey Guys,
I want to increase the amount of suspension travel in the Frontera i know they generally dont get much but i have seen a few where the rear ends flex far more than mine.
I know there are modified bars to allow the wheel to drop further without hitting the fuel tank from Calmini so i am wondering if i can just replace these and gain the extra flex.
Currently i Have a 2" lift and 31" tyres so the height is ok its more the flex that concerns me.
If the front can be improved then i'd be happy to hear about it to buy i have accepted with the IFS it is pretty limited especially when it comes the the CV angles
Thanks
Low range is your friend

samorgs
Here and there

Re: Increasing Frontera suspension travel

Unread post by samorgs » October 29th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Think you hit the nail on the head about the front IFS, not much can be done there. As for the rear, as you stated Calmini do have modded top links for the rear suspension. But i think you will find that on the frontera's it's the shocks that act as a stop as far as travel, so you would need to have the modded arms and longer travel rear shockies to be able to successfully get more from the rear.

cheers

fronty00
Here and there

Unread post by fronty00 » October 30th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Thanks for the reply,
When i did contact calmini they said they used the Rancho shocks in their kit which are the same shocks i have fitted so they should be long enough to make 3 inches, My thoughts so far were to fit 30mm spacers in the rear and the calmini rear arms if i can just get the arms.
I am trying to find any other ideas or methods to gain more lift so just searching for ideas now
cheers
Low range is your friend

loppa
Been here a while

Unread post by loppa » November 3rd, 2011, 6:47 pm

Hey mate I have a lot of travel in the back of my frontera it was a long road to get there but i got it. I have had the rear passenger side arm bent because that is the main one that stops travel because it hits the top of the fuel tank, and have fitted longer shocks. I can almost drop a 265 75 16 or 32 under the sill panel with this setup.

Cheers loppa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fronty00
Here and there

Unread post by fronty00 » November 17th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Hey Loppa,
That is exactly what i am after, i want to get more flex before the wheels lift.
How much work was involved and what did you need to modify to get that much drop ? was it just the arms or did you need to modify something else.
I have the Rancho's in there which have a fair bit of travel so they should be ok.
Thanks
Low range is your friend

Return to “Frontera”