Modifying/maintaining a 98 Frontera.

liljim
I'm new, be nice!

Modifying/maintaining a 98 Frontera.

Unread post by liljim » July 9th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Hi guys, just got back from looking at a nice low km frontera, very tepmted to buy it, but am having doubts because of their apparent lack of popularity and aftermarket support.

Can someone who owns/has owned and modified one tell me...

1. how easy is it to find parts to repair and modify one?
2. are they pretty reliable?
3. when things go wrong or break is it expensive to fix?
4. in pretty stock form, are they ok offroad?

I don't plan on going crazy, small lift, (40mm) or so, 31"s, bullbar, and maybe diff locks.

I understand people use rodeo bullbars etc on MUs, do they need to be modified much to fit a frontera?

Cheers guys, any advice would be helpful.

Reaper_247
Been here a while

Re: Modifying/maintaining a 98 Frontera.

Unread post by Reaper_247 » July 9th, 2011, 10:42 pm

liljim wrote:Hi guys, just got back from looking at a nice low km frontera, very tepmted to buy it, but am having doubts because of their apparent lack of popularity and aftermarket support.

Can someone who owns/has owned and modified one tell me...

1. how easy is it to find parts to repair and modify one?
2. are they pretty reliable?
3. when things go wrong or break is it expensive to fix?
4. in pretty stock form, are they ok offroad?

I don't plan on going crazy, small lift, (40mm) or so, 31"s, bullbar, and maybe diff locks.

I understand people use rodeo bullbars etc on MUs, do they need to be modified much to fit a frontera?

Cheers guys, any advice would be helpful.
I owned a 2000 Frontera before the Courier I have now.
I really liked the car, it was great on the road and light offroad was OK.
The only lift kit I know of is a Calmini lift kit and only available from a couple of places at around $2200 or so.
Fuel tank hangs a bit low and acts as a pivot point in the middle of the car.
Parts new a super expensive and not easily available but second hand parts are pretty good.
As far as reliability goes never really had a problem with mine I just needed a ute rather than a wagon.
When you are dead, you don't know that your dead, it is difficult only for the others - It is the same when you are stupid!

mitjeep
Getting to know the place

Re: Modifying/maintaining a 98 Frontera.

Unread post by mitjeep » July 12th, 2011, 7:35 pm

I've got a 98 model, suspension parts are easy to get, as are torsion bar front, coil rear, and is good offroad, but lack power on the steep stuff, long rear trailing arms give pretty good flex for a short wheel base. Very good fuel economy if not thrashed, and have a huge fuel tank, around 90 litres stock, so can go a long way on one tank. I really like mine, and is used a fair bit. It has to share 4 w driving as i have a jeep and a rodeo as well. :)
YA CANNA HANDA MAN A GRANDA JEEP:D

Return to “Frontera”