MU vacuum brake boost solved

ezytiger83
Getting to know the place

MU vacuum brake boost solved

Unread post by ezytiger83 » July 19th, 2009, 10:42 am

this may be premature, time will tell if i've solved anything, but hey.

BACKSTORY: My new MU came with a couple of engine bay mods courtesy of the previous owner, removal of the vacuum brake boost pump being one of them, and I've always dealt with the extra foot pressure required when squeezing the brake pedal, was never really a big deal as long as the driver's aware of it. Also, the passenger side of the engine was rearranged to accomodate a second battery. In the process of removing the old deepcycle battery i accidently unplugged a couple of those pesky rubber vaccuum hoses, so i got some little cable ties and set about reconnecting them, and making sure they don't come loose during normal driving.

ok, so when all was said and done, there was one hose still flapping in the breeze. and with a sherlock holmes style process of elimination, i came to the conclusion that this stray belongs to the non existent brake booster. I plugged it with a standard 16mm number plate screw, and am now left wondering why I ever would have needed a brake booster.

I know it can't be that simple, ditch the vacuum pump in favour of a litle 16mm screw. long term dramas? who knows, i'll find out in time, but day 2, it's not too bad at all.

i'm not a mechanic, so does anybody know what the go is here?

update: after taking it for a long drive down the motorway, the inevitable problem finally emerged. there's always a catch, once enough vacuum pressure has built up, the front brakes start riding :( not major, just smells a little when you get home and there's obvious loss when you hit a hill...long story short: it was always driveable and i'd rather not be buying brake pads all the time, so i'll just let it flap in the breeze, maybe get a little filter for it from somewhere, it is a vacuum after all.

ezytiger83
Getting to know the place

Unread post by ezytiger83 » August 12th, 2009, 4:21 pm

is anyone familiar with the dark art of EGR vacuum systems? could i plumb the loose hose back into the system somewhere else?

last time i enquired about the EGR on a telstar, the mechanic told me to go away :)

MUman
Here and there

Unread post by MUman » September 23rd, 2009, 11:46 am

I'd say you'd better visit the isuzu club forum for detailed issues on ya MU try
Club Isuzu • Index page free to be a member and you'll get help straight away.

:thumb:
[size=75]94 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU, 2.5" suspension lift, 2" body Lift, 33" Bighorns, Front and Rear Autolockers, Rock Sliders, alloy winch bar, roof racks, 240 lightforces, UHF, 120amp alternator, dual batteries, snorkel, 80L waeco fridge and turbo timer [/size]

Return to “MU”