Mu as first 4WD purchase

DieselUteFan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DieselUteFan » April 11th, 2009, 11:38 am

MYMU how much have you lifted your truck to get the 31's in there? Is there any rubbing during turns or articulation?

Bargie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bargie » April 11th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Hi 31's are the standard fitment size on the Mu which is good as you can go bigger without looking illegal.
as for my Mu i have a 2" bodylift and 2" suspension lift.
to get the clearance for off road.
click on my build up thread below and have a look.
[align=center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=134][url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=81610][color=RED]BARGIE'S_GQ_PATROL[/color][/url][/size][/font][/align]
[align=center][u][font=Comic Sans MS][url=http://www.4rocs.com/][color=GREEN][size=200]4ROCS[/size][size=167]OFFROAD&ADVENTURE[/size][/color][/url][/font][/u][/align]

Humvee
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Humvee » April 15th, 2009, 12:33 pm

I quiet like them but really dont know too much about em so cant offer any advice, but i wheeled with one the other day at Lithgow that was about as modified as you can get, id suggest signing into the bbm4wdclub.com.au/index
and talk to a guy called MUVIT, theres a couple of guys over on that club/forum that have em

HAYD0S
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by HAYD0S » April 27th, 2009, 1:27 pm

[quote="Mittens"]Best place to go is

planetisuzoo - An Isuzu SUV Club

It's a US site but all the guys are helpful and they love to hear from us Aussies.

I drive an 85 Jackaroo (Isuzu Trooper) and I can't fault it considering its age.. Just gotta keep it maintained - I've also owned a Rodeo spacecab 4x4 and it was awesome..QUOTE]

TradingPost....excellent value for money, not to mention the larger capacity to store equipment depending on what you intend to do with the vehicle..whats an extra 3grand hahaHolden Rodeo R7 LS SpaceCab on Trading Post Used & New Cars for Sale - Find Car Sales, Caravans & Motorbikes – cars, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Holden, Mercedes, Suzuki, BMW and Ford at low prices.

chikoroll
Need to get out more

Unread post by chikoroll » April 30th, 2009, 10:34 am

lol was that just a bad post or an advertisement or ...uh....???

leakovery
Here and there

mu best choice for cheap off roader

Unread post by leakovery » May 1st, 2009, 3:12 pm

i owned a mu for years and only sold it because of a third child.
the mu is a four seater with more comforts than almost any 4x4 out there.
leg room for rear pasengers is second to none. 4x4 abuility is way up there. and parts are very easy to obtain inclueding panels switches and electical items.they import cars for wrecking every month. try Alljap Auto Parts, Body Parts For Repairs, Engine Conversion, Mechanical Repairs, Virginia, Underwood, QLD, Australia for any parts ecept service bits a peices. oil filters can be bought any where use Sakura C1712, Ryco A1388, AC Delco AC066 .
shockies and all steering componants are same as rodeo.
rear disc brakes are from jackaroo.
change the oil every 5000kms and you will be trouble free.

i rate these 4x4 very highly.
the rear dif is a dana and has 38mm axles
the 2.8 engine gets more miles before rebuild
the 3.1 needs to be intercooled in au for beter engine life in austalia.
i fitted a intercooler from new zealend that cost 300 bucks incueding frieght. the nz wreckers are overload with parts for them as they are most common serious off roader and often damaged by silly people.

if you buy a 3.1 with no intercooller in australia . fit one asap from wrecker in nz. they will send you everything inclueding the bonett scoop. you will save a grand or more and add a longer life to the head of your engine. holden refused to use the 3.1 in rodeo with out an intercooler as it is unreliable in australia. parts are cheap just as long as you stay away from buisness that do not deal with them on a regular basis. stick to nz wreckers and the above link and you will keep your mu on the road as cheap as chips.
i had well over 300000 kms on mine and bought it with 64ooo. it cost me and injection pump from dodgie fuel but claimed that back from oil company. and a altenator. apart from that it was just serviced as required. the best car i have ever owned.

buy one . theres plenty in the goldcoast and brisbane area

ezytiger83
Getting to know the place

Unread post by ezytiger83 » May 2nd, 2009, 7:18 am

are any panels compatible between rodeo and mu? have often thought about it, but without the two of them in front of me to compare, who knows? i swear they share the same doors.

Bargie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bargie » May 3rd, 2009, 11:16 pm

Yeh doors you can swap over no probs. front guards are different as the mu has a flared gaurd so wider than rodeo. bonnet the same on both.
also most of the frontera panels change over too.
[align=center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=134][url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=81610][color=RED]BARGIE'S_GQ_PATROL[/color][/url][/size][/font][/align]
[align=center][u][font=Comic Sans MS][url=http://www.4rocs.com/][color=GREEN][size=200]4ROCS[/size][size=167]OFFROAD&ADVENTURE[/size][/color][/url][/font][/u][/align]

ezytiger83

Unread post by ezytiger83 » May 4th, 2009, 3:14 pm

excellent, i've got a 91 mu and i want the chrome look mirrors like on a 95, but i need to change the whole door i think. didn't think i'd have much luck if i went looking for a wrecking mu. how late model are we talking with the rodeo? '98?

Basada
Been here a while

Mu as first 4WD purchase Reply to Thread

Unread post by Basada » May 4th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Hi The statement unbreakerable is incorrect. I had a 2.8 4JB1 con rod broke put 4 holes in the block . The block when looked at was warped by the forces when conrod broke. Middle of motor between 2 and 3 pot blown outwards. All over red rover in less than 10 seconds. Still have head, injectors ,pump etc in shed if someones looking for parts. top end looks good. it was the bottom end that gave way. No indication from the motor that this was going to happen. Purchased another import [ timing belt] not chain ran like a dream and still running today.

leakovery
Here and there

Unread post by leakovery » May 4th, 2009, 8:31 pm

basada wrote:hi the statement unbreakerable is incorrect. I had a 2.8 4jb1 con rod broke put 4 holes in the block . The block when looked at was warped by the forces when conrod broke. Middle of motor between 2 and 3 pot blown outwards. All over red rover in less than 10 seconds. Still have head, injectors ,pump etc in shed if someones looking for parts. Top end looks good. It was the bottom end that gave way. No indication from the motor that this was going to happen. Purchased another import [ timing belt] not chain ran like a dream and still running today.

a 4bj1 never chucks it if its serviced ever 5000 kms and not over reved. They are a fantastic engine used in plant equipment and cars. Seen them with 500000m kms in rodeos. Sounds like you had an abused one . I sold mine to my brother and he lent it out to some one , put a hole in the sump lost its oil and it still drove home , engine was replaced as the crank was damaged from no oil. But it didnt go bang like yours did.

MUman
Here and there

Unread post by MUman » May 5th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Just letting you know that the OZ and NZ MU web site (clubisuzu.com) is down for a revamp so you might have issues trying to veiw the site for a while.

Cheers

UPDATE :
The forum is running just no the main page yet LOL
Clubisuzu.com - Home
[size=75]94 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU, 2.5" suspension lift, 2" body Lift, 33" Bighorns, Front and Rear Autolockers, Rock Sliders, alloy winch bar, roof racks, 240 lightforces, UHF, 120amp alternator, dual batteries, snorkel, 80L waeco fridge and turbo timer [/size]

Bargie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bargie » May 5th, 2009, 7:17 pm

ezytiger83 wrote:excellent, i've got a 91 mu and i want the chrome look mirrors like on a 95, but i need to change the whole door i think. didn't think i'd have much luck if i went looking for a wrecking mu. how late model are we talking with the rodeo? '98?
Hey mate have a look at my build thread as i have chrome backed mirrors on mine got them on Ebay quite cheep and brand new and they are good quality also so that way you can keep your original doors.
click on the build uplink below in my signature.
cheers Glen

ezytiger83

Unread post by ezytiger83 » May 6th, 2009, 3:53 pm

aha, yep gotcha, searched ebay for rodeo chrome mirrors, carsrusaustralia have them pretty cheap, also quite alot of other useful stuff, bumbers, grills, door handles. cheers for that

K:POW
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Mu as first 4WD purchase

Unread post by K:POW » August 22nd, 2011, 6:05 pm

Im, looking at getting my first 4wd.. i cant decide between a Suzuki Sierra or an MU ..

can anyone give me advice? like..what are the pros and cons of each ?

thanks,
K:POW

Return to “MU”