Mu as first 4WD purchase

DieselUteFan
I'm new, be nice!

Mu as first 4WD purchase

Unread post by DieselUteFan » April 6th, 2009, 1:34 am

Hey guys and girls,

I am looking at an Isuzu Mu as my first 4WD. Can anyone tell me what to look for when checking them out?
Also what is the benefit of the 3.1L TD over the 2.8L TD? Which is the better engine?
For an early to mid '90s model with under 200k, what is a fair price?
Is the Mu the same 4WD as the Frontera?
Thanks heaps

DUFan

Mittens
Been here a while

Unread post by Mittens » April 6th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Best place to go is

planetisuzoo - An Isuzu SUV Club

It's a US site but all the guys are helpful and they love to hear from us Aussies.

I drive an 85 Jackaroo (Isuzu Trooper) and I can't fault it considering its age.. Just gotta keep it maintained - I've also owned a Rodeo spacecab 4x4 and it was awesome..

I'm a little Isuzu crazy tho.. You may catch the Isuzu bug once you own one..

lumberjack6769
Avid Poster

Unread post by lumberjack6769 » April 6th, 2009, 2:10 pm

I'd check with an insurer to see how much they want to insure one, i say that because i rented a house from a panel beater in 1998 and he had 1 in getting a drivers side gaurd replaced it took 2 months to get one from japanland and then it had different bolt pattern( weld up re drill).

DieselUteFan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DieselUteFan » April 6th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Yeah both very valid pojnts guys. I am probably a few months off purchasing anyway, so thought I would start investigating any possible worries now!
I have heard that Isuzu Diesel engines are near unbreakable! Is that true? Obviously provided they are kept maintained with fresh lubricants regularly.

chikoroll
Need to get out more

Unread post by chikoroll » April 6th, 2009, 9:48 pm

all but the last 3.0 T/D in the Jackaroo's are unbreakable (failed attempt at new technology)
the MU's are a rare breed, look brilliant though, have a look for a vehicross whilst you're at it, they grow on you

planetisuzoo - An Isuzu SUV Club
4x4 Club Isuzu Australia & New Zealand

they should do it for you, if look on planetisuzoo.com, look for the Amigo's

DieselUteFan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DieselUteFan » April 6th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Yeah took me a little while to figure out which american one was the MU (Amigo). They look good!
Well I will only have around $5000-7000 to spend on the MU, with a little left for some good tyres, and some suspension if needed, so will be an older model MU say around '91-'95. I am guessing the 3.0 TD is only in the newer ones?
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Vehicross?

MUman
Here and there

Unread post by MUman » April 7th, 2009, 11:57 am

Definitely search Clubisuzu.com - Home for all your answer.

Firstly don't ever compare a MU to a frontera,.....:(
They look nearly the same but thats about it.

Mu are definitely alot more heavier, stronger, diesels engines and different suspension. My MU unloaded weighs nearly 1800kgs.

The american amigo although looks like an MU it really isn't close as the engine and suspension is different.
Depending where you are, in OZ the MU are rare-ish, most will be the 2.8L 90-93, the rare 3.1 (late 93-95) are round but hard to find the 95s are near impossible. The wizzards (again near impossible to find are long wheel base MUs).

Insurance, if you under 25 then your stuffed and expect to pay BIG $$$$$, if 25 or over I would look at 4wd insurance Australia, DGA. They have exceptional prices, I have been with them for 5 years now and only pay $44 a month.

Both engines are great (made by Isuzu) fuel wise expect around 900-1000kms a tank (84L) at 9 - 12L/100 highway - city and the 3.1l with a touch more power get around 700-800kms at 11-13l/100kms highway - city.
I hope that helps,.....now I'm off for holidays

:waycool:
[size=75]94 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU, 2.5" suspension lift, 2" body Lift, 33" Bighorns, Front and Rear Autolockers, Rock Sliders, alloy winch bar, roof racks, 240 lightforces, UHF, 120amp alternator, dual batteries, snorkel, 80L waeco fridge and turbo timer [/size]

DieselUteFan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DieselUteFan » April 7th, 2009, 5:31 pm

MUman Thanks heaps for that, definately answers my questions. I have seen a few 2.8l around, but yet to go and test them, and have also seen one 3.1L which looks like it has some good extra power!
Enjoy your holidays.

Bargie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bargie » April 7th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Hi mate i have a 90 2.8 MU they are a great little vehicle go just about anywhere very steep hills are a bit of a worry tend to stand up sometimes.
the engine is great plenty of power but can be increased with a intercooler and some more boost. they are very reliable one thing to keep an eye on is the steering box as they can leak at the top seal and i was quoted about $300 to rebuild. also check that the hand brake cables are not siezed as that is also common and they are hard to find second hand as the MU was a low volume import into OZ.
not hard to lift body or suspension. lockers are available
a Mu is a good 4wd. and great fun..
cheers Glen.
[align=center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=134][url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=81610][color=RED]BARGIE'S_GQ_PATROL[/color][/url][/size][/font][/align]
[align=center][u][font=Comic Sans MS][url=http://www.4rocs.com/][color=GREEN][size=200]4ROCS[/size][size=167]OFFROAD&ADVENTURE[/size][/color][/url][/font][/u][/align]

DieselUteFan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DieselUteFan » April 8th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Hey thanks Glen, so handbrake and steering box are things to look out for! What are the Manual and Auto transmissions like on them? Which is the better?
Ta
Jon

Bargie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bargie » April 8th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Hi dont know what the autos are like but the manual is good and the ratios are good for off road.
[align=center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=134][url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=81610][color=RED]BARGIE'S_GQ_PATROL[/color][/url][/size][/font][/align]
[align=center][u][font=Comic Sans MS][url=http://www.4rocs.com/][color=GREEN][size=200]4ROCS[/size][size=167]OFFROAD&ADVENTURE[/size][/color][/url][/font][/u][/align]

DieselUteFan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DieselUteFan » April 9th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Ok cool, so there are no real manual gearbox problems like spitting teeth?
Also would you guys suggest a good set of LT tyres and a lift be the first and best mods?

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » April 9th, 2009, 9:28 pm

i would say a good set of all terrain tyres, preferably light truck, would be a good first mod for just about any fourby :).....couple of inches of lift wouldn't go astray either...but it depends on what kind of 4WDing your doing as to how essential it would be....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

Bargie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bargie » April 10th, 2009, 8:46 am

DieselUteFan wrote:Ok cool, so there are no real manual gearbox problems like spitting teeth?
Also would you guys suggest a good set of LT tyres and a lift be the first and best mods?
havent heard of gearboxes breaking at all they are quite strong.

and as for tyres depends on what brand and type of tyre and price range.
i'm running goodyear wrangler mtr's in 31x10.5x15. they are good off road but a bit noisey on road being muddies. and cost round $250-$300 depending where you get them.

Bargie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bargie » April 10th, 2009, 8:48 am

DieselUteFan wrote:Ok cool, so there are no real manual gearbox problems like spitting teeth?
havent heard of gearboxes breaking at all they are quite strong.

and as for tyres depends on what brand and type of tyre and price range.
i'm running goodyear wrangler mtr's in 31x10.5x15. they are good off road but a bit noisey on road being muddies. and cost round $250-$300 depending where you get them. as for lift it is a good thing as mu's are not very high in standard form.

Return to “MU”