Isuzu MU Suspension - any Aussie lift kits?

Ultra Magnus
I'm new, be nice!

Isuzu MU Suspension - any Aussie lift kits?

Unread post by Ultra Magnus » April 29th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Hi,
I have a 1991 Isuzu MU - Mysterious Utility.
From what I can figure out it uses TF Rodeo Front Suspension and Jackaroo Rear Suspension.

I want to lift it I have found a full kit in the USA but would prefer to buy it in Australia ??
I do know that ARB do a lift but it is only 25mm

Any help would be appreciated. :truck:

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Re: Isuzu MU Suspension - any Aussie lift kits?

Unread post by Dmaxqld » April 29th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Think you will find it is the other way around.

The Rodeo and Jackaroo were rebadged Isuzus

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 30th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 30th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Ultra Magnus wrote:..... I do know that ARB do a lift but it is only 25mm .....:
Without spending a lot of money &/more doing a bunch of cutting/welding, that particular design of IF suspension is not really 'safe' to go lifting it much over that anyway - certainly not any higher than a max of 40mm or so lift!! Very few of the so called 'taller' lifts actually achieve much more than that up front regardless of how high they claim to lift! And pretty much no matter what you do to the front end anyway, unless you are changing the arm length &/or moving the pivot points on the chassis/sub frame, you won't actually be getting much (if any) more suspension travel than you had prior to the 'lift'; it'll really only make the vehicle sit at a higher static ride height, but the max travel length of the OE suspension design will still be the max travel you get!! In fact, some of the so called taller lifts that don't do those things can actually make the total range of travel available LESS than the OE designed gear!! After all, if the critical travel limiting features (pivot points, arm length, & bump stops/travel limiting chassis components) haven't moved or been changed significantly, even blind Freddie should realise that you won't be getting any more travel overall!! :crazy:

You might be better off sticking to one of the smaller lifts & cutting/re-profiling the guards & wheel arches so you can fit larger dia tyres & increasing your ground clearance under the diffs that way.... (btw, that's the only real way to go, just doing a suspension lift without fitting bigger tyres won't give you much more under diff clearance anyway!!) That said, fitting larger dia wheels (not necessarily any wider tho) will adversely effect your gearing/low range crawl speed, which is not normally something that 'helps' too much with any vehicles' off road capability!!

Just a couple of the potential drawbacks IFS vehicles run into when modding for better off road capability!! If you really want to maximise its traction capability, especially off road, have you sourced a (rear) locker yet?? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “MU”