94 jackaroo ubs series v6 with transfer case noise! Ideas?

tony bogle
Here and there

94 jackaroo ubs series v6 with transfer case noise! Ideas?

Unread post by tony bogle » February 19th, 2017, 11:59 am

Hello all i have a noise all of a sudden coming from my transfer gearbox while driving i have checked to see if it has oil it does it could do with a change i have had it for about 3 months it is an auto it sounds like a constantant zipping noise like a chain gear ona street machine has this happend to anyone else what could be the problem is it worth fixing or getting rid of it i dont want to it is an underated 4wd cheers tony

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 94 jackaroo ubs series v6 with transfer case noise! Idea

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 19th, 2017, 2:55 pm

It could be something as simple as low oil or even poor quality oil in the transfer case - in which case it's definitely worth changing the oil & making sure the level is correct!

It also sounds like it might be a dead or dying uni-joint; they often make those odd sorta jingling or zipping noises. Try adding grease to the uni's & see if that changes/stops the noise; or get under there & watch the cup ends of each uni while you try to move the drive-shaft sideways & in/out - any free movement/slop is a give-away!! Have you got a workshop manual, a hammer, a socket set, & maybe a big vice or shop press?? Changing a uni-joint isn't really all that hard.... ;)

A good workshop manual (even a Gregory's or Haines for about $50) will help diagnose & fix this sort of thing! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

tony bogle
Here and there

Unread post by tony bogle » February 19th, 2017, 5:16 pm

cheers peter i will check all of that tomorrow thankyou for your advice i will follow it ....

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » February 20th, 2017, 7:09 pm

do you know if the t/case is gear or Hyvo chain? . . .if its the chain, then it could be stretched and rubbing on something inside. . . . ! Have you drained/changed the oil in it? If so, was the oil cloudy with alloy particles in it?

tony bogle
Here and there

Unread post by tony bogle » February 21st, 2017, 5:08 pm

hello typhoeus i am not sure whether it is chain driven or not the oil is really black and has a bad smell to it the oil isnt cloudy or has particals in it so i am in the proccess of oil changes and greasing it up just eliminate cheers tony

Return to “Jackaroo”