98 V6 stalling. AFM diagnosed by shop.

LostPatrol
I'm new, be nice!

98 V6 stalling. AFM diagnosed by shop.

Unread post by LostPatrol » February 17th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Hi. My first post here. It's about a 98 auto V6 Jackeroo. Family car, owned since new. It's stalled at least 3 times around town in the last few weeks, at either low throttle going down a 60km/hr hill, or pulling up to a stop sign (from what I hear). Check engine light is on. The vehicle cannot presently be trusted to be driven anywhere.

Vehicle has done a modest 130K kms (all very easy, never off-road, regular servicing). I know it's had a routine timing belt replacement and valve clearance check, for instance.

The local repair shop has diagnosed AFM faulty code, said they would get a new AFM (same shop that has done ALL maintenance to vehicle over it's entire life).....and then, after several phone calls from family, taken almost two weeks to come up with....a USED part from the wreckers, which did not fit. I'm unimpressed. If they would just do a reasonable job and charge only for the actual time it takes, I would be more than happy for that to happen, but for whatever reason, they do not want to seem to do that.

I'm annoyed I have to be doing this, as much because I may have to deal with my dad, and that's not simple. He won't take it somewhere else. :mad: And my mother needs to use the car. I don't want to say what I think might be going on here with the shop. Let's just call it incompetence.

I have found several suppliers of a Genuine Holden AFM on Ebay for $200-250, and a local Holden Dealer could get one (same part I think) for $410. This part is different to the original that it supersedes, but apparently should drop straight in. I think I could do this myself easily, assuming there are not other electrical/sensor problems causing the AFM fault code. I did a motor trade long ago, and fix my own stuff when necessary, after doing a little research. I'm sure I could get to the bottom of whatever it is, but am just wary of some difficult to track down wiring or multiple sensor problem.

Any tips or reassurances?

LostPatrol
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 98 V6 stalling. AFM diagnosed by shop.

Unread post by LostPatrol » February 18th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Well, the old man won't budge. He still wants this 'great' shop to do whatever it is they say is necessary. :urgh: BTW, they've told him a new, genuine MAF will be well over $400 for the part alone. Right. :boggle: The GMH parts distribution centre is 5 minutes drive from their workshop...

I can't help him. I wouldn't even care as long as they actually DID just fix it pronto when it was taken to them in the first place, instead of drag it out over two weeks - and a new part has STILL not been ordered yet.

Return to “Jackaroo”