what's a good lift kit?

toobs
Been here a while

what's a good lift kit?

Unread post by toobs » November 16th, 2015, 5:17 pm

The standard gear is really starting to let go so i want to replace everything and get a bit of lift without having to modify anything else. Tough dog have a full kit 35mm raised for about $1100 and Bilstein 50mm for $1500. I've heard less than favourable reports about the Bilsteins.
I don't need the struts to be adjustable, I'm just after a basic replacement set of struts with heavy duty lifted torsion bars and Springs.
Ta

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: what's a good lift kit?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 22nd, 2015, 1:16 pm

Bilsteins are usually a very good product, so any bad reports you've heard about them are more likely to be due to due to people fitting them with unreasonable expectations or possibly even cos they were totally the wrong set-up for what the owner/driver really wanted!! Similarly with Tough Dog, altho they aren't usually considered to be in quite the same league as Bilsteins, they are still a bloody good 4WD suspension that, when chosen/specified correctly for the desired result & fitted properly, will work very well! If you explain clearly to a good suspension mob what you want & expect from a new suspension, they should be able to fit you out with a kit from either maker that does what you are after! The Tough Dogs will generally be cheaper, but then they aren't quite so 'rebuildable' or usually considered to be quite as up-market - but both are good brand names & usually damn good products too!! :thumb:

It's probably worth noting that most IFS front ends really can't handle much more than a 35-40ish mm lift without compromising suspension travel &/or CV's etc; so unless that 50mm lift is being measured at the rear with the front being a tad lower (as these vehicles have been designed to operate btw!) then that could be contributing to why you've seen bad reports on the Bilsteins... If people are fitting lifts that exceed the 'safe travel' range of the remaining OE suspension components, then of course things won't end up well!!

And if you aren't carrying 'extra load', especially up front, then fitting heavy duty torsion bars or any type of Heavy Duty springs WILL give you a harsher ride over std as well as lifting the vehicle!! If you haven't been too upset by the ride & handling, you might be better off just re-indexing or replacing the OE torsion bars/springs with similar spec but lifted bars/springs & fitting upgraded replacement shocks/struts instead of going for 'heavier' springs all around ;)

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

toobs
Been here a while

Re: what's a good lift kit?

Unread post by toobs » November 24th, 2015, 12:43 pm

That's what I figured, surely a reputable company like Bilstein wouldn't make a crap product. Nonetheless, I've picked up a pair of Monroe Maganums for the rear to get me going. Word from the local mechanic is that Tough Dog are made by Monroe anyway. At $250/pair I figured I can't go wrong. the finger is also hovering over the click to buy button for a pair of raised King springs, the regular duty version.

Interesting that you mention the front/rear height difference. Several years ago I had the torsion bars wound up a notch so the car sat dead level. I went on basis that I never really load up the car that much so it wouldn't matter, but that may change with the lift.

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Jackaroo”