97 Jackaroo - Replace Engine with motor from...?

Jackaroo-Flow
I'm new, be nice!

97 Jackaroo - Replace Engine with motor from...?

Unread post by Jackaroo-Flow » May 24th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a Holden Jackaroo from 1997, V6, 3,2 Engine, petrol and it is a automatic. Now two of my cylinders are fucked! So my plan is to change the complete engine with a second hand one. (its probably cheaper than to fix the cylinder)

Now I was looking for a second hand engine but I'm not really sure which engine from which car and model I can use for this.
So my questions are:
1. Which Jackaroo models have the same engine as my 1997 Jack that I can use for my car?
2. Is there some other car models that may have the same engine as a 97 Jackaroo? I read that the Holden Rodeo and Frontera have the same one? If this is true, which years?
3.I have a dual fuel system, so I have petrol and LPG. Is it a 'must have' that the second hand engine is also a dual fuel system motor as well? Or can I use a normal petrol motor and install it without any troubles from my LPG system?

Im really happy with all answers and say right now thanks :) cheers flo

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: 97 Jackaroo - Replace Engine with motor from...?

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » May 25th, 2015, 11:00 am

Whats wrong with the cylinders? Are they cracked or too badly scorred for a rebore?

I reckon 2nd hand motors are a bit of a gamble and will probably cost more than they are worth unless you are planning on selling the car soon.

Dunno about the first 2 Questions, but why don't you just get the engine from the SAME model.
As for the LPG, yeah, its all just stuff to bolt up to the outside of the motor for most LPG applications, so any petrol motor would work. You may have a remapped distributor, and maybe a gas cam, but you can change all that over pretty easily.

Any unleaded motor should be able to handle LPG fine.

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » May 25th, 2015, 11:02 am

That 3.2l Petrol is almost certainly a 6VD1 Isuzu engine. The Rodeo has the same one.

Ther'll be lots of those around I would have thought, the v6 rodeo was pretty popular.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » May 25th, 2015, 6:30 pm

what about a commodore engine? later 3.6 ones are fairly efficient, easy to get, and maybe, maybe easy to fit. . . ?

Jackaroo-Flow
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jackaroo-Flow » May 27th, 2015, 11:51 am

Thank you very much Guys!!!

Jimmy I have no idea what's wrong with the cylinders, but a mechanic said to me that to check it and fix it would cost around 3000-4000$! And if I´m lucky I can get a second hand engine for around 800-1400$. And yes I wanna fix the car and sell it after 2 months...it's a backpacker car so if I dont fix it, I will lose a lot of money :(

@ the other guys: it's pretty hard to find a 97 Jackaroo, so do you know which model/year of Jackaroos have the same engine with the same parts, size, etc? Because I hear that after 98 there is a different engine with different connections...

Would be nice if you can help me again :) Flo

Return to “Jackaroo”