What can I do for better fuel economy??

Sean93
I'm new, be nice!

What can I do for better fuel economy??

Unread post by Sean93 » September 29th, 2014, 5:28 pm

quick question I have a 1992 jack and was wondering what I can do for better fuel economy as I am getting really bad mileage from a tank any help would be appreciated thanks

toobs
Been here a while

Re: What can I do for better fuel economy??

Unread post by toobs » December 21st, 2014, 9:07 pm

What mileage are you getting?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 23rd, 2014, 11:53 am

Just about everything you do to the engine/driveline improve your Jack off road will make your overall fuel economy worse to some extent, even fitting barwork & drawers, fridges, etc & carrying a full size spare, all the tools you might have, & completely filling any long range tank you have will add weight that means your fuel economy suffers. So from the outset, you should try to be very careful about what mods you do, and stick to the things that are essential for what you are doing, or at least stay with things that you'll benefit from regularly!!

Apart from that, making sure that all your filters are clean & unblocked is a good start - fuel, air, even oil!! Service the vehicle properly, oil change, check the brakes, grease all the uni's & suspension etc; and while you are at it, get the engine tuned properly. Is your vehicle petrol engined or diesel? Regardless of what fuel it uses, a good tune will help; even diesels will benefit from getting the tappets/valve clearance & timing set properly & from having the right quantity of fuel delivered to the engine at the right time/pressure/atomised to the correct degree!! And winding the fuel up chasing more power can be overdone & cost you fuel by overfuelling, overheating, & pumping too much of it out the back as black smoke.... so if you've got a diesel that ever blows black smoke under power, you can almost certainly improve your fuel economy by winding the fuel back a little - get it tuned properly & you'll also reduce the chance of expensive engine meltdown (which is fairly high if you've wound the fuel up too high!!) minimise engine overheating, & probably get you a better balance of useable power & fuel economy as well!! Make sure that your tyres are at the right pressure and not too big or the wrong tread pattern for the driving you are doing, & that you are driving your vehicle using the gears to keep the engine in or near the sweet spot on the power/torque curves - revving any engine too hard is not good for fuel economy, and neither is not revving them hard enough; & both will reduce the potential life of the engine!! Generally, the revs that your engine sits at when you are doing about 100 kph in 4th gear (or whatever your 1:1 gear is) will be close to the sweet spot in torque/power, so driving/selecting the gear that gives you the road speed you want but keeps the revs within about 500-1000 rpm of either side of that 'sweet spot' is usually going to be best. Don't over-rev your engine, & certainly don't keep it at high revs for long periods, but don't let the engine lug around at low revs when you are in a higher gear than necessary either, both will cost fuel & increase wear/damage in the engine/driveline in the long run, & almost certainly cost you fuel economy too!!

But if all that's too hard, you could try never driving over 85/90 kph; fitting standard sized tyres & running them within about 10% of the pressures recommended on the tyre placard (usually 10% or so higher pressures will give you better fuel economy, but it also tends to reduce tyre life, make your ride & handling worse, & reduce traction in almost all circumstances); rip all the barwork off the outside of the vehicle; throw everything out of the inside/cabin that isn't essential for whatever driving you are currently doing (who needs a back seat all the time??!); and if your vehicle is lifted, lower it back to standard (maybe even explore dropping it right down?!) If it's still using a lot of fuel after doing all that, then either live with it or maybe you can start on the more extreme options... like fitting a lightweight/thin sheet of metal over the entire underside of the vehicle; shaving the door handles & all the trim off the outside; losing the external mirrors, window shields, etc; maybe even taping the panel joins over so that they are all smooth; fitting low rolling resistance tyres; taking all the trim, sound deadening, & 'extra fittings' out of the vehicle to lighten it (who really needs a seat anyway, an upturned placcy bucket is lighter); & never carrying passengers; etc.... :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 23rd, 2014, 11:55 am

Only drive down hill?

by a Prius?

Other then that there are no real positives on the horizon for a mid/large 4wd.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Captain Cupcake
Avid Poster

Unread post by Captain Cupcake » December 28th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Sean93 wrote:quick question I have a 1992 jack and was wondering what I can do for better fuel economy as I am getting really bad mileage from a tank any help would be appreciated thanks
Petrol or Diesel?

ants1986
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ants1986 » January 13th, 2015, 8:23 pm

I have a 1997 Jack 3.2 Petrol and i get 100km/1/4 tank. is that bout right? i havent done anything to it other than uhf

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » January 14th, 2015, 8:09 am

Auto or manual? sounds ok for auto, manuals get a lill better, it may be due for a new o2 sensor and coolant temp sensor if all the typical servicing has been done.

Return to “Jackaroo”