Who's had their 4JX1 rebuilt? Looking for prices

toobs
Been here a while

Who's had their 4JX1 rebuilt? Looking for prices

Unread post by toobs » June 7th, 2014, 2:52 pm

I'm sure there's at least a couple blokes here that have had their 3.0TD's rebuilt. Whilst I appreciate every rebuild is different, I'm after any information on essential things to cover as well a how much it cost.

Cheers
Last edited by toobs on June 9th, 2014, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Who's had their 4xj1 rebuilt? Looking for prices

Unread post by mydmax » June 7th, 2014, 4:22 pm

4JX1 perhaps? The 4JX1 is quite a different engine to other Isuzu diesels and it may be easier to find a good ored running engine form somewhere rather than rebuild it.
I don't know the costs but many on the Australia 4WD forum have and there is a specific section on them and the problems.
Most Holden places don't know much about them and to find a mechanic there who "knows the engine", is rare at Holden.

iananita
Here and there

Re: Who's had their 4JX1 rebuilt? Looking for prices

Unread post by iananita » June 11th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Rebuild? What's wrong.

Mostly these motors have problems with injectors, heads, turboes. Bottom end is strong. Sorry dual mass flywheel can give some problems. The injectors alone can be expensive. I would consider replace engine either another 4JX1 or engine swap before rebuild.

toobs
Been here a while

Unread post by toobs » June 11th, 2014, 7:15 pm

The problem I have appears to be low oil pressure. At Holdens the mechanic had the diagnostic tool plugged in and found very low oil pressure across the fuel rail. He suggested that it was because the secondary oil pump that gets the fuel injectors up to pressure was stuffed.

The symptoms were-
sudden and unexplained power loss. Happened within 10km of an oil change, same oil used, nothing altered or modified.
barely idling, the more it was run, the worse it got.
after sitting around in the workshop, it would take an hour to start the car even with charged batteries and a jumper pack.
no oil/coolant contamination detected.
once the car got started it barely made it around the block, in the end it had to be towed to its current location.

cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » June 11th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Highly unlikely the oil pump/s will suddenly be stuffed and with fresh cooler oil they would have to be providing better oil pressure.

More likely the ORPS (Oil Rail Pressure Sensor is dirty and the holes in have been blocked with the new oil flushing stuff around in the galleries. Apparently the white wire on the ORPS is one you cut to see if it runs ok, if it does then it is the ORPS usually at fault.
ORPS cleaning is cheaper than oil pumps.
There is also a Rail Pressure Control Valve (RPCV) which I presume controls the oil pressure in the rail which the injectors use for their pumping. The low oil pressure which is being detected via a scan tool may be the RPCV not operating correctly.
Does the technician actually know anything about the 4JX1??????????? Nearly ALL Holden dealers know nothing about the 4JX1

This is info I have gleaned from people with such problems, never done it myself.

Australia 4WD has a section dedicated to 4JX1 troubles, of which there are many.

iananita
Here and there

Unread post by iananita » June 12th, 2014, 10:14 am

Check the oil pick up in the sump

toobs
Been here a while

Unread post by toobs » June 13th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I've pulled out, stripped and cleaned the OPCV (oil pressure control valve) which had quite a bit of crud in it.

Just waiting for a fuel pipe to be repaired, managed to break it on removal...

Noelw
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Noelw » November 15th, 2015, 12:39 pm

toobs

Wrong oil, Jacks dont like heavy oil, was the oil pump loosened for some reason and the seal got pinched, gotta be simple reason, my motor just died afte 13 yrs, never had a problem, always serviced and used recommended oil, no warning just died, no oil pressure and metal in the sump, now i,ve got a great rig with a stuffed motor, same dilemna re rebuild, dont trust rebuilds, my motor only had 260000 k's on it...
noelw

toobs
Been here a while

Unread post by toobs » November 16th, 2015, 11:35 am

I had your exact problem. It was the oil pickup that had snapped off. The original units are weak by design. Drop an extra 2-4L of oil in and if it starts you know that it is the pickup. It's a $150 fix if you can remove the sump yourself. Holdens have the stronger oil pickups in Stock. I'm willing to bet this is your solution.

toobs
Been here a while

Unread post by toobs » November 16th, 2015, 11:40 am

My mechanics had the same diagnosis. I spent $3000 at holdens and ended up getting it taken away on a trailer. Try adding extra oil, i can't remember exactly how much but be prepared to add at least a couple of litres.

Jackaroo Ted
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jackaroo Ted » November 30th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Can also be the Pick-up strainers themselves are clogged full of debris like bits of metal form a wearing turbo sleeve bearing or bits of silicone or rubber seals or even oil gels. Sometimes cleaning RPCV itself doesn't work because there is too much play in the components or the solenoid itself has been cooked, so you need to replace it with a Caterpillar 122-5053 for around $250 or you can get a chinese clone off Aliexpress for about $150'ish delivered.

If you've had an injector with dodgy internal seals, then they slowly leak Diesel into your sump oil and can cause the 51mm x 3mm O-rings at the end of the Oil rail to melt and then the Oil rail cannot hold any oil pressure, or the 19mm nut at the bottom of the rail also has an O-ring which can melt in the presence of diesel in the oil. Then there are the 2 O-rings whcih seal the Oil pipe coming form the Hgh Pressure Oil Pump which sometimes need replacing, and then there are the 4 Square O-Rings that seal the injectors onto the Oil Rail which can become damaged and allow oil pressure to leak.
I only know what I know, so if I don't know, I'll let you know.

Return to “Jackaroo”