4JX1 total power loss- back from the dead- now running!

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: 4XJ1 total power loss and dies- ecotec conversion?

Unread post by typhoeus » June 7th, 2014, 8:39 pm

have you priced getting the injectors reconditioned? It would surely be cheaper than brand new, There are tutorial videos on youtube to show you how to clean and recon your own. Also I know a shim supplier in Melbourne who supplies shims in any size, and ships (to Sydney at least) very cheaply. 23mm Toyota shims are about $12 each with about $5 to $10 for shipping depending on weight. You will most likely not have to replace then all, as after measuring, you may be able to reuse certain ones on other valves, I don't know if you need special tools or not for yours. With my 3RZFE Toyota, I made up a little tool . . basically a bent screwdriver. . . .to push the edge of the shim cup down far enough to flick the shim out .

toobs
Been here a while

Re: 4XJ1 total power loss and dies- ecotec conversion?

Unread post by toobs » June 28th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the link DJR96. I've had the opportunity to remove, strip, clean and reinstall the oil pressure control valve.
After lots of cranking, stalling and poor idle, once the engine got close to operating temperature it maintained a smoother idle. There was a lot of white smoke out the exhaust which seemed to mostly subside once at operating temperature but puff out again with any increase in revs. I could hold 1500rpm for about 10-20 seconds before the engine speed would drop and stall or almost stall. After another 10-20 seconds the idle would come good again.
I tried driving around the yard in first gear but after about 10-20 seconds of driving it would stall or almost stall, needing a moment to come good again.
I also noticed that the engine sounds different to normal, akin to the sound of loose tappets.
The factory oil pressure gauge reads between 550-600kpa at idle. I am not sure what it should be.

At this point in time the car is running better than when it was at the workshop, which means that overhauling the OPCV made a significant difference.

I am now trying to identify the cause of the stalling after increase in revs/load and the issue to the white smoke.

I suspect that the turbo seals may be leaking oil into the inlet. This would explain the white exhaust smoke. On previous occasions when I replaced the intercooler, I found that the inside was caked in a film of fresh oil, indicating an oil seal leak in the turbo. There is no excessive oil or oil vapour from the hose that is between the rocker cover and inlet pipe (pre-turbo), which further adds to this hypothesis. It might also explain the stall/partial stall after in increase in revs. When the turbo is spinning faster, more oil gets into the engine, causing poor combustion and burning of the oil- this last part is pure speculation based on the factors mentioned- not from knowledge or experience.

Now that the car is running, the next time I work on it I will get the Holden mechanic to come out with the Tech2 diagnostic tool to see how things are. I am tempted to simply put on a new turbo but I need to be sure that it is a problem.

toobs
Been here a while

Re: 4JX1 total power loss- almost back from the dead

Unread post by toobs » July 8th, 2014, 3:54 pm

I've thrown in a couple extra litres of oil into the sump, and now she runs! Idles and revs well, and I took it up and down the street once warmed up. It blows some smoke constantly at idle and a lot with any load through the engine.

This leads me to suspect two possible problems- oil pickup and leaking turbo.

toobs
Been here a while

Re: 4JX1 total power loss- back from the dead- now running!

Unread post by toobs » July 14th, 2014, 9:08 pm

I removed the sump and found the oil pickup had completely snapped off its mount and was rolling around in the bottom of the sump. Replaced with a new pickup and o-ring and just waiting for the sealant to cure tonight before adding oil and test firing the truck tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Starts and runs fine. Blows a little smoke but at least its running. That's 1 x Jackaroo saved from the scrap heap.

Jackaroo Ted
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 4JX1 total power loss- back from the dead- now running!

Unread post by Jackaroo Ted » November 30th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Holden aren't the most reliable service center for 4JX1's. Its usually just one injector at fault and its most likely just a faulty solenoid which can easily be replaced if you have another working injector. Just need a LCR meter and measure the Inductance of the soelnoid - if its less than 6mH then don't bother fitting it. New Solenoids start at around 7.3mH and give 5 LOUD CLUNKS on a Tech2 click test, but as the solenoids slowly die, they give slightly softer clicks until they are almost inaudible ticks at around 5.7mH and the injectors are already running bad.
I only know what I know, so if I don't know, I'll let you know.

Return to “Jackaroo”