Buying a jackaroo - what to watch out for? running costs etc

rawrbomb101
I'm new, be nice!

Buying a jackaroo - what to watch out for? running costs etc

Unread post by rawrbomb101 » January 25th, 2012, 11:35 pm

Hey all, been saving my money and looking for my first 4x4, I've found a 2001 jackaroo, 3.0TD manual with about 140000k's on the clock, it looks pretty well looked after, but I haven't had a chance to go and check it out for myself yet, I was wondering if I could get any advice on what to watch out for, what potential running costs could be and so on. What I'm after is a reasonably cheap to buy cheap to run 4x4. Thanks for any help you could give me.

Burgo
Here and there

Re: Buying a jackaroo

Unread post by Burgo » January 26th, 2012, 8:08 pm

For a 3.0TD, you need a good complete service history, with all the recalls done regarding fuel injectors and sleeves. Check there's no diesel in the coolant, as this can indicate head problems. They have a unique oil driven fuel injection system and is hard for some mechanics to understand, and you need someone who knows what they are doing regarding the fuel injection. As for the rest of the vehicle, well built and very capable off road.

azzas15
Been here a while

Unread post by azzas15 » January 26th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Hi Rawr,

Sorry I dont know much about that model but I would imagine you would need to have a look at the front CV's make sure there not all split like mine are :)

Jackaroos are great off road. Good Luck!

Cheers
Aaron
Rember while doing donuts.. 4Low over you go!

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 26th, 2012, 9:44 pm

As Burgo said, the 3.0LTD (4JX1 Engine from memory) had some issues with injectors and sleeves etc.
Provided that's been done, i'd be happy buying one.
2001 might also be the Widetrack model if i recall correctly?
Last edited by Mungrel on January 9th, 2015, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

iananita
Here and there

Unread post by iananita » January 27th, 2012, 3:49 pm

As above, do your home work, 4JX1 motor is troublesome especially second-hand. Most problems start at 180 000km+. Getting accessories can be expensive and difficult to find, but that is sometimes the fun of owning a Jackaroo.

Burgo
Here and there

Re: Buying a jackaroo - what to watch out for? running costs

Unread post by Burgo » January 27th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Some stuff can be hard to get locally. But there is a lot of stuff off-shore, if you're keen to modify. But a little lift, good tyres and picking the good lines will get you a long way in a Jack!

Burgo
Here and there

Unread post by Burgo » January 27th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Oh, 4JX1s have two oil filters, one regular, and one for the fuel system. Make sure they both get done. Servicing is pretty regular, slightly Toyota overkill. Majors every 40,000km. Oil filters and lube shafts for most others. But I don't think you touch the timing belt until 180,000? 4JX1 owners confirm??

rawrbomb101
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rawrbomb101 » January 27th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Just double checked, it is the 4JX1 motor, and the guy has a full service record, its done 140000k's, does about $10 000 sound reasonable? or too expensive for what it is, has barely been off road, just used as a family car mainly. I plan to use this mainly for touring, so I wont need any huge mods, maybe a small lift/better tyres once I have a bit more to spend, how easy is it to find basic parts? eg, new radiator, air con compressor, in case stuff like that lets go :p

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 28th, 2012, 7:59 am

Radiator not a problem, A/C compressor shouldn't be an issue, probably be a Denso unit.
Replacement parts in general i havent found to be an issue in my year of ownership.

When in doubt,

patrol buster
Been here a while

Unread post by patrol buster » January 28th, 2012, 2:15 pm

They run 0w/30w grade oil, any thicker and you'll have problems with it starting which leads to all the other problems their known for, if it has had the right oil run in it from new you shouldn't have any problems.
The injection system is from a "cat" diesel which runs 400 psi oil pressure through the injectors to make them fire and having worked on cats diesels they can be tricky and costly when it comes to repairs but in saying that if it has been properly maintained (and holden didn't do a very good job either using the wrong oil) with the correct oil and all filters done on time it should be a great jackroo.
140,000 k's would mean it's just run in for a diesel.
They can be 50/50 when it comes to getting a good one, if it's been a trouble child for the old owner it will be for you too, but if it been a great reliable 4x4 it will continue to be so long as you keep the right oil in it and all filters done on time.
You will be told by some people that it doesn't matter if you don't put the thinner oil in it, there lying !
And like Burgo said they also had a factory recall for the injectors, make sure it was done.
$10,000 is a great price for the k's it's done, i've seen them advertised for up to $15,000 in great nick.
P.S. i'm getting rid of mine and going back to a 62 cruiser, $6000 and it's yours, 1995 3.2 V6 SE 7 seater manual, heaps of work done and accessories, pm me if ya want a heap of photos. :thumb:

rawrbomb101
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rawrbomb101 » January 28th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Thanks alot for all the help, I'm taking a look at them tomorrow, I've looked at so many 4x4's already, been pretty disappointed by most so far, so I hopefully this one is all its cracked up to be :) I'll put pics up if I get it :)
Thanks again for the advice.

rawrbomb101
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rawrbomb101 » January 28th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Just got a phone call saying its just been sold... damn shouldn't have been so cautious about buying it :p oh well time to keep looking...

rawrbomb101
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rawrbomb101 » January 29th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Well now, another update :) found a jackaroo, 209000k's turbo diesel, 2001 and its had a new cylinder head and injector seals put in, they're asking $7700, the only thing I could find wrong with it is that the heater doesnt work, which they explained was due to the heater core being bypassed, how cheap/easy is this to fix yourself?

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 30th, 2012, 7:04 am

Heater core is a bit of a pain in the arse, as its located behind the dash on the passenger side. It's even more of a pain in the arse if you have a passenger side airbag to worry about!
Then ofcourse there is the cost of a heater core which for an aftermarket unit could be a couple hundred bucks (probably no more than $250ish) - Don't buy a secondhand one. For the time it takes to do the job - ya don't wanna run the risk of it failing prematurely!

EDIT
Just checked ebay usa, they list heater cores for that model quite cheaply.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

When in doubt,

Burgo
Here and there

Unread post by Burgo » January 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Not too bad for the money, head job was probably 3-5k. I think buying a fixed 4JX1 can be to your advantage. The owner has just plumped the big bucks for the repairs that are generally inevitable 4JX1 repairs. You should be able to get another 200,000 out it now. The pricey bits are usually related to the 4JX1 motor, coz you usually have to go genuine. General Jackaroo stuff not so bad. New parts prices are on par with Toyota(can be exxy), but plenty of second hand stuff to go around too.

If you're handy with a socket set and screwdrivers, mark everything and take pics as you go, you'll be able to get a the dash out to access the Heater box and get her back together.

If you're stuck trying to find a good 4JX1, the 3.5 petrol is worth a look. And sometimes cheaper to maintain than the 3.0TD.

Return to “Jackaroo”