External oil leak around turbo, 3.0TD

toobs
Been here a while

External oil leak around turbo, 3.0TD

Unread post by toobs » October 7th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Hi all

I am getting a significant oil leak around the turbo. It seems to spread around the compressor housing and intercooler pipe. I clean it off every now and again but it returns after a few months.
Has anyone else had this problem and know what the cause is? I'm pointing a finger at worn turbo oil seals...

arty1969
I'm new, be nice!

Re: External oil leak around turbo, 3.0TD

Unread post by arty1969 » November 3rd, 2015, 9:57 pm

its time to replace or rebuild your turbo mate sorry to say I would say your getting longer turbo lag then you use to and then kicks in with a cloud of black smoke. mine does and there is oil around it , in it and up the intercooler pipe , I am replacing mine.

toobs
Been here a while

Unread post by toobs » November 16th, 2015, 11:44 am

Sounds like an external leak. Remove and clean the intercooler. Have a look around the rocker cover and if you see a long bolt sticking out the top, under where the intercooler sits, that will most likely your problem. Cut it down with a hack saw and check the cooler for hole caused by the bolt rubbing on it. I used some quick steel putty to seal it up. Not a permanent fix for the hole but cheap at least.

Jackaroo Ted
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jackaroo Ted » November 30th, 2015, 2:08 pm

If you take off the air intake pipe and feel how much slop/play is in the turbo shaft by trying to wobble the intake compressor wheel, you should be able to feel if its loose or still tight. If its floppy or loose, then the turbo is near its use by date and you should look for a suitable replacement ASAP. You will probably alos here more whirring or whistling noise as the turbo sleeve bearing is wearing away, so the turbo whistle is more prominent.

If the compressor wheel feels tight, then its probably just blow-by oil which accumulates because there is no factory fitted catch can on these engines, so the blow by gases carry oil through the intake pipe to the turbo, through the intercooler and into the intake manifold - coating everything with oil, and reducing the efficiency of the intake system.

So a catch can is the best solution, which is to be fitted between the blowby output from the side of the rocker cover near the high pressure oil pipe, and between the return to the air intake pipe. One can buy a reasonable catch can for about $50 off fleabay, or make your own from a milo can - just need 3/4" input and output barbs fitted into the lid and fill the can with stainless steel pot scrubbers (curly ones). The intake should be extended downg down to near the bottom of the can by using a bit of 3/4" rubber pipe/hose, and the output from the top near the lid back to the intake using more 3/4" pipe/hose.

Just check your catch can every few months and empty as required:)
I only know what I know, so if I don't know, I'll let you know.

Return to “Jackaroo”