RA VRV, EGR Valves + MAF sensor

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Re: Where do I fit an EGR blanking plate??

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » November 14th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Job done, for those who are interested, pg 9 in my build thread
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 14th, 2013, 7:36 pm

STEELJOCKEY
Does the plate have any holes in it?ris it completely blanked off.
My 2011 doesn't like fully blocked and I had to increase the hole size from 10mm to 13mm to stop Limp home triggering when used around town on a very rainy stormy day when the atmospheric pressure was low, ie, even less EGR flowed in and the ECU saw no enough EGR flow and it just did the "go slow" until I altered it and cleared the codes.

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » November 15th, 2013, 9:00 am

It's got holes in the middle, fair sized holes not completely blocked off. From my short drive yesterday, it looks like the EGR valve is trying to compensate by being open a greater % than before when cruising. It also looks like I'm getting up to an extra psi of boost. I'll see what happens over the next while.

What gains did you get, economy, etc?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 15th, 2013, 9:52 am

Much the same economy, a little better but hard to measure because I also added a 3" exhaust back to the muffler at the same time. More low down acceleration though.
Do you have something to tell you when/how far the EGR is open while driving?

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » November 15th, 2013, 12:39 pm

I'm using Logworks on the iPhone with their wifi OBD reader, allows me to see a variety of things and record logs. Same as an OBDII scanner, bit more graphical and user friendly.

Already have 3" dump pipe back system which gave loads more low down usable torque, and reduced fuel by around half a litre per 100km, changed my driving style to take advantage of the new low down torque and improved another 1/4-1/2 litre per 100km. Last tank I was actually down to 7.9l/100. Considering I used to run 9's I'm happy so far. Be interesting to see what the new mod does.

Test drove a dual cab RA7 on the weekend for a friend considering buying it, standard pipes, interesting to compare power by seat of the pants, I can definitely vouch the 3" pipe makes a big improvement. Mine certainly has more torque from 1000-1700 rpm, much smoother too. The stock standard one was a bit dead under 1500rpm. Confirms I did the right thing, money well spent.

joebejeckel
Getting to know the place

Re: RA VRV, EGR Valves + MAF sensor

Unread post by joebejeckel » December 6th, 2013, 12:55 pm

took my egr off gave it a clean as best i could, running better, could it just be buildup of hard crap (carbon?) thats causing these things to stick open ?

Lackuwaxa
Been here a while

EGR Blanking plate -- RA

Unread post by Lackuwaxa » February 22nd, 2014, 2:32 pm

Hi guys,

I know this has been covered elsewhere but I cannot seem to find it for the RA, steel jockey has it for the RA7, anyway.

I have just plugged up my EGR with a piece of 0.5mm ally plate, i plugged over the pipe at the back of the EGR. is this the correct one or should I plug the base one? I looked at it and suspect that in reality it shouldnt make a difference, but just wanna make sure it is right. I took it for a burl and no CEL so thats a good thing i guess, but also no noticeable difference.

I also replaced the 4 glow plugs, BTW didnt Isuzu make that an easy job :rolleyes: .. number 3 was covered in a liquid film .. either oil or diesel its kinda hard to tell, I tested all 4 and they all seemed to be r****d which seems odd, but anyway will see when the next cold morning is here ..

cheers

Wade

cotts
Here and there

Unread post by cotts » February 22nd, 2014, 8:45 pm

Gday wade
Not sure if it's correct or necessary I blocked mine at the exhaust and at the base of the egr, I figured that way I was sure to isolate that whole pipe, I noticed torque increase at idle and a bit quicker responsiveness I reckon a slight improvement in economy (.1 -. 2)
I also did plugs about 6 mth ago (yep lots of fun......) had same sort of liquidy type residue on 2 and 3 and yep all four old ones were cactus

Cheers
Cotts

AWD
Been here a while

Re: EGR Blanking plate fitted

Unread post by AWD » March 3rd, 2014, 9:22 am

I recently fitted my egr plate. At the same time i cleaned the intercooler & throttle body with petrol & fitted an oil catch can.

Definately feels better. A lot more grunt in 1st gear & can take off pretty quick in 2nd too :-)

Hypnol
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Hypnol » September 9th, 2014, 12:24 pm

I'm lost...... I've got a 2003 holden rodeo 3 liter turbo diesel
I've got all the symptoms but no solutions, yet
I have replaced the maf sensor and the vrv valve
I've "modified" the cat converter (straight through)
Disconnected the exaust , found and fixed a kinked fuel line
Have had the egr valve blanked off
It's been to a diesel mechanic and he said it needs injectors but
I'm not sure that will fix my problem. Any help would be awesome
Cheers

Saf_2
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Saf_2 » October 12th, 2015, 8:57 pm

late to this convo but am having same problems with my '04 RA rodoeo. have ordered a new EVRV and EGR from Partsden on ebay $424 total with postage (holden wanted $480 for EVRV alone). should be here in 3 days, will post results after fitting

worth noting i did a clean on old EGR today and cleaned up the filter in the EVRV and noticed some small improvement, so am confident when all new parts are fitted

Kodi66
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Kodi66 » January 3rd, 2016, 6:08 pm

Hey fellow 4wd enthusiasts. I have suffered all the problems you guys are. After doing lots of research and reading I found that the problem I had was all to do with a blocked CAT converter. I did an upgrade to the exhaust and I got an instant performance improvement in every way. I can here the turbo spooling and dumping pressure again through the snorkel again. Its also made a massive difference to fuel consumption to. It also stopped the engine management light from coming on. I think the pressures caused by a blocked CAT have had adverse effects on my EGR valve so my point of elimination will be to clean or replace said valve. I took my 4by for a good test run this weekend and it performed well. Its almost back to normal and strangely enough its improving the more I drive it. I'm new to this forum so would like to apologize if I sound naïve. I would like to thank you all for your informed comment as it has been a wealth of knowledge for me. Hope this helps.

Return to “Rodeo”