RA VRV, EGR Valves + MAF sensor

azzad
Avid Poster

Re: RA VRV, EGR Valves + MAF sensor

Unread post by azzad » December 15th, 2010, 7:56 am

jackedRA, is the vrv you have at the moment the old 2 pipe style or does it have 3 pipes with 1 that goes to the air intake after the filter?

Dazza

fugwurgin
Here and there

Unread post by fugwurgin » December 15th, 2010, 8:59 am

Hi jackedRA

a $1600 ecu was a pretty big fork out of cash because a mechanic was too lazy\incompetent. I hope you gave him a serve.
when you put the new ecu in (even though it wasnt coded) why didnt it pick up the faulty VRV\EGR and put it in limp mode? Because the fault is tripped in the sensors i would have thought the error would still be picked up?

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » December 15th, 2010, 9:34 am

plainsrodeo

Curious how your truck is set up, ie mud tyres, oversized?

If still running standard tyres, get some good fuel, find a big hill and flog it up in a high gear to load it up and help clean out the system. Everytime my fuel consumption goes a bit south I find this helps to clean out the soot etc.

Mud tyres, oversized tyres will make a big impact, usually around 20%. I found running 245/75-16 cooper stt's had me running in the high 10's/100km. Standard road tyres around 8.8-9.2/100km.
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

jackedRA
Here and there

Unread post by jackedRA » December 15th, 2010, 4:28 pm

mechanic coped a serve, eagers let me return the ecu though so wasnt to concerned. i only plugged the ecu in never drove it, engine light kept flashing so i knew something was wrong so i took it back out.

the vrv i currently have is the new one with 3 ports on it but it has been pulled apart so it is well and truely rs now i would imagine. getting a new one friday along with new egr( old one is a bit sticky and rusted out ) should all be sweet then.

plainsrodeo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by plainsrodeo » December 21st, 2010, 9:57 am

Curious how your truck is set up, ie mud tyres, oversized?

If still running standard tyres, get some good fuel, find a big hill and flog it up in a high gear to load it up and help clean out the system. Everytime my fuel consumption goes a bit south I find this helps to clean out the soot etc.

Mud tyres, oversized tyres will make a big impact, usually around 20%. I found running 245/75-16 cooper stt's had me running in the high 10's/100km. Standard road tyres around 8.8-9.2/100km.[/quote]

im still running the bridgestones 245/70/r16 ats at the moment. thanks

geocacher
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by geocacher » June 25th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I'm desperate. I'll also start a new thread if this one doesn't get a response. Not sure how the old thread/new thread thing works here.

I'm supposed to be leaving Friday with my wife & kids, and Mum & Dad for the Kimberleys from Vic. Mum & Dad's RA '03 Turbo Diesel Rodeo is giving us no end of grief.

Started a few weeks ago when ARB put a new long range tank in it. 40km from ARB & the things missing & spluttering. Straight to Dad's mechanic as closer to there than ARB.

They started at the tank & worked forward. The tank seemed like the logical starting point.

A couple of days later having tried everything - even running diesel bypassing all the fuel line from rear and still misbehaving.

Dad's bloke pulled the injector pump off (?injectors too) & sent to diesel bloke in Wagga who put the thing on his test bench & said the injector pump was terminal.

He sent a new/rebuild pump (not sure) and told Dad's bloke to check the ?scissor? gear too. Gear apparently not healthy. ? caused pump problem in first place. New gear ordered.

With new pump & gear Rodeo driven over Hotham from NE Vic & down to Gippsland without problem. Seems to be all good.

Picked up off road camper they are borrowing for trip & within 40-50km engine light came on. Back to Big Garage Holden in Bairnsdale who said 4 codes in computer - a couple of central locking, injector timing & low EGR flow code. Codes assumed not to have been reset since new injector pump.

Codes reset.

Drive home. 10km & engine light on & flat out in 4th 80kmh towing Tvan. Light came on a couple more times on way home & down went power.

Back to Holden. P0400 code. Low EGR flow.

Start research & find this & other threads.

Today tried pulling filter out of VRV/VSV & replacing with an alternative membrane. Old filter clagged with dust & has a hole in it like someone's put their finger nail into it.

Cleaned guts of solenoid as best I could with Nulon Throttle Body cleaner.

Put back together & ordered new parts as per earlier post hoping to have solved problem in interim.

This afternoon Dad got 10km before light on & back to 80kmh. By Traralgon power loss is worse & vehicle spluttering & missing. By Moe vehicle undriveable in 2nd gear. Mum & Dad now in motel.

I'm going down tomorrow to get the Rodeo & bring it back & mate will tow camper.

Where do we start???

With the amount of crap that has got past the filter in VRV/VSV in past few years is it still likely that misfunction of solenoid is to blame? Or are we back at square one with the new tank? Then theres the new injector pump. My head's spinning.

Help guys. Please?

Dave

Any help appreciated.

dgb1000
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by dgb1000 » September 13th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Hi guys
have a 04 ra deisel and also have had my fair share of dramas, have a 3inch mandril bent exhaust,dp chip snorkel and K&N filter fitted with all making there own improvement, Have just had fitted a new engine imobilizer beacuse i was sick of trying to start the bloody thing but now i have an intermitent shut down of the engine while driving by that i mean it ( the engine) just seems to shut down as though you are turning it off and then back on again it happens very quickly and is a bit off putting but happens quite regular and was wondering if any of you guys knew what the problem could be, I have the 3 port vrv as well any help would be great

Cheers Dave

Chris52
Here and there

Unread post by Chris52 » September 23rd, 2011, 8:06 pm

My RA7 CRD has recently had a noticable change in fuel economy over the last 3 - 4 tankfulls as in getting 50 to 70 kms less per tank than it usually gets. Normally and consistently she uses 52 litres and gets 520 to 530 kms combined city/highway and driven, not babied so economy of 10 litres per 100 kms. Have been told it could be bad fuel, but changed station and no change. So I thought I'd pull a few pipes off etc. and have a gander,....well! to my surprise after removing the plasic intake tract from the intercooler to the throttle body, I find that the throttle butterfly and intake manifold absoloutely caked with oily soot :eek: (the consistency of vegimite). The stuff would have to have been 6 - 8mm thick on one side only of the butterfly valve and also through the intake manifold. I managed to get at least half a cup of oilydieselmite using and old long handle teaspoon, paddle pop sticks and a heap of rags. I would estimate that the diameter of the intake tract after the throttle butterfly would have been reduced by about 20% not to mention the amount of crap on the throttle blades. Has anyone here have a soloution? I'm thinking these things need a major cleanout every 50,000kms to maintain decent power and economy. My RA7 has 94,000 kms on it, serviced regularly with 5K oil changes.

Cheers
Chris.

YBE-10W
Avid Poster

Unread post by YBE-10W » September 23rd, 2011, 10:11 pm

you imagine what the rest of the intake manifold is beneath the butterfly.... thats why i done the egr block cause mine was filth aswell

huffy1
Getting to know the place

Unread post by huffy1 » May 26th, 2012, 6:54 pm

I have just taken the intake manifold off my RA CRD after looking down the throttle body and seeing black oily goo caking everything. I have 202k on mine now and was starting to notice a drop in power and fuel economy over the last few months so decided to do a bit of investigation starting at the turbo. The intercooler has a fine oil spray/ mist throughout but nothing to be concerned about given the km its done. I then checked the throttle body when I found the goo. The intake manifold is absolutely covered inside with 3-7mm of black goo and that follows through into the head. Looks like I have a busy day cleaning this goo off tomorrow!!!! One interesting note is the EGR passages only have a fine layer of soot nowhere near as much as inside the manifold itself. I tried to take some pictures tonight but the camera chucked a wobbly and needed charging. Will take some tomorrow morning and see if I can post them up. Where has this black goo come from as it seems that the EGR valve has its own separate passage and only gets mixed in to the intake air inside the head? I have changed the oil every 10k religiously and 90% of the km the ute has done has been highway speeds. The motor is not using any oil so I am a bit baffled as to where the goo has come from.
RA07 CRD ARB Bbar, Canopy and compressor, EFS 40mm lift, freewheeling hubs,Lightforce XGT, chipped and churning.

tez350

Unread post by tez350 » May 27th, 2012, 8:48 pm

ive had a quick look at mine, and its the same. egr was fine soot, but intake looks caked like crazy. think will be worthwhile cleaning it all as i will next week too

huffy1

Unread post by huffy1 » May 27th, 2012, 9:12 pm

What a filthy bugger of a job. Managed to get the intake pretty clean with the gerni and hooked up my industrial vac to a bit if 12mm poly pipe and vacced out the head. Did the valve adjustment as well since that hadn't been done in god knows how long and only had 4 that needed adjustment. Knocked up an EGR blanking plate with 12mm holes and put that on as well. Put her all back together and fired up ok but no power - straight to limp mode. Took out the plate and stuck the old gasket back but same problem. Bugger!!!! The codes show an EGR fault and I suspect this is whats been making it cough at low revs when trying to accelerate. The valve slipped out of my hand and dropped to the concrete garage floor so not 100% sure if it was on the way out but I suspect it was. I cleaned it out and the valve itself is working but the electriccery part may be stuffed. Well looks like off to Holden tomorrow for a new EGR valve and most probably a substantial lightening of the wallet. Just on a side note I was very surpriused that when I removed the rocker cover everything looks brand new inside - no gunk or sludge at all. Might be another 200K in the old girl yet.
RA07 CRD ARB Bbar, Canopy and compressor, EFS 40mm lift, freewheeling hubs,Lightforce XGT, chipped and churning.

nickonaldo
Here and there

Unread post by nickonaldo » May 30th, 2012, 8:53 am

Have got an 04 space cab that has given me EGR grief throwing up codes and going into limp mode.
Replaced the evrv solinoid that drives the egr with the new beaut $300 3 hose job from Holden.
Fixed the code problem but still felt down on power.
Was lucky my mechanic was working on another Rodeo and was able to interchange some parts as a trial and error.
Nothing wrong with MAF sensor or egr but did clean Maf sensor.
Mechanic ended up Disabling EGR with a ball bearing so it all looks hooked up but EGR is jammed shut.
The imrovement this has made is beyond belief.
Not sure if it comes from the cleaned Maf Sensor or blocked off EGR but this old diesel with 190 000 klms on her revs harder and stronger than she ever has.
Not stuck just not moving!

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

EGR Blanking plate fitted

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » November 14th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Where do I fit it?

I know it's somewhere here in the forums, but searching has helped me so far. I'm sure someone has fitted one and can assist in its placement, what I have to pull off or out of the way to get to the place in question. Photos would help.

I have an RA7 with the 4jj1 engine
Last edited by STEELJOCKEY on November 27th, 2013, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Re: Where do I fit an EGR blanking plate??

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » November 14th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Don't panic everyone, I think I've worked it out.

EGR valve is on the opposite side to the exhaust. Bit more searching (google was more helpful to point me in the right direction on this forum) leads me to the EGR valve just behind and below the inlet manifold. Looking through my full mechanical manual shows me the area beautifully, and the shape of the plate now matches the gasket for the EGR valve assembly, not the cooler on the exhaust side.

Off to work I go, pics to follow in my build thread

Return to “Rodeo”