RA VRV, EGR Valves + MAF sensor

emosh99
Here and there

Re: RA VRV, EGR Valves + MAF sensor

Unread post by emosh99 » September 23rd, 2010, 6:18 pm

I have blocked off the EGR valve in most of the turbo cars I have owned, no issues with blown turbos at all...

What type of air filter do people use? I have a safari snorkle with a dirty old filter... are the k&n ones any good for a fourbie?

how much boost will the turbo/motor hold before she gets unhappy?

azzad
Avid Poster

Unread post by azzad » October 6th, 2010, 5:26 pm

bangbs wrote:My two cents worth (I have tried & tested).
You are able to blank off the EGR ports on both intake & exhaust however you must still have the vacuum line connected from the VRV to the EGR valve as the ECU will sense a no boost fault via the VRV. The EGR valve can be relocated by the brake master cylinder locating hole using an extended length bolt & it only needs to be held by one bolt in place of the EGR (be sure to spray the diaphram stem with CRC & make sure it works when connected to the VRV). My Exhaust temperatures bearly increased in temperature (definately had more lower end torque after being removed from factory recirculation). I fitted a big bore system 2.5" (this also helps reduction in exhaust temperatures) which is in my view essential on these models I checked my cat converter & found ceramic bits cracked inside this would show why it was slow off the mark & why boost was maxing out on part throttle & took forever to get moving. I Replaced the cat with a cast turbo dump pipe from the TF model (same 4JH1TC engine & direct bolt on but shorter by an about an inch to the cat). Performance was so much better. I fitted a dtronic chip & snorkel later on then dyno tuned & was happy with the performance.
The 3x outlet pipes VRV on some 06+ Ra Rodeos are the pick due to continuous air venting via the airbox intake tract however Holden will sting you a packet & I have never had a engine light fault since fitted. A way around the check light no boost problem is to vent the air inline from the vsv to the egr so fitting an air solenoid (LN130 2LT hilux surf air solinoid to front diff selection) inline via the egr will correct but not fix the actual problem as I said earlier 3x pipe VRV is the fix.
As said in other posts use factory fuel filters & not paper filter as these pumps are prone to blockage which can seriously hurt your wallet.
Can you post a couple of photos of what you have done, how the ports are blocked, the relocation of the egr and the TF dump pipe?

Thanks
Dazza

RodeoNT
Here and there

Unread post by RodeoNT » October 14th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Cleaned the MAF senser with electronic cleaner drove up the road sitting on 8 litres per hundred kms at 100kms an hr avg 9 litres per hundred kms ( I have scan gauge fitted gives me all teh read outs)...... maxed it out to 160km an hour and thats at 36 degree outside temp. It was doing 16 litres per hundred before i cleaned it and 140kms top with power down.

A little hint on the vrv valves Holden know theres a problem with them and it will cover them yo have to push for it though theres a new monifold that goes into a pre April 05 model and complete redisigned valvle body retails for about $500 so worth the effort. Was just about to trade the ute in on a 4.2 Litre turbo cruiser ute but will now wait and see if she can keep these figures up. No mechanic has been able to find the fault with mine for years. My feeling is the MAF senser gets a bit of dust on it then it doesn't work right increasing fuel consuption and loss of power....

RodeoNT
Here and there

Unread post by RodeoNT » October 15th, 2010, 10:43 am

Ok fuel back up to 16 litres at 100km an hour going to pull air intake apart clean it replacing holden filter with a k & n filter and putting a filter sock into my snorkel dust is getting through and getting on the MAF sensor a tiny bit on it throws it out.... Bit of a weak point in a 4X4 if you ask me im in the dust all the time... Soon as i take it out and clean it and give a light blow with the compressor its back to 8 llitres at 100kms... Frustrating...!!!

azzad
Avid Poster

Unread post by azzad » October 15th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Dodgy sensor?

Snorkel or intake not sealed properly?

Dazza

RodeoNT
Here and there

Unread post by RodeoNT » October 15th, 2010, 1:26 pm

intakes are sealed I have checked them its the second sensor thats been put on it while I have had it cleaned the whole intake after the filter and sensor again. Just took it for a run back down to 8 litres per hundred.....

emosh99
Here and there

Unread post by emosh99 » October 17th, 2010, 11:20 am

ok so i bought some crc 'maf cleaner'.. took off my airbox and noticed a little mud in there, looks like theres a small leak. i think after i get a k&n ill seal it properly with some plumbers tape or something.

anyway after spraying the air flow meter the car revs HEAPS smoother, its definitely restored power back, but as for fuel consumption i cant comment as i have only driven 40kms.. ill keep you posted..

ps whats his module that shows u fuel consumption and error codes? For $200 that isnt bad at all..

The Seth
Here and there

Unread post by The Seth » October 19th, 2010, 5:42 am

This was what your after, i will eventually get my hands on one ;)

http://www.scangauge.com.au/

emosh99
Here and there

Unread post by emosh99 » October 24th, 2010, 8:30 pm

great! thanks for that... might order one

http://www.scangauge.com.au/support/Com ... cles.shtml

azzad
Avid Poster

Unread post by azzad » November 14th, 2010, 7:18 am

bangbs wrote:My two cents worth (I have tried & tested).
You are able to blank off the EGR ports on both intake & exhaust however you must still have the vacuum line connected from the VRV to the EGR valve as the ECU will sense a no boost fault via the VRV.
Can anyone elaborate on how the ECU can sense that the vacuum line is blocked off?

I have had mine blocked at the EGR for a couple of weeks, I towed my camper and bikes last weekend on a 400 km round trip with no dramas, went for a 200 km round trip yesterday unloaded and the engine light started coming on, so on the way home I unblocked the vacuum line and all good again?

I cant see how on the pre common rail 3.0 the ECU could know that it was blocked off?

Scan gauge didn't pick up any codes either.

Dazza

RodeoNT
Here and there

Unread post by RodeoNT » November 17th, 2010, 6:58 pm

I have bitten the bullet still having problems with sluggish engine again... I have bought the last of 2006 LandCruiser straight 6 no turbo keeping it simple. I have pretty good idea that we are going to get alot more problems with these new 4x4 and the systems they use, ok in the city but in real conditions up north they can't handle it....

The Seth
Here and there

Unread post by The Seth » November 18th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Oh i wouldn't be so quick to call that there RodeoNT, my rodeo has been living in katherine now for 5 months and its been as happy as a pig in the mud.

Sure the engines on these girls where never really made with speed in mind but im in no hurry when im out for a big drive, and with the fuel useage im laughing everytime i go refuel i get 60ltrs for 700k's without breaking a sweat. Can't complain with that ;)

emosh99
Here and there

Unread post by emosh99 » November 18th, 2010, 8:04 pm

60 ltrs? are you running down past the fuel light? We have a large reserve right? Total 70 ltrs?

from full to empty mine is about 44ltrs and i get only 430 out of a tank... turbo diesel

doing 110kms to buchan, with a bit of over taking i only got 370 out of the 45 ltrs..

The Seth
Here and there

Unread post by The Seth » November 19th, 2010, 12:30 pm

The tank has a 70ltr capacity but the way my fueling nozzle is placed it doesnt really let me get much more then 64ltrs in (with a lot of tray shaking and trickling the fuel in). Not to mention i have a super cab and an al tray so she doesn't weigh was much as others, plus im pretty gentle on the throttle as i plan to get 20years out of this car.

And thoes numbers sound pretty crappy, im at half a tank atm with 327k's on it since refuel. You running larger tyres/lots of accessoires?

dkbikes
Here and there

Unread post by dkbikes » November 28th, 2010, 9:56 pm

k so it it possible to clean the vrv valve? or is that sopmehting that woud need replacing? just got my car wet for the first time the other week and had lots of loss in power/> do i start with cleaning the egr and maf? how do u clean the egr?
Thanks
snorkel,k&n,Arb Compressor,265/75 bighorns,2" Suspension, 2" body, 3" exhaust,boost controller,RooChip,Heaps of LED's,xrox bar,Lightforce 140&240's,
Winch
037OUR

Return to “Rodeo”