Show us your Rodeo

cotts
Here and there

Re: Show us your Rodeo

Unread post by cotts » December 13th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Gday dixrodeo
My ute is a 2003 ra same model as yours mate, that if is yours is the 3.0tdi?
Mainlander

ravenhard
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ravenhard » January 8th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Hi Guys,
Just joined and want to show you me newly acquired 2006 Rodeo LT V6 manual. I justed got her from an auction place at Newcastle the other day. Came with a heap of mods which is what attracted me to it. That and its fairly lows k's with all the service history reciepts, plus I was able to have a chat with the previous owner
Mods that came with it:
-tough dog shocks all round
-extra leaf in rear
-129L long range fuel tank(Which I reckon Im gonna need if the last few days fuel economy is anything to go by)
-ARB bull bar
-Tow bar
-Canopy
-New 265/70/16 BFG AT(3 of them) on stock alloys. Ordered a 4th already

as she stands
15mins after I got her, found the closest beach

mods planned:
-spotties
-better internal lights(currently the rear interior canopy lights are wired into the parkers and therefore only work with the headlight on(lazy auto sparky me guess)
-DIY rear draw system with fridge slide
-dual batteries

Question,
-can you attach a D shackle to the holes on the bottom of the bullbar? are they rated for snatch recoveries?
-anybody found a free source for a workshop manual?
- its a fairly uncomfortable ride, planning on lowering the front a little to gain some comfort. Opinions?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 8th, 2014, 3:48 pm

raven hard
Nice clean vehicle.
What pressure is in the tyres, it will have a big bearing on the ride if too much pressure. Stock shocks are rubbish and don't work well at all. Harsh multiple rebounds on the front especially.

I would make the air intake as free flowing as possible into the inner guard chamber so it doesn't feed off any warm air from engine bay.
Also, check the engine valve clearances to ensure each valve has the correct clearance, If hydraulic lifters then not applicable.
Make sure air cleaner is free flowing and Air intake sensor, MAF sensor is clean so it can read the air amount properly.
Have ignition timing checked, if slightly out = more fuel in.
Ensure there are no airleaks ( splits/cracks)in engine hoses to cause the ECU to overfuel and run rich.
Have the oxy sensor checked if working correctly if contaminated the ECU won't give the best economy.

If you fit Free Wheel Hubs, then the whole front axle stuff CV's boots and diff internals don't run all the time and so may save a little fuel too. Lengthens the life of the CV's and boots as they are then not continually running for no reason.

If these things are done then you know the economy you get is correct and is therefore normal, yes they use a bit, but if you can make everything correct it will be better.

ravenhard
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ravenhard » January 8th, 2014, 5:53 pm

the ute came with 40psi pressure so I have just kept it at that.

They aren't stock shocks anymore, got tough dog foam cells all round

The ute also came with KN filter and I will get onto checking the sensors at the next service

You have just remained me of another mod I want to do, front lokka with FWH. Any suggestions of where I can get the hubs from and who can install them.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 8th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Just for normal use 40 is way too hard. Possibly 35 might be the maximum for general use.
I haven't got a Bullbar on yet but tyres are not any more than 35psi. Some people run a few psi less than that.

K&N filter is OK for around town I suppose but if going into any dusty areas the OE or a Unifilter is far better for filtering air and keeping the dirt out.

Don't know where you are, but Don Kyatt in Melbourne and repco, have/can get, AVM 420 17 spline FWH. Pretty easy to fit. Need some grease and allen keys and socket set and circlip pliers to remove/replace the circlip on the CV shaft in the hubs.
Older Jackaroo and some Rodeo vehicles also have them, they fit and are usually AISIN brand, bit better than AVM.
Wreckers are a good source of the AISIN FWH, got mine there. $80 pr. AVM are around $240 new.

Cheers
mydmax

ravenhard
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ravenhard » January 9th, 2014, 9:38 am

just a hunt online and found superwinch isuzu hubs for $180 delivered from US or I could go to the local pick n payless wreckers, there website says they have a few TF and jackaroo's there. Dont know the price tho.

cotts
Here and there

Unread post by cotts » January 10th, 2014, 6:33 pm

gday ravenhard,
the ute looks great mate, sounds like its fairly well setup as well.
mate the petrol (like most models) will be thirsty.
I put a set of tf hubs on mine got them for $100 they probably dropped my fuel by .2 somewhere thereabouts though it may be more noticeable in the petrol, also lighter on steering I think.
I only ever run 34psi on the road 40 sounds to high, also winding the torsion bars all the way up makes the ride a little harsher as well, just my thoughts though.
cheers and happy days with the new rodeo

Donz
Here and there

Unread post by Donz » February 18th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Here are some pics of my Rodeo so far :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rodeorollin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rodeorollin » February 24th, 2014, 9:05 pm

the truck out on a couple runs up the beach and in the hills. no scrubbing on the 33's either, new heavy duty torsion bars got the front end up a bit.
iv got a universal intercooler coming this week (300x400) looking forward to that :)

sambo88
Been here a while

Unread post by sambo88 » February 25th, 2014, 7:02 pm

no action pics unfortunately, but just a few of my new tyres I got for her, 31's fitted along with my new leaf springs. Still fairly standard looking but its get me where I want to be a bit easier now! oh and my simple ladder rack for the back to hold the kayaks and fishing rods! :truck:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sambo88
Been here a while

Unread post by sambo88 » February 25th, 2014, 7:04 pm

rodeorollin

fancy doing a build up on the universal intercooler installation mate?

rodeorollin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rodeorollin » February 25th, 2014, 8:43 pm

yea mate ill try get onto it pretty soon, im workin away from home the rest of this week so I may not get to it until next week some time.

rodeomike
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rodeomike » March 16th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Hi all, bought this old girl five years ago for camping trips with the family. Spent a bit on it fixing things up mechanically, and also added a few external mods.
Things I've done so far include:
- Bullbar
- Towbar off a 2002 rodeo
- long ranger 112l fuel tank
- polyair airbags
- 31x 10.5 tyres on 8 inch sunraysias
- efs shocks
- roofrack
- 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust
- intercooler and scoop off a 2002 3l rodeo
- rebuilt injector pump and new injectors
- new head gasket and glow plugs
- front and rear crank seals
- new water pump
- recored radiator
- new clutch
- bench seat from a 2001 single cab. Ute is registered 6 seater ( 4 kids!)
- lightforce spotties
- uniden uhf ( need a new aerial)
- 70 kw at the wheels, pulls our jayco eagle with ease!
- 9 l/100km round town, 13l/100 on the highway pulling the jayco.
Have done most of the work myself, but overall not happy with the amount of things that have gone wrong.

sambo88
Been here a while

Unread post by sambo88 » March 22nd, 2014, 11:08 am

small update (and also a question, but I'll get to that), the other weekend I popped down to one of those 4wdsupacentre's to have a squiz around as one is only 5 minutes down the road.

Ended up walking out with a roo systems awning, the quality of it I'm really quite happy with. I've seen a few people say they are bit of rubbish for the price but I'm impressed. very sturdy, not to bag out the tigerz gear but their awning was fairly average compared to these roo's one. - Anyway 6 beers later and a bit of dicking around it was installed and out on my driveway.. Which I then started to consume about another 6 beers sitting under it admiring myself's capabilities to put a new nuts and bolts together (not to mention it was quite nice sitting under the awning looking at my tyres and dual battery - even more self admiring happened then :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Anyway, the question I have for anyone, I've bolted this bugger on my ute headboard and ute ladder rack, but there isn't any support in the middle of it. I've driven around town and on the highway doing 110km for about 20km (only jumped on to go to the next exit). It didn't move around at all, going over bumps its seems to flex a bit but that could be the whole tray flexing as its separate to the cab and alloy.

For me, it seems safe and sturdy, I've put another bolt through the frame and onto the brackets so its not just the track secured to the bracket but the whole thing (if that makes sense). I'm not concerned about it braking on me as I don't care. My main concern would it be braking and cause harm to someone else.

I've thought about welding up just another straight rod that bolts from the bottom of the tray up into the middle of the awning to provide more support, but would prefer not to if I don't have to.

Anyway, whats everyones thoughts? Do you agree with me that it is sturdy enough to support it self (mind you on a roof rack it would only be mounted at two points - maybe just not so far apart) or would you invest in 20 bucks of steel and weld up a centre bracket?

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » March 24th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Hey mate,

I think you're only supposed to have a max of 1m from a load bearing point. However I doubt you'll have any issues.

I had a Roo awning just like yours, then I let it go over the roof (yes, peg the darn thing down). I ordered a Tigerz11 one this time in case the were the same and THEY ARE NOT. Wish I'd spent the extra 20 bucks.

Return to “Rodeo”