View topic - RA Rodeo electric 4x4 system probs

RA Rodeo electric 4x4 system probs

Here and there

RA Rodeo electric 4x4 system probs

Hey guys, I'm having issues with the electric push button 4x4 system in my 03 Ra Rodeo (3.0D). My Battery packed it in yesterday and i managed to push start it after several unsuccessful jump start attempts. I fitted a new battery today and all is working sweet except for the 4wd engaging system. The "check 4wd" light on the dash stays on and i am unable to engage 4h, 4l or even neutral on the buttons on the dash. the ute drives fine in 2h but everything else is out of action. I'm hoping it is just an electrical thing that i can easily fix (ie a loose cable etc). Has anyone had this sort of probem before? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Moritz:truck:

Unread postby moritz » April 27th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Been here a while

Here's how to reset it:
1. Ignition off, hold all 3 buttons (2H, 4H & 4L) in simultaneously
2. Switch ignition on to 'reds' position (last position before starting)
3. Hold in this state for 30 seconds
credit to 'nicl' Aust4wd member

Hope this helps ya.

Unread postby westernstar » April 28th, 2008, 12:29 am

Here and there

thanks for the reply mate, unfortunately no luck, it makes the green 4wd light flash after you let go but the red 'check 4wd' light stays on and nothing works. thanks a heap though... i'll have to keep trying.

Unread postby moritz » April 28th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Here and there

i tried my cruise control for the first time after my battery issues the other day. it doesnt work either so i'm very strongly leanng towards electrical issues. i had a jiggle of the cables at the transfer case and a spray with crc cause i could hear a high pitched humming noise coming from down there... no deal though. might have to pay a visit to the local rip off centre aka holden dealership.

Unread postby moritz » May 5th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Here and there

According to someone going under the alias of Byronnatives on the Aust4WD forum this method works:

With the vehicle in neutral hold the 4H and 4L buttons in for 30-40 secs and it should reset.

Although, seeing as though the cruise control is out of action something dodgy must be happening in the computer.

Let us know how you go (went?) with Holden.

Unread postby S.W » May 12th, 2008, 9:49 pm

Here and there

yeah i'll give it a go. i'm still waiting to get my car in at holden, a three week wait. :zzz: thanks

Unread postby moritz » May 14th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Here and there

It Just happened to my 06 Petrol Rodeo this week ,aparently there is nothing wrong it it and here is a service bulletin dated June 03 now get lost we have other customers to treat like fools>can fax you a copy if you like .

Unread postby olmo40 » May 16th, 2008, 10:16 am

Here and there

Did you sort the problem out? what was wrong with it?

Also looking into purchasing a rodeo, is this electronic 4WD push button thingy a common issue??

Unread postby Fisher4life » May 31st, 2008, 10:16 pm

I'm new, be nice!

Well I had an RA Rodeo for 3 years before trading up to the RA7 model last year and not once have I had a problem with the push button 4X4 selector. Works flawlessly everytime and I like the way i can select H4 while on the move if I suddenly hit a dirt or muddy track and not have to stop and fiddle with levers etc. :D

Unread postby Dustybum » May 31st, 2008, 10:28 pm

Here and there

holding all the butons down only works on late model RA s with the common rail engine. You will have to take it to a holden dealer. They will remove the drivers seat to get to the 4x4 computer. It sounds bad but they stick some wires in the connector to reset it . If you like ill post the information from the holden manual so you can do it yourself. it will save you some money and you can do the reset out on the tracks.

Unread postby ROLLUX » March 28th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Here and there

yeah rollux that'd be great. it's exactly what the ended up doing, 50 bucks in labour to get the seat out and re-fit it and reset the computer. would be nice to do yourself though, save waiting for holden to do it.

Unread postby moritz » April 19th, 2009, 9:41 am

Here and there

RESET PROCEDURE

Remove the drivers seat.
1. Prepare 2 pieces of wire with paper clips or similar at each end.
2. Ignition off
3. Keep connectors connected to transfer controller.(it is easier to get the wires in the connectors if you unbolt the controller from the floor. if it has been reset before the carpet may have already been cut, which makes it easier to get to the bolts and the connectors.)
4. Fit one wire into terminal 10 of the larger connector and terminal 16 of the smaller connector.(there is no wire in connector 16 just feed the paper clip into the hole until it touches the pin in the controller)
Fit the other wire in terminal 9 of the small conector and terminal 15.(terminal 15 has no wire in it same as terminal 16)
5. Turn the ignition on. The Check 4wd light should now go out. If not check all wires for good connection. Or there is another problem.
6. Turn the ignition off. Remove the wires. Turn the ignition on check to see if the check 4wd light stays off.

Terminal 10 is in the top left of the large connector.
Terminal 16 is in the bottom left of the small connector.
Terminal 9 is in the bottom right of the small connector.
Terminal 15 is in the second space from the left on the bottom of the small connector.
All directions are when looking at the back of the connectors(wire side)
Hope this helps:confused:
Cheers Rollux
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postby ROLLUX » April 26th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Return to Rodeo