TF Rodeo rim offset for widest tyres

Jagermonsta
I'm new, be nice!

TF Rodeo rim offset for widest tyres

Unread post by Jagermonsta » July 17th, 2018, 9:36 am

hey guys, first post and yes it's a post about wheels and tyres... and yes I've searched the forums but can't find much about 265/70r16's on a TF Rodeo, except for one post which doesn't talk about rim offsets etc

I basically want someone to check and back up my research really. anyways i'm trying to get a pretty wide tyre under the Rodeo, because traction, but i'm also trying to not do much work to the car at the same time. it's got a 2" suspension lift as it is and for now am happy with this and aren't looking to change it

my research has lead me to 265/70r16 tyres, and the cheapest rims i can find that will fit the tyres is a 16x10 with -30 offset... -30 seems like a lot? i don't mind if they stick a out of the guards but wasn't after anything crazy. next cheapest rim is a 16x10 with -44 offset which sounds crazy to me... but maybe i'm picturing it wrong. it seems difficult to get a rim that'll fit a 265/70r16, i think a 16x9 with -22 would probably fit ok without scrubbing etc but can't find such a beast?

will the above fit as far as you can see and not scrub at lock? even if it fits would a -30 rim stress anything excessively? or can anyone offer some other combo of tyres and rim offsets so i can get something wider fitted?

thanks, and sorry for another wheel and tyre post

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: TF Rodeo rim offset for widest tyres

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 17th, 2018, 10:15 am

Hi Jagermonsta, welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

Did you check out this thread - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=113607
that's the thread where we try to put & collect all this sort of stuff & all the necessary info about wheels & tyres & even what rim offsets will work or not.

You can search on JUST the thread/topic once you've got it open, so you might not even need to read thru the whole thing! ;) Or you could use Google or Bing or any of those other search engines just by putting in your search string & adding 4wdaction to it, so it searches in here. :D

Anyhow, good luck with your searching, you should be able to find something on 16" rims; it's probably still a bit soon to get too much on what 17, 18 or bigger rims work tho. ;)

Btw, the last time I looked (admittedly a while back now) 10" wide aftermarket rims weren't a legal fit without engineering anywhere in Aust on any vehicle that didn't leave the factory with them - 8" wide was the widest you could run...... That's not to say that people didn't fit wider rims, but if you do without approval, you might be risking a very expensive trip if you get sprung running unapproved rims a long way from home & you score a 'Do not Drive until replaced with legal rims' sticker in some remote place (and Yes, they do occasionally run speed traps & vehicle inspections right out in the middle of the Simpson Desert!!) That could mean a very expensive flat bed recovery &/or coughing up for a new set of rims & tyres when you least want to!! :petrified:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Jagermonsta
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jagermonsta » July 17th, 2018, 10:39 am

Hey Peter - thanks very much for the welcome and for the advice. I'll admit i'm still reading through that post, currently on page 5 but nothing especially helpful so far. I've seen a couple of people in that thread saying they're running this size of tyre but don't say what rim size and offset. i think it's mainly the rim that's holding me back on this one and 3 different tyre calculator sites give me 3 answers as to what width rim to run for a 265mm tyre :P

Knowing that 10" rims need to be engineered is certainly helpful though, thanks for the heads up!
Last edited by Jagermonsta on July 17th, 2018, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » July 17th, 2018, 12:09 pm

I don't think you need 10" rims, the tread width might be listed as 265 which is near enough to 10.4", but the side walls can pull in to fit a narrower rim. Its only a 30" tyre, so not over sized by any stretch of the imagination.

On my BT50 I have 265 70 R16's mounted on the factory standard 16x7 steel rims. They are only 1/2" wider than the stock tyres, so I'm not pushing the legalities in any way.

With a 2" lift you will probably get away with them on stock rims.

Jagermonsta
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jagermonsta » July 17th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Thanks hoyks, I think I've settled on 16x8 with -13 and 265/70R16's - reading that you've got the same tyre size on a 7" gave me a bit more confidence and led me down a path to much smaller rims.

just for anyone who was wondering, this is the main page that threw me off and made me start thinking i needed a 10" rim for a 265 tyre... and a couple of other sites suggested the same. guess you can't trust everything on the internet after all!
http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/chart ... size-chart

Return to “Rodeo”