Is this bent fins on pressure plate? Any way to check?

Smithy85
I'm new, be nice!

Is this bent fins on pressure plate? Any way to check?

Unread post by Smithy85 » February 16th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Hey guys just put a gear box back in to my tf rodeo, replaced slave cylinder as well, but when car is started I can barely get it in to reverse, I’m pretty sure I’ve bent the fins on the pressure plate, is there any way I could tell without taking the box back out? Cheers fellas👍🏻

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Is this bent fins on pressure plate? Any way to check?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Sounds more like you've got a clutch bleeding &/or a release bearing problem to me.... but it's awfully hard to diagnose this sorta stuff by remote when you can't see, hear, or feel exactly what's happening! :purplex:

Is there a rubber boot over the release fork on the bell housing? Sometimes you can peel those boots back & then use either a mirror or a remote camera/fibre optic 'snake' to see what's going on inside when you operate the clutch. Apart from doing something like that, diagnosis is really going to be a matter of how it 'behaves, sounds, & feels' & the knowledge/experience of whoever is diagnosing it.... Still, I'd be very carefully checking the clutch lines, adjustment, & slave cylinder operation before even considering removing the g/box again. :o

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Smithy85
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Smithy85 » February 19th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Hey bud, replaced the slave and getting a full clutch stroke, you can hear the bearing spin when the clutch is still in,

Never noticed any rubbers on the end of the fork at all, It’s starting to do my head in now I know why my mate gave it away hahaha I’ll let you know what the verdict is 👍🏻

Smithy85
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Smithy85 » February 19th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Ps would you bleed the clutch when the car is running like you would with brakes to get the last bit of air out? I think it’s something simple but I can’t work it out by myself lol

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » February 19th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Clutch doesn't have vacuum assist like the brakes do, so it doesn't make any difference if engine is running or not for bleeding clutch system.

Smithy85
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Smithy85 » February 20th, 2018, 7:41 am

Ahh righto so I’ve stuffed something but what, I’ve ordered a cam so see how I go

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 20th, 2018, 8:24 am

Any chance you've dislodged the release bearing lever off it's pivot/mount during the box re-install?? If the lever isn't connected to it's pivot properly then the slave cyl can push all it likes but the release bearing on the other end won't move or push on the fingers enough to do anything..... :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Smithy85
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Smithy85 » February 20th, 2018, 2:19 pm

still can get the some sort of clutch but very hard to do so

Smithy85
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Smithy85 » February 26th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Righto so I cut the old clutch pin in half extended with a bolt welded on and can select gears a lot better, so I think I’ve stuffed my throw out bearing or likewhat pete said it’s unclipped

Return to “Rodeo”