are these 1982 4WD diesel (Isuzu) utes rare? where to sell?

v6hilux
Part of the furniture

are these 1982 4WD diesel (Isuzu) utes rare? where to sell?

Unread post by v6hilux » December 30th, 2016, 8:22 am

I want to get rid this "old girl". Are they rare? This one is straight as it came from factory, apart from bumper bars, some surface rust and rusted bonnet hinges seizing causing some bending at the back of the bonnet. Never had panel damage or rust cut out. I think it's really rare.

The original owner (bought it new) next door to me wants it gone.

It's in Brisbane - Where is the best place to advertise/sell it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: are these 1982 4WD diesel (Isuzu) utes rare? where to se

Unread post by hoyks » December 31st, 2016, 8:35 am

They are probably rare as there weren't many sold because they were so gutless, wasn't a hilux and therefore they didn't sell many, I wouldn't think that the fact that there aren't many of them wouldn't make them a collectable though.

Dad had one for getting around the farm and I had some friends with one. They were a good, reliable ute, but no rocket ship (even down hill with a tail wind you would be lucky to crack 100) and without much ground clearance. They were also trying to break into a market basically owned my Toyota so had no chance of being a big seller.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 31st, 2016, 8:45 am

I'm sorry, but I think the only things about that ute that's 'rare' are its colour & that it may not have been brought into Australia as one of the fairly significant numbers imported for mobs like The Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Authority (Toyota's weren't the only vehicles they introduced us Aussies to! They brought in all sorts of stuff; Landies, Dodges, Jeeps, & heaps of ex-military vehicle marques), the various States Dept of Main Roads, & the PMG (Post-Master General) & their subsequent entity Fleets!! Sure, Toyota started making inroads from the mid to late 60's, but I reckon the 'Isuzu's' were amongst the very first small utes to hit the scene - and arguably one of the reasons Toyota (well, actually it was Hino originally, then Toyota bought them out) started producing small utes as well!! :petrified:

While I'm not 100% positive on all of this (especially the timing) I'm reasonably sure that all those Authorities (starting with SMHEA) & especially the then PMG (part of which is now Australia Post; another part of which is now Telstra!) started importing thousands of them starting in the fairly early 60's & they were certainly well established in those fleets by the early 70's(??) and in the PMG's case, continuing thru & beyond 1975 when the separate entities 'dissaggregated' (that's the word they used back then! :gurn: ) Especially from the mid 70's on, these things, along with increasing numbers of those other similar vehicles, we saw thousands of those things getting around, often in their distinctive orange, blue, or white camouflage alongside other fleet vehicles, being used as work-horses by many, both as new imports & second hand. Cash strapped Local Councils & Emergency Fire Service units bought them cheaply 2nd hand when they were retired at a fairly early age from the importing Authorities & then used them to death; & the occasional new or used vehicle even made its way into the private fleet. :frog:

As for where to sell it, Carsales will work, altho it may not ever realise anything more than the very basic vehicle value & is certainly unlikely to get any 'better price' due to its 'uniqueness' - for that you might need to track down the Facebook page or one of the websites that have been created to venerate these robust little beasts! There are sites dedicated to these vehicles alone or as one of someone's fleet; Historic Vehicle Clubs (that might have more specific/reliable info than my 'remembrances'); and sites dedicated to the history of SMHEA, DMR, PMG, Telstra, & Aust Post - any of them may be able to help raise interest in it even if they don't have a useful 'vehicles for sale' section (which is similar to the situation here!)

Still, they are robust little things that copped a heap & kept on coming back for more, admittedly always fairly slowly maybe, but nothing stopped them - they'd carry or tow anything pretty much anywhere at speeds up to 80kph; they were arguably copied by more manufacturers along the way (think of the small Toyota & Datto utes that started appearing after them for example!); and while most of them were hammered to death by the hard work they were invariably subjected to years ago, they can still be seen in reasonable numbers (considering) making their way around on their daily duties - mainly as private use vehicles these days, but there are a growing number appearing with Historic Registration (& very original as a result) as well as more being seen 'restored' & as 'replica's' in the various Historic Clubs for cars & Authorities etc.

Good Luck. :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

v6hilux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by v6hilux » December 31st, 2016, 9:38 am

Thanks for the input guys. Looking at the front of it and the mention of PMG has made a light come on in my head, in that, I can relate the shape to PMG in far gone memories.

Return to “Rodeo”