Squealing noise after changing gears - any ideas?

Kiwighost
I'm new, be nice!

Squealing noise after changing gears - any ideas?

Unread post by Kiwighost » January 25th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Well been trying to post a message to seek help for my son. He saved up and bought a Holden Rodeo 2004 Space cab diesel and after two days a squealing noise has appeared after changing gears. Runs for a few seconds and stops. Turned aircon off but still happens......I'm a mechanical numpty so help please..young fella has saved for a while so is stressed a tad.
Emails dmbruce@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance
Kiwighost
Noob 4x4-ster

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Squealing noise after changing gears - any ideas?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 25th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Hi Kiwighost, welcome to the Forum. Your question wasn't really related by anything much more than it's happening to a Rodeo in the thread that you'd added your post to, so I've given it a thread all of its own with a title that I hope briefly tells us your question & what you expect from the thread. As for answers, I'd guess you are more likely to get responses in here than you are likely to get too many emails - and you might even get a few questions trying to narrow it down a bit, so it pays to keep an eye on the thread (altho it might take a couple of weeks to get more than a couple of suggestions) rather than expect everything just yo come to you. That's just the way most Forums work. ;)

If this noise occurs after changing gears, I'd be guessing it's clutch or gearbox related noise rather than air-con!! There are quite a few existing threads on gearbox & thrust bearing noises & their resolution already here, so it could be worth spending a bit of time searching thru those & reading the likely culprits. As for squealing noises & causes in general: Air-con squealing noises usually occur as the compressor cycles & the load on the fan belt driving the compressor increases. Power steering squeals generally occur as you turn the wheel & the power steering pump loads up the drive belt. Alternator squeals usually happen as power loads change & then loads up the drive belt..... As you can see, there's a fairly distinct pattern emerging here.

That's not to say that squeals that happen after changing gears aren't ever going to be associated with how the driver has depressed the loud pedal, so it's pretty important that you try to identify exactly which pedal it is that governs the generation of the squeal - if it's the application of the loud pedal, that suggests you've got a fan belt loose & it could be that something as simple as checking/fixing the belt tension resolves it; but if it's the clutch that governs the squealing, then it's probably a dry/dead thrust bearing, a dying clutch, or something in the gearbox screaming in agony!! :eek:

Then again, there are other things that it could be in the running gear &/or driveline, (eg it could be a dry or dying uni joint, or maybe a wheel bearing or seal, possibly even a dodgy bearing in the transfer case?) but you'd need to more clearly identify exactly what is prompting it to happen, & that might be difficult. :(

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Kiwighost
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Kiwighost » January 29th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Peter, many thanks for your help with his. We have since learnt than this is the least of our problems. Due to my not getting the vehicle checked over before buying we have, through my stupidity, inherited a lemon. We found out yesterday that the frame/strut of the car just behind the front left shock had snapped clean through and been like that for some time. Further inspection has found worn bearing, dodgy clutch, leaking inter cooler, gear box issues and the list goes on. I contacted the owner who said it must have happened after my son got the car. Clearly the corrosion, metal wear and other damage indicates that, also my 18 y/o is a P auto driver so until he gets his manual licence we take him everywhere. She also called into question the validity of the mechanic...saying all the issues were clearly them trying to make a profit. They have been awesome to my son and are doing everything they can to drop the cost including dropping labour on some of the pending work. Of course I don't have a leg to stand on so my son is selling his tinnie to pay for the work and my wife and I are pitching in. I do appreciate your advice but it looks like a long road ahead.....excuse the pun :rolleyes:
Thanks again mate.
Kiwighost
Noob 4x4-ster

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 30th, 2016, 9:02 am

Bugga! :eek: That's not such a great bunch of stuff to find!! I do hope you can get the vehicle sorted & on the road....

As for the 'don't have a leg to stand on' bit, not guaranteeing anything here, but was the vehicle advertised anywhere & do you have a copy of the advert?? If it was & you do, & the advert glosses over or tells porkies about any of the issues you've found, it could pay to take the advert & the mechanics report along to your local Small Claims Court - they usually don't cost a heap & are only applicable to some types of complaints, but you might be lucky. I know of a few people who've been pleasantly surprised at what happened when the person they were having issues with was served with the papers to appear in the Small Claims Court - then again, I know others who've discovered their 'opponent' was well known by & well versed with avoiding penalties from said Courts!! But it might be worth some investigation. ;)

Regardless, all the best with the (larger then expected) repair & clean-up job, hope you don't find too many other issues along the way. But maybe your son will be able to get some 'hands on' experience with the maintenance & basic repair work?! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Rodeo”