Rodeo RA Limp Mode

Holden Rodeo RA
I'm new, be nice!

Rodeo RA Limp Mode

Unread post by Holden Rodeo RA » May 29th, 2015, 6:51 pm

I have a 2005 Holden Rodeo RA. It idles and revs fine but once driving it goes into limp mode.
I have checked/replaced throttle body sensor, EGR valve, air flow meter, battery. Fuel , Oil and Transmission filters were all changed about a month prior to this happening.
Does the computer need to be reset after replacing certain parts?
Any other suggestions of what else to check.

Matt RA7 Rodeo
Been here a while

Re: Rodeo RA Limp Mode

Unread post by Matt RA7 Rodeo » May 30th, 2015, 12:50 am

Hi

Any extra info you can give us will help us with trying to work out your problem.

Is it a petrol or diesel?
Manual or auto?

Has the limp mode been cleared from the ecu?
If it hasn't been cleared then even if you have fixed the cause, it still will be in limp mode.

If it has been cleared, is there a specific situation that causes the ute to go into limp mode.

What happened just before the ute went into limp mode the first time?

Without more info any help will be a stab in the dark.

If it is a turbo diesel it could be the MAP sensor, as you have checked/replaced most of the others.

Matt

Holden Rodeo RA
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Holden Rodeo RA » May 30th, 2015, 11:19 pm

Its a diesel, auto, turbo.
We have plugged a scanner in, the scanner powers up but does not seem to talk to the computer.
MAP sensor? haven't replaced or checked. Where is this located.
It goes into limp mode randomly and very often, there is no specific situation.
Have checked over motor thoroughly and cant see any issues there, maybe electrical related?
Thanks for your help Matt.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 31st, 2015, 12:12 pm

Could be the fuel pump in the tank is sad and not making much pressure or the brushes are worn out and the motor runs slow and intermittent. Therefore the amount of fuel delivered to the HP CRD pump will be insufficient.

That may cause/register a limp.

Has the fuel pressure been checked? On the Dmax variant you can attach a low pressure gauge to the drain of the fuel filter housing , in LHS of engine bay in Dmax and open the Yellow valve to purge water from the filter housing. In this case it will pressure the gauge. Should be around 6psi and it may also be the fuel pressure regulator on the rear of the HP pump. The earlier ones were often faulty and a replacement fixes the go slows.

Holden Rodeo RA
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Holden Rodeo RA » May 31st, 2015, 1:29 pm

Thanks a lot for that, will give it a try and let you know.

Lachnav
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Lachnav » November 26th, 2015, 9:35 pm

Hey sorry for bringing up an oldie!

Having a similar issue with my 2003 3l TD manual!
Read somewhere that you can read the fault codes using a paperclip? Thats all good but does anyone have a list of what the codes are?? :lol:

Was running fine although I've only had it for a week or so then I filled it up and then it started going into limp mode. Clears when you turn the ign on and off but soon returns.

Drained the water separator and filter (what a nightmare getting the system primed again was!! did find out I have no lift pump in the tank though) cleaned the MAF as well.

Any ideas? (It's also slow a sin not sure if that's normal)

Lackuwaxa
Been here a while

Unread post by Lackuwaxa » December 30th, 2015, 10:36 am

Mine does the same thing. Using a cheap scanned (scanguage2/EDS) does not read the fault codes, either a tech2 (holden read expensive) or an auto elec with a Gscan or other reputable scanner should be able to see the code from memory i think mine was P1651.

As lach said above, mine is also the TPS, I replaced it with an ebay special, that fixed the problem for about a year but has since also failed. if you pull the TPS off, making sure to scribe its position on the housng, you can test it with a multimeter, either testing the resistance as the arm slides along the coil, or applying 12v and seeing the output voltage (youtube has a heap of videos on this).

there is also a diagnostic procedure in the tech manual that will test to see if the loom has rubbed through or broken, need two blokes to do it though and some tools, an auto elec should be able to do it for you for a few hundred bucks in labour though.

wade

Return to “Rodeo”