Rattling/Rolling noise coming from rear of ute

Jimmy Luff
I'm new, be nice!

Rattling/Rolling noise coming from rear of ute

Unread post by Jimmy Luff » April 9th, 2015, 7:39 pm

I'm getting a rattling/rolling noise coming from what sounds like the rear of my RA7 Dual Cab. I have looked everywhere and so far replaced the rear cab mounts and rear suspension. I have been underneath the ute heaps of times and have tightened every bolt I can see. I have checked the spare and anything else I can possibly think of. The noise seems to be mainly when I turn right corners and I have to be going at a reasonable speed. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution as I am out of ideas?

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Rattling/Rolling noise coming from rear of ute

Unread post by typhoeus » April 9th, 2015, 8:46 pm

welcome to the forum mate, how long has it been there? could it be something that's dropped into the space in the sides of the tub? have you had the cover plates in the tailgate off/ tail lights out for any reason? what about exhaust hangars? anything loose behind/under the back seat?
many moons ago, I worked for GMH as a welder, quality control guys were suddenly all over our section checking things out. apparently someone had dropped a coke can inside the front y frame of a commodore & welded it up. customer complained about a similar noise in his brand new car.. .. . they found the can after warranty complaints lead to investigation. Everyone in the section got read the riot act over it.

Jimmy Luff
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jimmy Luff » April 9th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Thanks mate, only joined last month although have been reading as a non member for a month or so prior. Yeah I'm hearing you as it does sound like something is rattling round in the body. I have taken the cover plates off in the tail gate already but have not removed the tail lights. Have replaced the exhaust with a near new one and replaced all the exhaust hangers. I have removed the plastic under the rear guards to check behind but couldn't find anything. Now I am thinking I should remove the back seat and try and see if I can access the body cavity underneath. Haha I bet that sort of thing happens in factorys all the time.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » April 9th, 2015, 10:05 pm

another thing to check, I have a hilux and I had a humming noise coming from the back, it was a piece of thin metal at the front of the wheel arch vibrating at certain engine revs , presumably there to stop mud getting thrown up between the tub and the body. I stuck a bit of rubber hose behind it to stop it vibrating and noise went.

Jimmy Luff
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jimmy Luff » April 9th, 2015, 11:52 pm

No worries bud will do a bit more investigating and see how I go

Return to “Rodeo”