Got (or want) bigger tyres? Come in here

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: What tyre size?

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 20th, 2014, 5:46 pm

I just filled up my Rodeo and calculated that I got 11.5 KM's out of a litre of diesel. I think that's a great score.
Because of this and trying to keep things very sensible I have decided on 245 75 16 tyres. I don't think that they will radically change the consumption and being a daily used car I think that the 245's will do just fine.

Thanks

y b normal
Part of the furniture
Location: just behind the steering wheel,above the pedals & seat., QLD

Re: What tyre size?

Unread post by y b normal » July 4th, 2014, 7:10 pm

235 85 16 and 265 75 16 are almost identical @ 31.6" just the 265 is wider. yes mines a turbo diesel & it turns them easily. I only grabbed the 235's cos they were a bargain. dam glad I did. 5 tryres with 10mm tread on rims for $350. :D
get in, sit down, shut up....& hang on....

simplify... declutter... and go forth with purpose.

tagan_1996
Here and there

Rodeo rims

Unread post by tagan_1996 » July 29th, 2014, 9:44 am

gday i have a 2000 single cab 4x4 rodeo ute and want to get new rims and tyres for it but was not sure how big a tyres i can go without having problems?? or what size rims to go as far as offset and things go?? car will be getting a 2 inch lifted soon as well if that helps. would love to hear what other people are running cheers

y b normal
Part of the furniture
Location: just behind the steering wheel,above the pedals & seat., QLD

Re: Got bigger tyres? Come in here

Unread post by y b normal » August 3rd, 2014, 6:42 pm

0 or +10 offset tagan. in 15" or 16" any more than + 10 & the tyres will be out side the guards. tyre diameter is up to you. but I love my 235 wide for the road & 265 wide for off road. 32" diameter. :thumb: :truck: :D
get in, sit down, shut up....& hang on....

simplify... declutter... and go forth with purpose.

Hotmatt27
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Got (or want) bigger tyres? Come in here

Unread post by Hotmatt27 » August 12th, 2014, 9:30 am

I have 32x11.5 bighorns on my ra, they fit on a 2" lift and 1" body, or 2" with cut guards, with a -23 offset, no scrub! I'm playing with offsets for 33x13.5 mudzilla or 34x11.5 jungle Trekkers.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 29th, 2014, 5:29 pm

I ended up with a cheap second hand set 265 x 75 x 16 on a set of black Sunnies from my Patrol. I have not driven it yet as my son did this for me. I let you know how things are going....It looks good though!

165rodeo
I'm new, be nice!

Lift, Biggest tryes and offset!

Unread post by 165rodeo » February 12th, 2015, 9:31 am

Hi Everyone, I have a 2000 model tf 2.8 turbo diesels dual cab with a tub tray, it is completely stock. This is my first car and I'm looking at making it a bit bigger and giving myself a little bit more clearance as i do my fair share of 4wding.
The lift I'm looking at getting is in the link below any info anyone has about this lift would be appreciated?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-RODEO ... 5b0980cf44

After the lift I Will be looking at new rims and tires i Want to get 32inch maxxis bighorns, just wondering if these will fit and be able to be turned once i have the Extra 2 inchs under the car? as I already know they are just a little to big for my car stock.
And would offset would yours recommend on my new rims? I want my tires to stick out over the guards by at least and inch

st_za
Here and there

Re: Lift, Biggest tryes and offset!

Unread post by st_za » February 12th, 2015, 4:59 pm

165rodeo wrote:The lift I'm looking at getting is in the link below any info anyone has about this lift would be appreciated?
There are too many question-marks in that kit - cheap foam cell shocks, extended shackles (illegal in most states), no springs (to keep costs low?) but with torsion bars (usually a few hundred $ on their own so their quality is questionable).

My experience with suspension (tyres and brakes too) has always been: Ridiculously cheap usually means low quality which will either get you killed or you will end up buying twice.
165rodeo wrote:After the lift I Will be looking at new rims and tires i Want to get 32inch maxxis bighorns, just wondering if these will fit and be able to be turned once i have the Extra 2 inchs under the car? as I already know they are just a little to big for my car stock.
You will almost certainly need body lift along with suspension lift and probably some more work and money to make anything larger than 31" fit properly.
165rodeo wrote:And would offset would yours recommend on my new rims? I want my tires to stick out over the guards by at least and inch
Zero or -10 offset 15x8 wheels should get the look you want but personally, I would spend the extra money and work required for 32" wide-track wheels on other things which will get you further than an extra 12.5mm diff clearance off-road.

I run 31" Bighorns on 15x8 steel wheels with +20 or +24 offset (can't remember), 25mm body lift and 30-40mm (sagged) suspension lift. They clear the brakes, don't rub at all, barely stick out past the fender and won't chew on anything at full suspension compression but my 2001 2.8DT's clutch is taking a hammering from the lower effective drive ratio.
The average human walks 1,500km per year and drinks 83L of beer which means we're getting 18km/L.

Kellys_
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Kellys_ » February 23rd, 2015, 6:25 pm

are 31x10.50r15 legal for insurance purposes (NSW) on a rodeo ra 2007 (isuzu d-max 2009-2011)??
stock size is 245/70r16

Kellys_
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Kellys_ » April 20th, 2015, 3:06 pm

fitted 265/75/16 (32"s) on stock suspension. but i did lift the front about 1.5" inches cost me $1100 flat for 4 GTradial Adventuro MT and 4 king terra black steelies 16x8 with black bolts lock nuts and centre caps!! Girls got stance now :)
IMG_1814.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Lift, Biggest tryes and offset!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 20th, 2015, 6:10 pm

165rodeo wrote:...I want my tires to stick out over the guards by at least and inch
Apart from all the width increase & offset rules, you do realise that any tyre tread sticking out beyond the guards is illegal/un-roadworthy in all States of Aust - if you can touch tyre tread with a straight edge or a Police Defect Sticker folder when either is held against the guard & lowered straight down onto the tyre, then said Defect Sticker folder will most likely be put into use!! :(

If the folder will rest on the tread unaided, there's a good chance the defect sticker that will almost certainly be issued will require trailering the vehicle home/to the nearest place of repair!! :eek:

So if you want to keep it legal & roadworthy, you'd better keep the tread under the guards... If you don't want to buy wider flares, did you know that the placcy 'lawn edging' you can get from hardware/gardening stores cheaply can make a very good cheap & flexible guard extension?! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Dazza52
I'm new, be nice!

Rim size good or bad 15" to 16"

Unread post by Dazza52 » November 14th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Just wondering the advantages and disadvantages of swapping standard 15" rims on a RA Rodeo to 16" alloy rims do you get better or worse fuel economy does it put your speedo out much does it exert more stress on things. Just curious as I can get some cheap 16" rims and tyres but not sure if its really worth it or not.
Thanks ALL
Dazza52

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 14th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Fitting a Larger dia rim/tyre combo will raise your 'low gear', so off roading may be adversely impacted by that..... but the larger rolling dia will probably make it easier to roll over obstacles IF your engine can drive it thru the taller gearing. That can make for better fuel economy on the road, at least theoretically; but the bigger wheel dia will also lift the vehicle a little (by 1/2 the dia increase) so that's likely to increase the wind resistance at hwy speeds your engine hasta shove thru the air, & that means that unless you've already got tonnes of torque on tap right across the rev range, you usually end up with no better fuel economy at absolute best, & often it'll end up a whole lot worse. But that might just be 'seems' - cos your tyre rolling dia has changed, the speedo & odo won't be reporting distance or speed the way they were, so while you might think you're doing the same speed & travelling the same km as you used to, but you'll actually be travelling faster (& working the engine harder) for any given speed AND doing fewer km (less revs per set distance) so it'll only LOOK like your fuel economy is much worse unless you've corrected for both speed & odo inaccuracies. ;)

About speedo correction/accuracy, pretty much all vehicles leave the factory with speedo's that read somewhat faster than your actual speed & have odo's that suggest you've travelled a few more km than you actually have - our ADR's allow them to read as much as 10% over/more but not under at all - so by fitting taller tyres (meaning they need to do fewer revs per km) you might actually make your speedo & possibly odo too somewhat closer to accurate; just so long as you don't go any bigger'n a 10% increase, cos then they start reading out the other way!! Btw, Many people 'think' their odo's are dead accurate from the factory, but usually that's just because it's so much harder to discern a 10% discrepancy in 1 or 2 km (10% max is a max discrepancy of less than 10m out of every 100m!) than it is to see the difference between 100 kph & 110 kph - and no matter what you might 'think', both speedo's & odo's are driven by the same rotating machinery & if you change the 'revs per km' that the tyre makes you travel over the ground, then both indicators also hafta change! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » November 15th, 2015, 3:29 pm

swapping standard 15" rims on a RA Rodeo to 16" alloy rims will change NOTHING! It will not effect a thing! It is your tyre diameter/size that will make a difference like Peter said.
But a change of rims will not change a thing.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Do your own calculations here.

Cheers

danbran
I'm new, be nice!

RA rodeo tyre and lift options!

Unread post by danbran » January 2nd, 2016, 4:16 pm

Hi just bought my first 4x4 its a 2006 rodeo,
its stock as and space cab tray,
Im willing to spend some money on it! and would like a 2 inch lift and decent tyres,

do I get the two inch lift first or tyres first?
also what size tyres are ideal for RA rodeos, 31? 32? 33?
daniel

Return to “Rodeo”