RA started motor failing... any ideas? Too much mud/water?

emosh99
Here and there

RA started motor failing... any ideas? Too much mud/water?

Unread post by emosh99 » February 27th, 2011, 12:05 am

Related details: RA turbo diesel manual - 75,000kms - auto solenoid/duel battery setup.

Hey guys

After a few trips off road, the rodeo has help up exceptionally but for the last week my ra has been struggling to start.

First i thought it could be the main battery, as it struggled to turn over. Today she completely failed to turn, it just clicks and does nothing. So I hit the switches of my duel battery setup thinking she will start straight away and nothing! I had to roll start her 3 times today.

I was 99% sure it was the starter motor till i put a set of jumper leads on and she started straight away... I'm thinking either the solenoid isn't getting enough current or the starter itself just gave up.

So far i have:
-Checked all battery terminals/fuses/relays - they all appear fine
-Tested both the batteries and they seem like they have plenty of juice and pump out more then enough amps
-Alternator seems to be working fine
-I only had a brief look in the dark but I think i see the started motor on the passenger side of the car, when u look through the wheel arch it looks like a starter motor?
-Got a rod and a hammer and hit it a few times (old wifes tale or does this actually work?)

You can hear the solenoid clicking over but it literally does nothing else. When the car is running and you turn the key usually you can hear a loud and fast grinding noise but when i do it now, all i can hear again is the solenoid clicking over.

Going to take her to an auto elec on monday unless you guys have any ideas I can try?

Thank in advance!

azzad
Avid Poster

Re: RA started motor failing... any ideas? Too much mud/wate

Unread post by azzad » February 27th, 2011, 7:00 am

emosh99 wrote:When the car is running and you turn the key usually you can hear a loud and fast grinding noise but when i do it now, all i can hear again is the solenoid clicking over.
You seriously do this :eek:

Ducky103
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ducky103 » February 27th, 2011, 8:22 am

Start with your battery. Have seen this happen to a few diesel Rodeo's giving all the syptons of a dud starter motor. Replaced the battery and all is good again. The starter motors in the diesel Rodeo's are a fairly robust design and don't often give any troubles.

emosh99
Here and there

Unread post by emosh99 » February 27th, 2011, 9:12 am

azzad

Lol I meant when you hear someone else accidentally try start the car when it was already on, thought it would be a good way to test the starter motor

van zeyl87
Here and there

Unread post by van zeyl87 » April 30th, 2011, 10:05 am

sounds like its time to replace it
when mine went the gear broke in it

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » April 30th, 2011, 10:51 am

Sounds like what happened to my jack starter, seems like a flat batt, I took mine out and not an easy job at all, then took it to the auto elects, they showed me where the contacts were,they were worn out and sold me the new contacts $ 15 and told me how to do it, I cleaned it out as needed, Great ! ! replacing the contacts are easy but would be good to let the elect guy make sure everything else in there is ok.

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » May 2nd, 2011, 2:24 pm

It's been 2 months since your OP emosh99. Have you fixed your problem yet?
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

Lackuwaxa
Been here a while

Unread post by Lackuwaxa » December 30th, 2015, 10:22 am

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread. My RA is doing exactly the same thing. As Ducky suggested I have replaced the battery, was running an Optima Yellow top after the old one died which isn't ideal (was part of my dual setup). I grabbed a century N70zzl4wd so hopefully that will do the trick. I have also replaced the battery clamps as they were a little (alot) worn. Still the same problem. I can clutch start, which isn't an ideal solution by yourself. So its time to pull out the starter motor .. Holy bat crap .. what is the secret here, I can see the little guy through the wheel arch, below are the hard lines for the ABS and above is the fuel filter .. how does a sane person remove this guy?

looking forward to your replies

Wade

Lackuwaxa
Been here a while

Unread post by Lackuwaxa » December 30th, 2015, 6:39 pm

so got it out, removing the B+ and the sense was ... challenging. removing the bolts was frustration personified. but getting the starter out ... wow that's not easy, kinda got to hold your tongue at a odd angle and slip and manipulate the starter out of the spot around the dipstick, fuel filter and all the other lines there .. Mr Isuzu and Mr Holden definitely weren't thinking of the poor bloke pulling this guy out.

So last question, is it worth rebuilding a starter (bench tested and it is RS) or repair by replacement ..

Wade

Lackuwaxa
Been here a while

Unread post by Lackuwaxa » December 30th, 2015, 11:26 pm

Well if anyone is interested the genuine starter is a Hitachi s13-555B.. However the positive brush plate isn't a service item, and Burton's don't have a negative plate.. So it's a repair by replacement.. Alabama have a knock off unit for$40USD or you an get a reputable ish one for bout the $200 mark..

Cheers

Wade

Return to “Rodeo”