Rodeo RA LX recovery point

jscottnjs
I'm new, be nice!

Rodeo RA LX recovery point

Unread post by jscottnjs » February 11th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Hi,

I need some help please, trying to find rated recovery point for this vehicle is a nightmare as has been discussed on here in the past. I have taken some pics of my Rodeo and it seems there is something bolted onto the factory tow point or am i mistaken. I was even thinking maybe its a mount for the bull bar. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first 4wd i am still very green
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Rodeo RA LX recovery point

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Certainly LOOKS like it's a mount or part of a mount for the bull bar & not a recovery point as such! Can you see or feel any more up inside the outer skin of the bar itself??

When air bags hit the scene, most bull bars went from being rigidly mounted directly to the chassis rails with fairly simple & solid plates (which transfer a LOT of force directly into the main structure when subject to impacts) to using gradually deformable mounts that were bolted to the chassis on that end & supported the bull bar on the other end. That way the bar itself could still be rigid & strong enough to fend off an errant roo or protect the front end from collapsing entirely when you nudged that rock or tree you just slipped into alongside the track, and doing that all without passing enough shock load into the main structure to trigger the air bags unless it was really warranted - and the only bit that really needed to be most carefully manufactured & air bag compliant tested etc was the bolt on/in mount!!

And what you've shown us there in those pics looks very much like one of those mounts. Multi 'bolt to frame' points; fairly substantial area of contact material braced & bracketed to be able to support a fair weight or impact, but not solid enough to transfer ALL the impact shock loading into the frame/passenger protection capsule (so the mount forms part of or works in concert with the crumple zone or crush cans etc); and providing alternative tie-down or light tow points for any of those OE features which may have been covered or used by the mount to tie it into the frame.... but not snatch or rated recovery facilities. If the other end has a fairly wide/long surface area that supports the bar/inner bumper skin, then that will pretty much confirm it. Or you could check with whoever the bar manufacturer is to see if they used removable/replacable mounting points between the frame & the bar.... I'd guess they do & that's what you've got there. :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

amtravic1
Been here a while

Unread post by amtravic1 » February 13th, 2018, 6:32 am

I believe Roadsafe will have some very soon but by the look of it, it wont be cheap.

ian.gonzo
Here and there

Unread post by ian.gonzo » February 13th, 2018, 11:42 am

This looks to me to be a fairly crude attempt to create a recovery point, personally I would never try to snatch from this point. My oponion only.

Return to “Rodeo”