whats the difference between colorado and d-max??

Australia's Own
khany454
Avid Poster

whats the difference between colorado and d-max??

Unread post by khany454 » August 27th, 2011, 4:45 pm

gday all, just wondering what is the difference between the colorado and d-max? obviously the front is different but im talking things like the running gear, i always thought they were the same but have been told they are different.
anyone care to enlighten me?

cheers!

Oigle
Avid Poster

Re: whats the difference between colorado and d-max??

Unread post by Oigle » September 10th, 2011, 3:57 am

Hello Khany
They are effectively the same. The D-Max is almost identical to the MY07 RA Rodeo, but built in the Mitsubishi/Isuzu plant in Bangkok, whilst the RC Colorado (and MY07 RA Rodeo) is built in the GM plant in Rayong. They share the same chassis (model for model) and in the case of the 3.0 L diesel, the same engine (4JJ1 by Isuzu). There have been some minor engine upgrades since the MY07, but they were done to both Isuzu and Holden vehicles (same engine plant supplies the engines). There will be minor trim differences and things like radios will be different, but the chassis, body and powertrain are all almost identical.
Cheers Oigle

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 10th, 2011, 3:19 pm

The most significant difference appears to be that the spelling in their names is different!

Altho I think Isuzu reserved a little bit of power/performance or maybe just tuning & balance for the diesel D-Max, cos every one of them I've driven has felt that little bit more responsive than the virtually identical Colorado's! Nothing you could pin a label on, just a 'seat of the pants' feeling. Both Nice Utes.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

khany454
Avid Poster

Unread post by khany454 » September 13th, 2011, 11:38 pm

thanks fellas, yeah thats what i always thought, same s**t different stink.
reason i asked is because i mentioned to a friend that we were looking at buyin a colorado and her "mechanic" boyfriend says get the isuzu, better motor an box etc etc blah blah.
i said im pretty certain they have the same running gear but he didnt wanna hear it lol

colomann
Here and there

Unread post by colomann » September 18th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Yeah, a guy at work has been going at me all the time- I've got a 2011 collie, hes got a 2010 DMAX, yet he says one has a timing chain one has a belt, his has an extra chassis rail and he keeps going on- thinks his has more kws and trq .. hes full of ***** i think haha

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 18th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Apart from the front sheet metal and lights/radio/trim which does change from different manufacturers the Engine ECU on the Colorado is a Delco unit and different to the Dmax item. Holden likes to control a few things on designs they source/steal from other manufacturers. Holden has used Nissan motors, German Opel engines, Isuzu engines in various models and vehicles. They just pick and choose to make the most money.

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » November 9th, 2012, 1:02 pm

colomann wrote:Yeah, a guy at work has been going at me all the time- I've got a 2011 collie, hes got a 2010 DMAX, yet he says one has a timing chain one has a belt, his has an extra chassis rail and he keeps going on- thinks his has more kws and trq .. hes full of **** i think haha
They both have timing chains. The only thing that's different, besides the name, panels and trim, is the ECU as mydmax said.
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

Return to “General Holden”